Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 spark plugs do not fit a 9

Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Evo 8 spark plugs do not fit a 9

So apparently the BPR7ES plugs from NGK won't work, and if it's the standard size plug for an 8, then it will not properly fit a 9 because of the MIVEC head..

They're too short and the threaded end, and tool long at the ceramic end. The coil packs sit 1/4" too high and can't be bolted down.

Plugs that are known to fit our beloved IX's:

NGK ILFR7H (OEM) Iridium
http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=20451

NGK LFR7AIX Iridium
http://www.sparkplugs.com/more_info.asp?AAIA=&pid=16602

What a pisser. Here's a pic highlighting the seating point as this controls how deep it goes. Boo hiss.

Last edited by Wheelhaus; Jul 29, 2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Interesting and subscribing.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This topic has been covered several times on the boards...Only HKS has sparkplugs out for the 9.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIII_MR2005
This topic has been covered several times on the boards...Only HKS has sparkplugs out for the 9.
+1
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoVIII_MR2005
A link for the EVO IX guys to that thread, or a link directly to the HKS plugs would be appreciated. We are trying to be a friendly community here and help each other right?

Keith
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:34 AM
Evolved Member

yup the IX plugs are 7mm longer than the VIII's due to the taller head. they needed space for MIVEC & to eliminate "lifter tick"...
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:35 AM

subaru sti plugs in ONE heat range colder work well in the 9, they run better then my stock plugs did and are taking the higher boost just fine, they retail for $8 each
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
A link for the EVO IX guys to that thread, or a link directly to the HKS plugs would be appreciated. We are trying to be a friendly community here and help each other right?

Keith
Yes. I had searched for days and found nothing more conclusive than "HKS is the only company that makes plugs for the 9 and they're over $100 for the set". First, I don't like HKS, Second, I'm not spending $100, and Third HKS is NOT the only company to make plugs for the IX, as the plugs I pulled out were NGK.

So this is as difinitive as I could prove it, because yes, it's been discussed many times before, but nothing was really 100% believable proof (from what I found) because there's so much muck and garbage to sift through on this board.

edit-
BTW HKS's site says nothing about plugs for the IX. If theire generic applications do match, I'm still not paying $21 per piece.

Last edited by Wheelhaus; Jul 29, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

You might be able to go to a Auto parts store and have them cross refrence what plugs work on the IX.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

^ Yes. If anyone does this before me please post brands and model numbers and I will edit them into the original post.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wheelhaus
^ Yes. If anyone does this before me please post brands and model numbers and I will edit them into the original post.
i guess you missed my post , ngk lfr7aix , retail for $8 each and handle the high boost better then the stock ones
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cbrtrx
i guess you missed my post , ngk lfr7aix , retail for $8 each and handle the high boost better then the stock ones
no I didn't miss it, you only said Subaru STi plugs will work, and that could vary per year and per EDM JDM and USDM models through the years... Thanks for clarifying though, it's been added.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by housedj
yup the IX plugs are 7mm longer than the VIII's due to the taller head. they needed space for MIVEC & to eliminate "lifter tick"...
Where is the documented source you heard this from? I.E. - Mitsubishi Engineering Documents. Because until you do, this is completely conjecture, and very poor at that.

The only benefit I see of a taller surface between the top of the combustion chamber and the base of the spark plug valley is more room for cooling passages, which makes much more sense than an effort to eliminate "lifter tick".
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch
Where is the documented source you heard this from? I.E. - Mitsubishi Engineering Documents. Because until you do, this is completely conjecture, and very poor at that.

The only benefit I see of a taller surface between the top of the combustion chamber and the base of the spark plug valley is more room for cooling passages, which makes much more sense than an effort to eliminate "lifter tick".
It makes sense. on Sparkplugs.com it notes the BPR7ES (well known plug to work with the 8) has a 3/4" reach. That translates to 19.05mm depth. The ILFR7H (OEM plug on the IX) has a reach of 26.5mm depth. that's 7.45mm increase. Magazine articles even mention that the spark plugs are different. It's most likely due to the MIVEC head, it makes perfect sense. But I KNOW first hand that a plug that is known to fit the VIII perfectly.. will not fit properly in the IX.

edit- nevermind, you were responding to why they're taller, not if they actually are.

Last edited by Wheelhaus; Jul 29, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SuperHatch

Last night, at like 3AM I typed this exact responds, but deside not to make DJ look bad for the 12,836 time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evo 8 spark plugs do not fit a 9