Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Any HID kits for the 08 lancers?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2007, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any HID kits for the 08 lancers?

Like the title says...Also if i installed an HID kit would it void my warranty??
Old May 15, 2007, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

The HID kit is plug and play. There's no cutting wires or anything. I dont think it'd void the warranty, but you could always unplug it before taking it in.
Old May 15, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

^I'm sure their are, unless the bulb is a different design or brand new for some reason. From other '08 owners, are the bulbs 900x? Thx
Old May 15, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

The bulbs are 9005 and 9006. The only thing I would be worried about would be that the low bulbs are used for the driving lights as well. There is a lower voltage that goes to the bulbs for the daytime running lights as opposed to the regular low beams. I'm not sure how the ballasts of an HID setup would handle this...
Old May 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

That's one of my main issues as well, Bradley. I'm looking at the system to see if they can be transfered to the highs (like the 00-03 Impala - hopefully it'll be as easy to change as the Impalas are too). If so then an HID setup would work pretty well. It's not very good for the ballasts to run low beams on the HIDs.

t Mystic Korean: Which HID kit are you looking at? Another concern of mine is that a lot of ballasts shipped with certain kits are of unknown or unreliable origin.
Old May 15, 2007, 01:59 PM

I saw a post in the classifieds lancer section from autodoodad.com that was selling HID kits to the members at a discount price. Do you guys know anything about those?
Old May 15, 2007, 02:42 PM

HID - Lancer 2008

Old May 15, 2007, 04:34 PM

HID Kit

I tried installing my HID kit from the 07 Civic I traded in for the Lancer, but becuase the low beams are used as DRL, it does not work. I am trying to figure out how to reroute the signal to the high beam, like 99% of other cars that have DRL use. If you try and hook the HID up the way the lights are now, it causes the lights to flicker and can ruin the bulbs and ballasts.
Old May 16, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

I'm also working on a DRL bypass/reroute.

And it's getting quite complicated, what with two threads in different areas about the same thing. Maybe they could be merged?
Old May 16, 2007, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye
I'm also working on a DRL bypass/reroute.

And it's getting quite complicated, what with two threads in different areas about the same thing. Maybe they could be merged?

Sorry about that, mods please merge. BTW, Hakeye keep us updated on your situation.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I will. I've done a few preliminary tests on some of the wiring, but nothing is proving itself usable yet. I'll probably hit it real hard on Saturday.
Old May 16, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Quick update - CRAP.

Well if anyone else is working on this then you know that pulling the DRL fuse does absolutely nothing. But while testing other fuses and relays I came across this little nugget:

The DRL system is not only tied into the lowbeams, but the highbeams as well. If you hit your highs, you'll notice that the lows stay on. Not at normal power though; they kick back down to DRL. This is good because once the system is bypassed the HIDs won't stay on when you kick to high thus not damaging the ballasts. This is bad because A) that's more stuff to track down and figure out and B) we're pretty much looking at a bypass, not a reroute. It'd be very hard to reroute the DRL system through the highs if the system kicks back on when the highs are active.
Old May 17, 2007, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Well guys I could probably use some help on this.

There's gotta be a relay somewhere for this, unless it's hardcoded in the ECU. There's a relay slot in the fusebox but it's empty. I'm really thinking it may be in the ECU, and if it is well that pretty much kills the idea until a programmer comes out.
Old May 21, 2007, 10:12 AM

hawkeye any updates?
Old May 21, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Nope. My weekend was shot when my little bro pulled up in his little YJ. Leaking 3 qt of oil out of the main seal each day; I spent the entire weekend trying to repair the thing. Hopefully it'll be done sometime this week so I can focus on the DRLs again. I'm going to be out all next weekend (vacation vacation lol) but I have some 'reading material' on its way that hopefully will help me figure the system out.

Quick Reply: Any HID kits for the 08 lancers?