Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Eclipsed INTRO

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eclipsed INTRO

Hello there fellow Mitsu enthusiasts!

I'm about a week into my exploration of this site, and figured I'd take a moment for a quick introduction.
ehhh.... who'm I kidding. I'm long-winded as hell. I'll probably ramble on for a bit.

I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Eclipse GS (4G64) 5-spd....blah blah.
<---- info to the left.
PICTURE below: (kinda older)

I've been a member of a similar online community, Club3g.com, since shortly after I bought the car. I've been quite active over there, as obviated by My Profile.

I joined up on this site with the hopes of correcting what I see as a grevious error on Mitsubishi Motors behalf.... That being their decision to introduce a V6 in the third gen Eclipse as their "performance" engine, and stick us poor 4-bangers with a SOHC, non-turbo'd, 160HP "economy" engine.
I've heard mention of how compatible some of the EVO heads are with my bottom end (as well as the... Kia Optima? ) I've already spent some time researching this on this site, and will be using the old Search button to find out more!
So far, I'm very impressed at how performance oriented most of you EVO guys are! (Lots of us Eclipse owners go for "show" as well.... it's the nature of the cars, I suppose. )

So..... if anybody would like to in my quest to transform my Eclipse into a performer along the lines of the Evo, feel free to point me in the right direction with some additional info and/or links!

ThanX!
-Eclipsed(EVO)

Last edited by Eclipsed(EVO); Nov 11, 2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to evolutionm.net
Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:44 AM

Thanks!

I'm digging your EVO.... and that Talon Vid's pretty sick! (DSM destroyer?)
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thankyou, I like my Evo.

I think as a whole Mitsubishi makes a nice line of cars.

That was my friends Talon. After the video, it had more work
done to it and became even faster.

Last edited by Spec'd; Nov 12, 2006 at 01:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sup man, and welcome! I think I remember you from the old forums: http://www.neweclipse.org

Old Nov 13, 2006, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

I love the Eclipse and owned the GST. I believed they messed up big time by not making the Eclipse a Turbo. I don't see them retaining their values. But you can always bolt on a turbo.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

I've heard they have their issues, but try www.rippmods.com
Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:05 AM

Talking feedback x3

tuffguy: Hi there! It looks like you're no stranger to Mitsu's offerings. Moving up through the ranks? ...and down in cylinders...
Though I've heard of neweclipse.org through a local guy (he still has the decal on his back fender.... ), I've never visited the site myself. I've only had my Eclipse for a little under a year at this point, so perhaps you're thinking of him? Anyway, thanx 4 da !!

evo72man:
I believe you're right. The 2g's (like your former GST?) are generally more favored, and seem to be holding their value a bit better than the more recent run. I got mine below the (already low) KBB value, though...
Also... you're correct, a 4g63 turbo manifold and assembly bolts right up to my 4g64! My plan, though, is to wait a bit to eventually do a bit more "building" of the engine. I REALLY want to "bolt on" a twin-cam head before I jump into the complexities of turbo....

s2kguy: I've heard the same.... I'm a bit of a "forum *****" on www.club3g.com , and have heard far too many negative reviews/comments on their support (or lack thereof), misleading marketing, and generally poorly engineered or thought-out products to really want to go that route.
.... not to mention the problems a couple local guys are having with their SDS setups from RIPP.
Still, thanks for the ....."help"

Last edited by Eclipsed(EVO); Nov 15, 2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Sold my 99 GST Spyder for my EVO. DSM for life!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 07:40 AM

Another loyalist!

.....didn't "DSM" end in 2000, though? Is your '05 Evo still considered a Diamond Star Motors product even though Daimler-Chrysler had naught to do with it?

