Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

HPDE insurance

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HPDE insurance

I currently have Allstate insurance and as of October 2005 Allstate is not covering any kind of accident done on "any racing surface." This includes, but is not limited to, race track, auto-x event, paddock, drag strip, etc.

In other words I am screwed if I tag my car in HPDE's. Does anyone know First hand, not what they read online, what other insurance companies offer for hpde?

Does anyone know first hand about supplemental insurance? There is a company called American Collectors Insurance, supposedly they offer suplemental insurance for HPDE's. Also as a member of NASA they offer a purported extensive insurance coverage.

Ultimately, Does anyone have experience with any insurance claims due to track related accidents?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

There are no insruace plans from allstate that cover racing of any form. Typicaly when you get into an accident, you drag the car off the track and take the hit, that's the risk of HPDE, that's why NASA has HPDE class systems so an instrutor can guide you throuhg you first steps. Also, HPDE is not considered a racing event as it is not timed but the insurance still will not cover any damage.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Some places consider their events "drivers education events". As such they may be seen differently by some but if the above is true in that "any racing surface." is involved then it changes things.

I am also interested in finding an answer to the problem. I do not intend to bend up my ride but if the worst happens I would not mind having some coverage.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

if u are that cautious, you should remove your plates when running HPDE
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inslowoutfast
I currently have Allstate insurance and as of October 2005 Allstate is not covering any kind of accident done on "any racing surface." This includes, but is not limited to, race track, auto-x event, paddock, drag strip, etc.

In other words I am screwed if I tag my car in HPDE's. Does anyone know First hand, not what they read online, what other insurance companies offer for hpde?

Does anyone know first hand about supplemental insurance? There is a company called American Collectors Insurance, supposedly they offer suplemental insurance for HPDE's. Also as a member of NASA they offer a purported extensive insurance coverage.

Ultimately, Does anyone have experience with any insurance claims due to track related accidents?
That's interesting. Allstate covered the total loss of my 350Z at the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic (an HPDE event) in Aug. 2004, knowing exactly what happened. I do not recall receiving any amendment to my policy that excludes "racing surfaces" since then. I wonder if Allstate policies in NY are different than those in CA (or I could have just missed the new exclusion). Hmmmmm . . .
Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

subscribing to this one. I have Allstate as well.

Maybe I need to request a copy of my policy.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ballistic speed
There are no insruace plans from allstate that cover racing of any form. Typicaly when you get into an accident, you drag the car off the track and take the hit, that's the risk of HPDE, that's why NASA has HPDE class systems so an instrutor can guide you throuhg you first steps. Also, HPDE is not considered a racing event as it is not timed but the insurance still will not cover any damage.
Depends on your company. My Nationwide coverage covers me no matter where I am as long as I am not racing or being timed. They view it as more of a driving school than a racing event....
a lot of insurance companies encourage driving schools.

Again, I HPDE and I have Natiowide. I am covered. A buddy of mine has a 350Z and State Farm... he is covered also under the same conditions.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

In my current allstate policy it is clearly stated in my exclusion section that high performance driving is not covered.

Richard EVO, Would you be able to look at your current policy and see if that exclusion is now in there?

I just contacted American Collectors Insurance and they have dicontinued DE coverage.

Talon,
Can you verify that there is no exclusion on your cirrent policy? And your friends too?

If there is no no such exclusion for HPDE. I am going to visit a state farm or nationwide broker this week and ask them about all their exclusions.

If it is true I am going to make the switch even if my premiums will be $300-600 higher a year. It just gives me piece of mind.

Last edited by inslowoutfast; Mar 12, 2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

State Farm here, I am covered. My agent and I have had LONG talks about this. Also a friend wrecked his Evo auto-xing a couple years ago ($10k damage) and State Farm covered that as well.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Farmers here and they exclude "racing and or timed events"
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

I just had one of my clients (owns a 100+ employee independent insurance agency) look into this for me. He had one of his assistants look up coverage from all their available carriers.

All of their carriers exclude coverage on any "racing surfaces", not just timed events. It sounds like they want to be able to exclude HPDE accidents. Interesting the wording was the same as Allstate-maybe an industry trend?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Updates:

I just got verification from a friend that Geico will cover any educational driving courses regardless of what racing/non-racing surface/venue it is hosted on.

He called Geico directly.

We'll be hitting Limerock Park next week.

Lastly, a statefarm agent will be contacting an underwriter to look into this for me. The agent sounded really suspicious when I asked for the coverage exclusions. As if I told him I robbed a bank.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it appears that all the major carriers are going to the "surface used for racing" language, so they don't have to pay a claim no matter what you were doing on that surface. It removes the ambiguity of driver safety school vs. HPDE vs. racing. Looks like the days of going to the track and being fully covered by your regular street insurance are fading fast. I'm sure we will continue to hear stories "I crashed at the track and they covered me" for the next couple years, but probably not much longer after that.

Of course some people pay cash for a tow to a public road and they file a claim saying the accident occured there, but that's insurance fraud, so I wouldn't recommend that.

There are some specialized companies out there that specifically cover your car during HPDE events, but they usually have a $5000 decuctible and high premiums, like 5% of the declared value of your car for only 10 track days. They're really only useful if you total your car. And they don't cover liability, just car damage.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:19 PM

Today, I called Geico in searching for an insurance for HPDE. The represent told me that there is a policy that excludes accident on any racing surface.

Originally Posted by inslowoutfast
Updates:

I just got verification from a friend that Geico will cover any educational driving courses regardless of what racing/non-racing surface/venue it is hosted on.

He called Geico directly.

We'll be hitting Limerock Park next week.

Lastly, a statefarm agent will be contacting an underwriter to look into this for me. The agent sounded really suspicious when I asked for the coverage exclusions. As if I told him I robbed a bank.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 992gnt
State Farm here, I am covered. My agent and I have had LONG talks about this. Also a friend wrecked his Evo auto-xing a couple years ago ($10k damage) and State Farm covered that as well.
Were those talks before or after November 15, 2006?

Quick Reply: HPDE insurance