Notices
ECU Flash

Restrictor Pill pics - IX Jestrtuning flash *pics*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restrictor Pill pics - IX Jestrtuning flash

I'd like to share some pics that I took of the boost solenoid restrictor pill and it's location just in case there are others who are contemplating going the route that I did with a Jestrtuning IX M1 flash. It was recommended that I remove the restrictor pill after flashing the rom to gain an extra 2psi of boost. I was initially concerned about removing anything on this otherwise stock IX MR but Jestrtuning assured me no harm would come from doing it and that the flash maps were configured to compensate for spikes in boost that others here have reported after they had removed the pill. After a test drive the car feels very strong and pulls very smoothly. I noticed that the boost gauge never went past 1.5 bar as it did before I uninstalled the pill but it did stay at or close to 1.5 a little longer than before. Here's a great write up by a fellow evom member on accessing the boost solenoid: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...boost+solenoid

Luckily, I was able to move the air box out of the way enough for me to access the line with the pill in it. I had to gently massage the pill out of the line with needle nose pliers.

This next pic shows the boost solenoid and the connector that the line came off of.

This picture is the pill removed. Just like a doctor removing a slug from a patient.

I'd like to again thank Jestrtuning for their support. I was very paranoid of doing a flash let alone actually removing something from my car. All in all I am very pleased with the results. The car is definitely alive now.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this PILL on all of the evo's..
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VenomEVO8
Is this PILL on all of the evo's..

yup
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
nice thread? lol
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
Account Disabled

I prefer to drill the pill than to remove it - either way similar result
Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I prefer to drill the pill than to remove it - either way similar result
Why?
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

The HOW-TO link shows removal of two pills, not one. I'm getting a tune done by John/Jestr now and would like to check with you if you removed both pills, or just the one above
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ghoonk
The HOW-TO link shows removal of two pills, not one. I'm getting a tune done by John/Jestr now and would like to check with you if you removed both pills, or just the one above
I removed just the one in the picture above.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its not necessary to remove both of the pills..

The pill on the vacuum source by the turbo sets the base restriction, around 14-15psi or so.. If you remove it, you will get wastegate pressure which is 10.5psi

The upper pill on the solenoid is the one you can remove that will give you the most control..

Removing both will give you the most range, but may be the most difficult to set up in the ECU..

Trial and error is your friend..
Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Correct name for "pill" is orifice

Last edited by C6C6CH3vo; Nov 22, 2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I just replaced the lines when I installed my boost controller. Wastegate pressure is .81-.83 kg/cm2 or 11.5-12 PSI.

I like to drive my car at 14 psi daily so I dont get bored of 20 psi and want more mods.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

I take us are using an mbc or ebc don't need to do this since we replace most of those boost lines anyways. Only ones using a flash to control their boost control, this is recommended.
Old Nov 22, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Are all of JESTR tunes tuned for the restrictor out? Hmmm...
Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Are all of JESTR tunes tuned for the restrictor out? Hmmm...
My understanding is the M1 flash that I have is capable of adjusting accordingly when the pill is removed. And just to update my first post regarding not seeing boost go past 1.5, I must not have been getting on it as hard as I originally thought because I have since been able to get boost past the 1.5 bar on the stock gauge. I believe its because the backroads I was testing on weren't that long and I've had to slow down when I reach a bend in the road. Anyway, I've taken the car on a long 20 mile straightaway and I've been able to really put the pedal to the metal and I would guess it's boosting at 1.7 bar and hovers there all the way to redline. The car pulls harder than ever.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 01:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by savaho
My understanding is the M1 flash that I have is capable of adjusting accordingly when the pill is removed. And just to update my first post regarding not seeing boost go past 1.5, I must not have been getting on it as hard as I originally thought because I have since been able to get boost past the 1.5 bar on the stock gauge. I believe its because the backroads I was testing on weren't that long and I've had to slow down when I reach a bend in the road. Anyway, I've taken the car on a long 20 mile straightaway and I've been able to really put the pedal to the metal and I would guess it's boosting at 1.7 bar and hovers there all the way to redline. The car pulls harder than ever.
what octane level are you running???? if 91, just to be safe maybe a little additive or mixture of higher octane to be safe 93 maybe......... spiking at 1.7 bar isnt to bad but i rather be safe then sorry!!!!!!!

http://www.motorsportsracingfuels.co...alculator.html

this will help u mix the gas up

Quick Reply: Restrictor Pill pics - IX Jestrtuning flash *pics*