PS- .....sell me your Evo VIII head?
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:15 AM

from what i found the evoeclipse is alive the brakes mount up so the rims mount up so i believe you can mate the whole head set up to 4g64
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:24 AM

Yeah, I've heard the entire head is a direct bolt-on as well. This is exclusively from the EVOVIII and EVOIX, I've gathered... but I could be wrong.
Is this a 4g63 engine's head I'd be working with? If so, it's just the same as the 2g Eclipse GS-T or GSX... except transversely mounted, am I right?

Assuming all this to be correct, my next question would be how to get exhaust manifold piping to synch up properly. At first, I believe I'd like to keep my build in the NA form.
Later, I can begin to tackle the more complex turbo installation... likely using any 4g63t manifold and perhaps even the 2g turbo?

As anyone reading this can probably tell, I'm extremely new to all this. Sometimes I feel I'm floundering in all the info I've gathered. I'm not sure if I'm really on the right track at all, but..... since I don't plan on tackling this swap/build until nearly a year from now. I think I should be able to get everything straightened out by then!

Still, any suggestions from those more familiar with all this or links to interesting research material would be AWESOME!!!

ThanX!
~Eclipsed
Old Nov 20, 2006, 08:46 AM

manifold

Originally Posted by Eclipsed(EVO)
Yeah, I've heard the entire head is a direct bolt-on as well. This is exclusively from the EVOVIII and EVOIX, I've gathered... but I could be wrong.
Is this a 4g63 engine's head I'd be working with? If so, it's just the same as the 2g Eclipse GS-T or GSX... except transversely mounted, am I right?

Assuming all this to be correct, my next question would be how to get exhaust manifold piping to synch up properly. At first, I believe I'd like to keep my build in the NA form.
Later, I can begin to tackle the more complex turbo installation... likely using any 4g63t manifold and perhaps even the 2g turbo?

As anyone reading this can probably tell, I'm extremely new to all this. Sometimes I feel I'm floundering in all the info I've gathered. I'm not sure if I'm really on the right track at all, but..... since I don't plan on tackling this swap/build until nearly a year from now. I think I should be able to get everything straightened out by then!

Still, any suggestions from those more familiar with all this or links to interesting research material would be AWESOME!!!

ThanX!
~Eclipsed
the 2ng gen eclipse is a close match only evo comes with a better turbo and tranny should bolt in if you have a awd eclipse and bigger cams and better internal parts in the block or you can put in a 2.4 evo engine
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I believe all stoker Evo's use at least part of the 4g64's. It is a nearly identical motor to the 4g63, and a lot of the same parts are interchangable.

This being said, you have a ton of options; and you can pretty much duplicate any stoker Evo setup you see on here.

Though i'm not sure how correct this is, but i think the 4g63 crank in the 4g64 block makes a 2.1L destroked engine (these suckers usually rev past 10k); and i think the 4g64 crank in the 4g63 block is the 2.3L stoker that everyone runs. (Might be the other way around, but either way, you get the point.)

It sounds like cost wise, the 2.1L stoker is best for you, being you can use your current block; though you need to source a 4g63 crank, 2.1L pistons and rods, and what ever else (see SlowBoyRacing). This is a great setup though, as Curt Brown used this motor to run 10's in an Evo on the stock turbo (fastest stock turbo record holder to this day). Plus, who doesn't want to rev past 10k?

Anyway, i think you made a good choice compared to the V6 model, and i have to admit that i would do the same thing, because of the potential.

Good Luck!
Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Eclipsed(EVO)
tuffguy: Hi there! It looks like you're no stranger to Mitsu's offerings. Moving up through the ranks? ...and down in cylinders...
Though I've heard of neweclipse.org through a local guy (he still has the decal on his back fender.... ), I've never visited the site myself. I've only had my Eclipse for a little under a year at this point, so perhaps you're thinking of him? Anyway, thanx 4 da !!
D'oh... TampaBlueGS sounded familiar. Neweclipse.org is the original CLub3g. I think that there was a squabble over the forum moderation, so they broke up into two forums. It's been a while though, so I could be wrong.

Quick Reply: Eclipsed INTRO