Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.4 block and Evo head?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2006, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew
..and post some numbers joey!
I had posted some numbers like 2 weeks ago

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=213081

I made about 340hp and 340trq at around 19-20psi (Dyno was reading boost way to high). We had some problems with the knock sensor detecting knock that wasn't there. My car has solid mounts, balance shafts removed, and a noisey Tilton twin plate clutch. All that causes the knock sensor to freak out. Some runs it would detect 35 counts (which is max I think) at just 3k rpm. To make more power I need to play with the knock filters. Before I do that I need an electronic stethoscope so I can listen to the engine while I tune it.

If anyone knows where I can get a good electronic stethoscope so I can tune this please let me know
Old Aug 4, 2006, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, this newer 2.0/2.4 block should bolt upto say a rwd (2wd) tranny from maybe a Montero Sport?
The following users liked this post:
pledgekincaid (Jun 22, 2020)
Old Aug 4, 2006, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, does the Evo 8-+ and newer 2.4 blocks have the same bellhousing pattern as the DSM's?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by joeymia
I did reuse the evo oil pump. I was using a 4g64 water pump but the damn thing which I bought brand new from Advanced Auto parts was defective. I went ahead and just reused my evo water pump with a adapter plate which i made. The timing belt I got real lucky on... I ordered the wrong timing belt from JAM. I ment to order an Evo8 one and I got a 2g dohc one. This was before I knew I needed to get a different timing belt
Are you saying that the timing belt from the 420A non turbo used in the N/A 2G DSM's is longer than the 4g63t timing belt?

Most people doing this in the DSM world use the timing belt from a 1994 Galant GS.... the only 4g64 DOHC produced by Mitsubishi, along with the cam gears from the 1994 Galant GS.

The cam gears wouldn't do us any good, but the belt would be the correct length.

Also, for the DSM's the 4g64 block has some extra water passages that are not in the 4g63 head that need to be blocked off.... is it the same story with the 2000 and up Eclipse 4g64 block compared to the EVO head?

Keith

Last edited by Fourdoor; Aug 4, 2006 at 05:28 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if the 4G64 cranks are forged like the Evo's?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Are you saying that the timing belt from the 420A non turbo used in the N/A 2G DSM's is longer than the 4g63t timing belt?

Most people doing this in the DSM world use the timing belt from a 1994 Galant GS.... the only 4g64 DOHC produced by Mitsubishi, along with the cam gears from the 1994 Galant GS.

The cam gears wouldn't do us any good, but the belt would be the correct length.

Also, for the DSM's the 4g64 block has some extra water passages that are not in the 4g63 head that need to be blocked off.... is it the same story with the 2000 and up Eclipse 4g64 block compared to the EVO head?

Keith
Honestly I have no idea how I ended up with the right belt... I ordered a timing belt from JAM for what I thought was an Evo8 and ended up with the belt I have now. I forgot to mention the 3 water passages, those of course were blocked off.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by joeymia
Honestly I have no idea how I ended up with the right belt... I ordered a timing belt from JAM for what I thought was an Evo8 and ended up with the belt I have now. I forgot to mention the 3 water passages, those of course were blocked off.
You will need a belt from a 94 galant...2G DSM belt won't work. I think you also need cam gears from the galant as well, but I am not 100% certain.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
You will need a belt from a 94 galant...2G DSM belt won't work. I think you also need cam gears from the galant as well, but I am not 100% certain.
Edit: Brain fart. Nvm.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the brief information I've gotten from this thread, if I understand correctly, all that is needed to use the actual 4g64 (2000+ Eclipse) block is to block those coolant passages and to custom a bracket for the water pump? If so, that should be simple enough like the 7 bolt DSM 2.4s.

Last edited by TurboSpoolinIns; Aug 5, 2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

The 2g Spyder belt wont work because that motor is still SOHC. As someone said earlier, the 94 Galant GS was the only DOHC 4G64 ever made, so that belt is the correct length. Here is some food for thought. The guys with the 00-05's eclipse's with EVO heads are using stock EVO timing belts on their cars, and it works. One of them, RRE built the motor, so they wouldnt make a silly mistake like that, so I guess the stock belt is fine. What you do need is adjustable cam gears. Since the 4G64 block is taller, it makes the timing marks on the cams out of alignment. I am not sure if the 94 Galant GS cam gears will bolt to EVO cams, if they do, those could work. I am in process of doing a 2.4 build right now, I had a JDM EVO7 motor in my 99 galant. You can use any 4G64 block from a galant from 99-03 and eclipse from 00-05. I still dont know why you need a water pump bracket. I know the actual dimensions and bolt pattern of the galant/eclipse pump and EVO pump are different, maybe this bracket allows you to use your EVO pump instead of needing a galant/eclipse one. The galant/eclipse also uses 2 accessory belts instead of a single serpentine belt. 1 belt goes around the crank, idler, p/s pump and a/c compressor, the other goes around the crank, alternator and water pump. That could also be a reason for this bracket. The stock 4G64 crank is forged like the EVO. Aside from what many people believe about the stock EVO crank being nitride coated, it is NOT nitride coated from the factory. Everyone likes to jump on the "cant grind down the crank because then you cut away the nitride coating and the crank isnt strong" bandwagon. I actually sent my EVO crank to the machinist to get polished and he calls me and says " Are you sure you wanna use this crank?" I aksed him why, and he said the crank isnt nitrided. This was a stock, never cut, evo crank. So I actually bought a 2g DSM crank and used that since it was nitrided. The 4G64 cranks are also not nitrided. The only ones that are, are the ones that Eagle sells. I totally thought the thing about the stock EVO crank not being nitrided was BS and my machinist might have been drunk or high when he called me, but I actually called FFWD connection and RRE and I was told the same, and they are both reputable DSM builders. I should have my motor completely done within the next 2-3 weeks and the car should be in the streets again by end of september.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

