Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Best Intake!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 05:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Intake!!

Hey guys, what would be the best intake system to get for the evo IX? I have heard many good marks about the injen intake. I am also researching Buschur intake parts such as the uicp and the licp(their pipes look soo much beefier than injen=more power). Concerning the buschur, do i have to buy the uicp, licp, filter, and anything eles i need for an intake separately? Or do they have a kit that includes uicp, licp, etc. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

hey man welcome but get ready to get flamed...the stock airbox is fine until about 400whp (I think could be wrong but it's high) so no need to replace it first...If you do get one make sure you get a tune for it or else the car will run like shiat. and where did you hear good things about the injen...from what I hear that's crap just like the K&N...BR is good though
Old Jul 21, 2006, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont waste $ on pipes unless its the lower, buy yourselve a boost controller w/ a gauge and a mail in flash. That would be about equivalent to the $ you are spending on pipes.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Honestly the best intake is a stock intake and airbox, and a good aftermarket Air filter.. I doubt you'll need anything more until you do a bigger turbo..

Intercooler pipes, Intercooler, Tuning, Boost controller are good mods.. an Intake just isn't worth the money since its gains aren't "Real" They change the airflow characteristics in the MAF and cause it to run leaner, which results in the car feeling quicker for a short time.. ultimately the car ends up running a little worse without a retune.

First steps for a new Evo owner..

1) Break in car, drive it for at least 20k miles before you modify it.. Trust me, its worthwhile to do that.. if possible, keep the car stock for the duration of your warranty, or at least long enough that if anything breaks in the first year or two, you won't be paying out of your pocket for it.

2) Read as much as you can about the products your interested in (From actual product users) before jumping all over it (just like your post is doing now ) It will educate you and also waste less money on bad or useless mods.

3) Learn to drive.. Don't take this the wrong way, but I mean really learn to drive a high performance car, get some track time with it stock, take a driving class for performance driving, etc.. Its fun, cheap, and will save your car's drivetrain and clutch..

4) Don't buy EBAY parts.. Most are not what they seem.. If you must get an e-bay auction for parts (Used parts) then be certain its someone you can verify the parts authenticity. EBAY INTERCOOLERS DON'T WORK.. don't waste your money.. That wasted $100 is your gas money for 2 weeks...

The best first mod is probably going to be subjective.. But do your research.. at the least put some gages in the car, boost gage, EGT gage, wideband o2 gage.. In the future those tools will make your life so much better.. Their expensive, but worth it in the long run. Then get a boost controller, exhaust, retune, all the typical first basic boltons..

Parts you DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE SINCE THEY OFFER LITTLE OR NO PERFORMANCE GAINS..

1) Don't upgrade your DV (Aka BOV) If you want the sound, watch a movie.. If you want performance, leave it alone unless you have a specific need to change it.

2) Don't bother with aftermarket intakes at this point in time..

3) Don't upgrade your clutch for the sake of upgrading it because everyone tells you it won't hold up.. If you don't abuse the car, it will hold up fine.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jul 21, 2006 at 07:05 AM.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

i run K&N panel filters (stock airbox) in both EVO's, but i am looking into the new Blitz Induction Cover...
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by MalibuJack

1) Break in car, drive it for at least 20k miles before you modify it.. Trust me, its worthwhile to do that.. if possible, keep the car stock for the duration of your warranty, or at least long enough that if anything breaks in the first year or two, you won't be paying out of your pocket for it.
That isnt a bad plan, unless you can afford to break it. Also not everything you do is going to just void your warranty. Still not a bad idea in order to get used to the car at its already high stock performance levels.
Old Jul 21, 2006, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks malibujack, ill take your post into consideration.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly the best intake is a stock intake and airbox, and a good aftermarket Air filter.. I doubt you'll need anything more until you do a bigger turbo..

Intercooler pipes, Intercooler, Tuning, Boost controller are good mods.. an Intake just isn't worth the money since its gains aren't "Real" They change the airflow characteristics in the MAF and cause it to run leaner, which results in the car feeling quicker for a short time.. ultimately the car ends up running a little worse without a retune.

2) Read as much as you can about the products your interested in (From actual product users) before jumping all over it (just like your post is doing now ) It will educate you and also waste less money on bad or useless mods.

3) Learn to drive.. Don't take this the wrong way, but I mean really learn to drive a high performance car, get some track time with it stock, take a driving class for performance driving, etc.. Its fun, cheap, and will save your car's drivetrain and clutch..

4) Don't buy EBAY parts.. Most are not what they seem.. If you must get an e-bay auction for parts (Used parts) then be certain its someone you can verify the parts authenticity. EBAY INTERCOOLERS DON'T WORK.. don't waste your money.. That wasted $100 is your gas money for 2 weeks...

The best first mod is probably going to be subjective.. But do your research.. at the least put some gages in the car, boost gage, EGT gage, wideband o2 gage.. In the future those tools will make your life so much better.. Their expensive, but worth it in the long run. Then get a boost controller, exhaust, retune, all the typical first basic boltons..

Parts you DO NOT WANT TO UPGRADE SINCE THEY OFFER LITTLE OR NO PERFORMANCE GAINS..

1) Don't upgrade your DV (Aka BOV) If you want the sound, watch a movie.. If you want performance, leave it alone unless you have a specific need to change it.

2) Don't bother with aftermarket intakes at this point in time..

3) Don't upgrade your clutch for the sake of upgrading it because everyone tells you it won't hold up.. If you don't abuse the car, it will hold up fine.

+10000000000000