Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs

As our first sets of Racecomp Engineering STi Street/Track springs are getting to our customers, after a lot of testing of different rates, drops, progressive/linear winds, giving many test drives to customers on the track and the street, etc, we've started to hear from a lot of our local EVO guys who wanted something similar for their own cars.

So with that in mind, we wanted to go ahead ask the EVO community what YOU wanted in a spring. We wanted to keep the same "philosophy" that we have behind our RCE STi springs, but bring that to the EVO crowd.

We realize that the EVO is a different beast then the STi, and definitely will be starting with a clean slate. Lessons learned will be carried over of course, but we actually want the community to be more involved this time. We have ideas of what we want, but we need input from you.

There are couple springs out there that work well, but we still feel like there is a lot of room for improvement.

We are very excited because we are NOT copying other rates, and yet we're using our experience to help develop something that will work well and bridge the gap between stock, cheap coilovers, and the ones that offer an advantage.

Stay tuned!!

Oh, and your feedback please.

- Andrew

EDIT: 8/22 - These are done and awesome.....available now. Call 410-579-1501.

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Aug 28, 2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

bump for your thoughts
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think this is what some of the more advanced and sophisticated drivers who daily drive their EVOs, would look for:
1. maintain the stock like handling characteristic and balance at the limit.
2. does not lower the car more than an inch.
3. is comfortable to drive in on regular roads.
4. does not require changing the front or rear sway bars.
5. Probably linear and thus more predictable.
6. Is matched well to the range of damping with the shock/dampers being used.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the feedback.

Some things we are looking at:

For swaybars, we think we will make adding swaybars an option, but certainly not necessary for the springs to work well. Adding the sways will not be detrimental either, just an option.

Linear is something we would like, as it's much nicer for the track. However, a lot of people say they want a fully linear spring.....but then they complain about harshness. So "linear-ish" is one thing we are looking at. Too progressive is probably not gonna be what our core customers are interested in.

As for ride height, most of our customers are only interested in functional lowering. Swifts are a nice height, but we could go higher still. IMO the Swift height looks great, so form follows function there.

Comfort....yes we want these to be the best of all worlds. Handle like an Elise, look awesome, and be as comfy as a Caddilac. I think a reasonable amount of comfort (better then stock) will not be too hard to achieve as long as we stay within the usable ride height and range of damping of the stock struts/shocks.

Another thing we are thinking about is the Ohlins Fixed Perch struts. We want these to be a very capable packaged together.

Keep the thoughts coming!

- Andrew
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Bump for more thoughts....we are making progress but still want to see what kind of things YOU want in a performance spring.

Here are a couple reviews of our just released STi springs....we want our EVO springs to follow the same idea. The EVO's strut is a little nicer though, so you guys have a head start .

- Andrew

Originally Posted by BoostJunkie
I finally had the opportunity to drive Myles' car today and I can say that the springs absolutely exceeded my expectations. We hadn't made it 100 feet before I was impressed with the ride quality. Bumpy roads, expansion joints, these springs will gladly take anything you can throw at them. I was also pleasantly surprised in terms of performance. Going around a few on and offramps at slightly over the posted speed limit () it almost felt like the car was on coilovers. Very little body roll and predictable handling, even with Myles' puny swaybars If I didn't have coilovers I would have a set going on my car ASAP. If you are looking for springs, it doesn't get any better than this.
Originally Posted by LightWerkz
Alright I just got back from installing these springs.

I used to have the Tanabe Gf210's, 05 specific and I was seriously getting sick of them because of the harshness. I felt like the car was going to fall apart when I hit a pot hole. I always had that bobble head feeling when going on the highway, felt like I never stopped bouncing. Ride wasnt very planted either, and also had terrible strut clunk.

Anyways my first thing I noticed when the car was put down from the lift was the rear sat MUCH lower. I have no gap anymore, it looks good. I get in and IMMEDIATLY notice the difference. I go over a bump and its not harsh, its actually feels good. I lubed the hell out of the struts and all my klunking vanished. (couldnt be happier about this :tup: anyways back to the review. When I was on the highway, there was no bounce, no bobblehead, awesome feeling. Car felt great and it still hasnt had its alignment.

All I can say is I am SO happy these lived up to my expectations. Its been a great day, I will be sure to post pics of the drop. Oh yeah the rear sits lower then my tanabe gf210's, no wheel gap at all, and the front looks a tiny bit lower as well.