and I also just confirmed that you dont need to block off any of the holes. Everything lines up with the coolant and oil passages. Checked visually with the 63' h/gasket on the 64' block. and I confirmed that some of the turbo 4G64 SOHC guys are running EVO cometic head gaskets. On a 6 bolt or 2g 7 bolt DSM you need to block off holes, not for the newer ones with the EVO head.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 07:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by VTEC Killer
Here is some food for thought. The guys with the 00-05's eclipse's with EVO heads are using stock EVO timing belts on their cars, and it works. What you do need is adjustable cam gears. Since the 4G64 block is taller, it makes the timing marks on the cams out of alignment(edit-time).

for the 4g64 block to evo head, you can use the factory evo timing belt, but its really tight. then degree the cams to the crank with the adjustable gears (appx.-4*/-4*).

the water pump is the biggest issue imo.
most companies provide an "adapter plate" (errr plasma cut sheetmetal) that doesnt work very well. basically the block water passage on the 4g64 is larger than the evo h2o pump housing. so, i fastened the pump housing down on my welding bench and welded more aluminum in this area of the pump housing to create a larger "flange" and cover the exposed water passage. then using a silicone injected paper gasket material, made a custom gasket.
works like a charm.

i can tell you from experience that the "adapters" don't work very well. i can change the water pump on our car in about 45 min now lol

Ken

edit: as far as the 00-03 eclipse, i think the issue is the actual block casting(engine mount, ac mount, ps mounts) being different, not sure though.
i do know that the Lancer rally art model 2.4L mivec sohc block works perfect.

Last edited by PeakBoost; Aug 6, 2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PeakBoost
for the 4g64 block to evo head, you can use the factory evo timing belt, but its really tight. then degree the cams to the crank with the adjustable gears (appx.-4*/-4*).

the water pump is the biggest issue imo.
most companies provide an "adapter plate" (errr plasma cut sheetmetal) that doesnt work very well. basically the block water passage on the 4g64 is larger than the evo h2o pump housing. so, i fastened the pump housing down on my welding bench and welded more aluminum in this area of the pump housing to create a larger "flange" and cover the exposed water passage. then using a silicone injected paper gasket material, made a custom gasket.
works like a charm.

i can tell you from experience that the "adapters" don't work very well. i can change the water pump on our car in about 45 min now lol

Ken

edit: as far as the 00-03 eclipse, i think the issue is the actual block casting(engine mount, ac mount, ps mounts) being different, not sure though.
i do know that the Lancer rally art model 2.4L mivec sohc block works perfect.
Instead of going thru all the trouble of fabricating the water pump, did you try to just use the stock 4G64 water pump with an EVO pulley on it? I know that seems the first thing you would try, but some overlook it. I originally had a JDM EVO7 motor in my 99 Galant. When I swapped over all my accessories, all I did for my alternator was put an EVO pulley on it, I used an EVO crank pulley and the power steering was tricky, because I only had the EVO bracket and the galant pump, so I just ended up having a custom offset pulley made from scratch. My block will be back from the machinist in a week, when I get it, im going to try a few different combo's of the different pumps and pulleys and see what lines up and what doesnt then I will post results so those interested in the swap know what their getting into.

as far as the issue with the 00-03 eclipse, the different with the mount is this. The piece of the mount that bolts to the motor has those three studs coming off it, on the eclipse, the middle stud is opposite of how it is on the EVO, the other 2 are the same. There is no true harm in just taking the middle stud out and not using it, as long as you torque the other 2 down to spec, it wont be in issue. I had to do that when I put the EVO motor in my car and I never had any problems with it.

anyone who has any info about this particular topic, please post up, it seems we are getting alot of good info here that will be helpful to others in the future. this may be a future "sticky"
Old Aug 7, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

2.4 liter Galants 02 and up iron 2.4 bolts up to the evo head. Modifications to the block will require some oil squirters like our stock block has. Also custom pistons and rod are in order.Water pump you will need some fab skills.
You have a 2.4 iron block monster.
Old Aug 7, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Regular length rods in a 4g64 has what, a 7500rpm limit or so? I guess if you wanted to rev to say 8k, would you need to build a long rod 2.4 or would reg rods be ok?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

I posted pics of my motor with the head gasket from the 4g63 on the 2.4L block. Just search for 2.1L pics.....or look under my name for topics I started. Also, the adaptor plate for the water pump. I can take a pic later on today as I have it sitting around. From what SBR has told me I needed the longer timing belt and the adjustable cam gears to make everything work as far as head/block combo go. Timing belt PN they sent me is md182292 anyone know which one it is (model year?)

Quick Reply: 2.4 block and Evo head?