BMW 335i Dynojet Results

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BiFfMaN
Long read......
Originally Posted by BiFfMaN

I had to stop after some quoted about the turbos being inside the block.....Now i have to go though years of therapy just to make the nightmares go away. thanks LOL

Yeah, that was definitely a "WTF" moment.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the xede working with the 335i. Still need to get control of a few more engine parameters. So far, all I did was massage the fuel, timing and boost mapping a bit. Still need to change afr targets (since the car runs closed loop at WOT) as well as drive the boost control solenoids directly. But so far, so goodl.

Results:

The gains were greatest at higher engine speeds. At 7000rpm, we picked up nearly 70whp with richer-than-stock A/F ratio. Peak WHP increased from 278 to 310whp at 6000rpm. Torque from 288lb-ft to 311lb-ft. I stayed nice and conservative at low to mid engine speeds (where, quite frankly, we should see the biggest gains when all is said and done). This was because I don't yet have control of the AFR targets in this region. The stock fuel mapping is too lean to run either the extra boost the turbos most certainly are capable of supporting, or optimal spark advance. Once we get control of the fuel in this region, we can start to turn up the wick and really get the sick midrange torque than the hardware is capable of supporting. For now, all we really wanted to do is make the car charge to redline instead of fall flat above 6000rpm. We did a little more than that but that was just an unexpected bonus. More to come in the next few weeks. Until then, it's back to testing.

Stock vs. First Attempt at tuning (whp and torque)
Bone Stock: Runs 2 and 3
"Tooned": Runs 15 and 16
91oct CA gas

Cheers,
shiv
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see that the car does not fall on its face above 6K rpm like it was stock. That is what I pointed out in the first dyno you posted. The most interesting thing is that the car got more power from a richer AFR. What did you do with the timing when you richened the top area? I suspect that you advanced the timing, right?

What is causing this bump in the powerband @ 4300 rpm?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

oo that... that's that V-tAC

lol .... but no serious... is that where VANOS kicks in?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Just got the xede working with the 335i.
Which Xede is that? An EVO Xede, Subaru Xede? or a different hardware version of the Xede?

What I'm asking is, can I upgrade the firmware on an EVO xede and use it on the 335 (with a different wiring harness of course).

Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

the engine is an open-deck design??
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Impressive...You had the car what 5 days? and already you guys have the Xede operational and are 30 whp over stock..Great work Vishnu
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sweet. I'm planning on getting one of these once the Mini is payed for next year. I hope you have a nice package for it by then. Looks like you've got a good start.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

not bad on stock exhaust. i wonder how restrictive the pipes are?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Impressive...You had the car what 5 days? and already you guys have the Xede operational and are 30 whp over stock..Great work Vishnu
I agree.

But I was looking hard at one of these as well. Which Xede is it? EVO or STI? It would be nicveto be able to take my Xede and move it from the EVO to my future 335i
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

damn and thats at the wheel with a 18% rwd bmw drivetrainloss that comes out to....364hp and 367lb-ft at the crank...y would bmw under rat ethis car so much...insurance??? i mean stock, with drivetrain loss the car is pushing almost 340hp at the crank...bmw i gatta admit i like your marketing.....
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I have a pretty good idea why they underrated it.... Can't have the 335 making ~320hp when the almightly E46 M3 only makes 333. I kinda figurered there was pretty easy power to be had on the top end considering how rich the stock tune ran up there; really interesting though that you made more power while going richer. What the heck did you do to the timing?!

How big is the stock exhaust on that thing? I would guess those turbos are near maxxed out too... pretty freakin small! Spool up damn fast too, especially with no VNT technology of any sort. Anyone figure out what is considered a 'safe' A/F with direct injection?

Last edited by spdracerut; Sep 16, 2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

damn i forgot about the 335i having direct injection but i would imagine it could be slightly leaner just beacuse it is mixed in the piston not before that and therefore alloing much more percision....goin to the dealer today with the my parents to look at one...if they settle on stick sorry guys no evo if they want a auto they can buy themselves a 325i cuz no money is going torward a auto....sick and tired of these damn autos....but i bet illl be the same way when im in my 50's...or mabe not
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dayf
The smg is a lot quicker than the DSG trans found in vw/audis. The a3 is not going to take an evo 8 at anything though. The fastest one (3.2l quattro) weighs 3700lb, makes 250bhp and has no launch control.
Not to go off topic but you need to reread whatever article you found that says the SMG is quicker than the DSG.

Back on topic, nice dyno!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Anyone figure out what is considered a 'safe' A/F with direct injection?
Il be honest that I dont know much about direct injection, But I can't for the life of me think of why a direct injection motor could run leaner then a fuel rail on the intake manifold engine, Expecially when the air fuel mixture is measured in the exhaust stream. Direct injection doesnt make it any more resistant to knock. But I dunno maybe im messed up.

Quick Reply: BMW 335i Dynojet Results