Notices
Member Unresolved Disputes Discuss incomplete sales including undelivered parts or payment for member to member sales.

Scam Alert

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2006, 04:17 PM
spt
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Scam Alert

I got this pm from a fellow EvoM member and I wanted to pass the info along:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Saw the thread on the scammer vtlaxplaya16 and something recently has happened on NASIOC that has the board in an uproar. It's only a matter of time until someone like this guy comes to EvoM to stir **** up. (And the scammer lists an EVO in his profile.... so thi sis a heads up)

I'm sending this to you that you may update the 'Post here before you buy anything' thread and keep an eye on what's going on. We're all part of the same community even tho we drive different cars and hate scammers.

This is a very involved scam that's happening and you may want to take action.

Scammer purchased, offered to buy or or wants "W". In order to pay for "W", he 'advertises' X, Y, & Z for sale that matches what W cost. He then arranges with the seller of W to accept payment from his 'friends' because he doesn't have a PayPal account. He then tells X, Y, & Z buyers (aka 'friends') to pay the paypal address where W came from.

W owner gets paid. Ships the product or performs the service... scammer walks. One month later, X, Y, & Z buyers are asking where X, Y, & Z is that they are owed. With no contact, they contact PayPal and dispute. W is out the cash after dispute is upheld.

VERY interesting and elaborate scam. Something to be on the watch for.

The crux of the scam is accepting payment from people other than the buyer him/her self.

Or, in the very least, if you do receive payment from people other than the intended buyer, contact the e-mail address/call to verify the payment is for what they wanted. One extra level of customer service, but something I will definitely be implementing as this scam goes father than just what eddie came up with... it goes for almost anything if you do quite a bit of business with PayPal.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you are mistaken by the comment about vxplaya.
When I read it the emailer is not saying it's him, just letting us know about the new scam since he saw we openly report/discuss scammers he wants to warn us of this new scammer.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, sorry, I just reacted too fast, I'll edit the posts to keep on topic...
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

sorry are x,y,and z items or buyers? or is w an item?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

The scam boils down to this -

If you are a seller using PayPal to collect payment, never ship to an address other than the confirmed address associated with the PayPal account.

The seller of "W"'s first hint of a problem should have been when vtlaxplaya16 told them to ship to an address other than the one of the buyer. Everything else is details (interesting scam, though).
Old Jul 26, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

ahh sorry abt that. that makes much more sense now.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ez76
If you are a seller using PayPal to collect payment, never ship to an address other than the confirmed address associated with the PayPal account.
I just want to stress and bump the above point. If they don't want it shipped to the paypal address, return the money and look for another buyer.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 07:27 AM
Account Disabled

Shouldn't we make a Scammer Alert/list a sticky at the top of the For Sale Threads so that people can take a Look-See before they buy anything?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

^ Sounds like a good idea...

Wow, that is a very elaborate scheme. Interesting. This sort of happened to me. I opened a dispute on paypal and it took a couple of days to resolve. The problem is it wasn't resolved, because the supposed "seller" didnt' have the funds in his paypal account. Now I gotta wait for paypal to launch a full investigating and track down the " Scammer" so I can get my money back. I'm not gonna stress it, and I leave it that eventually I will get my money back.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Still sucks to lose money though, Im in if you guys need anything
Old Jul 27, 2006, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

why did i think this was about me?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wallesasuaz
^ Sounds like a good idea...

Wow, that is a very elaborate scheme. Interesting. This sort of happened to me. I opened a dispute on paypal and it took a couple of days to resolve. The problem is it wasn't resolved, because the supposed "seller" didnt' have the funds in his paypal account. Now I gotta wait for paypal to launch a full investigating and track down the " Scammer" so I can get my money back. I'm not gonna stress it, and I leave it that eventually I will get my money back.
Unfortunately, I would assume you're not going to get your money back, at least from PayPal's efforts.

In theory, PayPal attempts to recover your money for up to 120 days after the dispute is "resolved", but in my experience, if the funds aren't actually in the seller's account at the time PayPal finds in your favor, you're not going to get your cash back, at least from PayPal. They will, however, give you the seller's registered name and address if you ask, should you want to try to pursue the matter on your own e.g. in court.
Old Jul 28, 2006, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that def. is an interesting scam.
A good one too, Im not gonna lie.
Thats why you should only buy from members we all know of,
who've posted regularly.

Good Lookin' out tho, whoever brought this to the communities attention
Old Jul 29, 2006, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

yeah I wouldnt mind having an X but maybe Y is better oh hell I take a W and then sell it to joe for twice the price and turn around and buy an X and a Y, errr or was it Z I wanted.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this is the scammer. not sure.....

http://www.tristatetuners.com/forum/...ad.php?t=17776

Quick Reply: Scam Alert