I give this product 10/10, thanks RCE.
Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
2 weeks and 700 miles and I still love them...PA roads and all. I just came back from Phila. yesterday on the turnpike and yes the ride could be stiff above 80 but the turn in and stability was awesome!!
Originally Posted by 4banger
I finally was able to install my springs today. Just like everyone else has been saying - these springs are awesome. I have to make a real effert not to cringe when I see a bump coming up in the road because these springs smoothing bumps out so well. They are so much more comfortable for daily driving. Nose dive during braking is greatly reduced, which makes the car much more stable during breaking. The rear feels so much more planted and stable. I can't comment on aggressive driving yet, but the difference they make for daily driving is amazing.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would agree w above member, for a daily evo driver we need something comfortable, not 2 bouncy nor harsh. Also in some cases springs have 2 much body roll, no name needed =). I would love 1.0 drop front and rear, some say its .79 drop but it actually lowers it 1.3. I want numbers to be the same when i put them on not lower. So where can i put my deposit, i'll be first or so customer w an evo and will write a honest review =)....
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Evo Girlie
I would agree w above member, for a daily evo driver we need something comfortable, not 2 bouncy nor harsh. Also in some cases springs have 2 much body roll, no name needed =). I would love 1.0 drop front and rear, some say its .79 drop but it actually lowers it 1.3. I want numbers to be the same when i put them on not lower. So where can i put my deposit, i'll be first or so customer w an evo and will write a honest review =)....
A reliable, consistent spring would be used made by a well known manufacturer.....ride heights would be as advertised.

The stock suspension is a bit overdamped, so you would find that matching a stiffer spring will result in better handling and ride. That the direction we are heading in .

- andrew
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

bump for your thoughts!

- andrew
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Andrew you might want to clarify that the springs are for the stock EVO struts (non-MR), are you guys developing one for the MR bilsteins as well? Or is my assumption wrong?
Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Good point....

We're going to start with regular EVO struts, with an MR specific version to follow very soon after.

It seems most companies offer 1 spring for both kinds of struts (except for Swift). The dampers are close enough in their range that it can work. So....we will test the non-MR spring on the Bilsteins and make a decision then. If it doesn't work out the way we want it to, then we will make an MR specific version. No compromises . If it works, great. If not, we'll make another one.

Right now, i'm predicting that we will make an MR specific spring, and i am planning accordingly.

- Andrew
Old Oct 14, 2006, 11:26 PM

Sounds great that you guys are going to make something for the EVO, i'm about to help a friend install his set in his STI that he just received from you guys, can't wait to get a ride in it.

For the EVO I'd say I want something
1) with minimal lowering 0.5in or less
2)works with stock shock but can be on the stiff end for those looking toward upgrading shocks as well
3) linear rate in the rear at least
4) ride quality should be second to trackability, the evo has pretty good ride quality now, so losing some of that for better turn in and control is a reasonable sacrifice IMO
Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kw273
Sounds great that you guys are going to make something for the EVO, i'm about to help a friend install his set in his STI that he just received from you guys, can't wait to get a ride in it.

For the EVO I'd say I want something
1) with minimal lowering 0.5in or less
2)works with stock shock but can be on the stiff end for those looking toward upgrading shocks as well
3) linear rate in the rear at least
4) ride quality should be second to trackability, the evo has pretty good ride quality now, so losing some of that for better turn in and control is a reasonable sacrifice IMO
Good to hear....we are very happy with the reviews our STi springs are getting. They turned out fantastic, which was a huge motivator in getting EVO springs out there.

We're looking for a similar "feel" for the EVO springs. Naturally, the EVO already has razor sharp turn in, and comes with better dampers, so we have even higher expecatations for what we can make happen.

Very interesting that more and more people are looking for less then .75-.5 inches of lowering.....says a lot about the demographics we're aiming at with these springs.

- Andrew
Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GTWORX.com

Very interesting that more and more people are looking for less then .75-.5 inches of lowering.....says a lot about the demographics we're aiming at with these springs.

- Andrew
Hey Andrew. Sounds like less drop is definitely a niche that needs to get filled. However, I'm sure you guys are scratching your heads wondering about how much market potential there is compared to a spring with the typical 1"+ drop.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrfred
Hey Andrew. Sounds like less drop is definitely a niche that needs to get filled. However, I'm sure you guys are scratching your heads wondering about how much market potential there is compared to a spring with the typical 1"+ drop.
Tell me about it....

Good news is that with a spring with a less drop, making it perform better will be a bit easier then with a lower spring.

We'll keep everyone posted.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:37 PM

You guys need to make a spring for the EVO! I rode and drove my friend's STI after the spring change and it is wonderful, no more jarring over bumps/expansion joints, the drop is great, and it handles beautifully. The suspension seems to all work together much better. We'll see how it does at willow springs raceway next weekend, but as he put it, this is how the car should be from the factory, no minuses from the new spring, only pluses

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest: RaceComp Street/Track Springs