Notices

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES/DE/GTS and Ralliart [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES/DE/GTS and Ralliart [MERGED]

Courtesy of autoblog.com

We know how long a lot of you have been waiting for any tidbit of info on the next Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. News has been slow to come by, but yesterday Dubspeed Driven scored some outstanding spy shots of what might be the EVO X. One can see a clear inspiration from the Concept-X show car that Mitsubishi rolled out at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show in the shape of the headlights and vertically flat front end.

The next Lancer Evolution will come to market as a 2008 model and be based on the same GS platform used by the Dodge Caliber. It certainly appears to be a much beefier sedan than the tiny Lancer it's replacing, although rumors suggest that it will be lighter than the current Lancer Evolution and have more than 300 horsepower under the hood.

As incredible as this car promises to be, how many think it will save Mitsubishi's slumping sales in the U.S.? One could make the argument that the EVO X is the perfect halo car, as its lineage with the Lancer will be very visible and could do wonders for increasing that car's street cred. For those that don't want EVO amounts of power, there should also be the Ralliart and OZ Rally Edition models. In fact, Dubspeed Driven's editor notes that these shots may actually be of the Ralliart model, but we'd like to keep believing they're not.
My Take: For the past few days, automotive forums and websites have been talking about the new spy shots of the X and I know, some of yall are thinking, "wait, isn't that the Evo X"? Well, that's the problem we have here, it doesn't look like the Evo X, its more of a sedate X, but to big and broad for a base lancer. A few things that come in mind, the headlights on this model does not have the l.e.d of the EvoX, nor does it even resemble the shape as well, but I see what looks like projectors... possible h.i.d.s?. Also, those rims (which look pretty cool) are def 17's, I doubt MMC will go 17's on the X. The fender flares are gone and there is no spoiler. Look at the hood... looks to be vented, I doubt a lancer or Oz Rally wil get a vented hood. Also, if the hood is vented, then we could probably lay the rumor to rest, the 2007 Ralliart will be turbo, its just a matter of FWD or AWD. This could be the comptetion the WRX just needs. Im glad to see the return of the rear bumper license plate holder, as I hate the current trunk license plate holder. The car has a mazda 3 rear end to it, but a bit broader and the trunk line def sits higher, a la cadillac CTS. Also the rear lights have a lexus is250/350 approach, which is pretty sweet in my opinon, as I love those tails. Mitsubishi has retain the front 'rear well' sits higher and the back 'rear well' sits lower look again, just like the current ralliart (why do they do that?). If you look closey are the sterring wheel column, there is to pod like guages sticking out, could those be pods for a turbo application? Well, speculation, speculation... but my finger points to the next ralliart more than the next X. What do you think?

EDIT BY OTTER: Link to new video - http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=116193#3

Last edited by otter; Jul 21, 2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: UPDATE - NEW PICS!!!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

you might be right there I don't think it is a Evo... why looking at the ride height suggest that it is not AWD, as a general rule when you look at a stock Evo they tend to have a reasonable wheel arch clearance from tires this one looks more like a stock Lancer, the fronts look higher than the rear which suggests FWD, also there does not appear to be any rear window wipers which I beleive Evos have. the exhaust looks a bit on the small weak side like the lancers tend to be... I don't see any red brembo brakes and what you can see look too small to be suitable for a Evo and no idication for a I/C

I think you could be right but what engine have they got in there it may be just a GDI which is not a good sign as these turboed motors do not respond well to engine mods at all

good find very intersting
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'll take a Turbo FWD lancer ralliart 220+ hp. I don't really like 3's rear end but it doesn't look too bad.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

I like everything except for the rear end and the rims, but the rims can be changed. I am guessing that is not the evo. The current evo looks 10000000000000 times better. Does the evo have foglights?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
and they had to keep that fugly antenna...and still havent givin us any tint.
boooo mitsu. better have a turbo to makeup for it.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Im like'n it. Cant wait to see what its gonna be.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:44 AM

looks like a mazda 3
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought it WAS a Mazda3 till I spotted the lack of projectors and the extremely hard to see mitsu logos on the wheels
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Could this be it?

which is toned down from this:

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

good find Arithmetic!

The first pic kinda looks like a TSX......but the rear is definatley lookin like a Mazda 3
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

The new Evo will not be getting the L.E.D lights anyway, that's already been confirmed. But still it's quite likely this could be the new Ralliart or a model somewhere in between a Ralliart and Evo. Nice find!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

great to see some spy shots finally, hopefully it won't be too much longer to see the real deal!
Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I need to figure out where Mitsu does their test driving around here so I can see this myself. All I ever see are camoflaged cars from the big 3.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Another reason maybe why not the evo is the covered hood (bonnet!) surely they'd want the ventilation?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by chowetime

I think you could be right but what engine have they got in there it may be just a GDI which is not a good sign as these turboed motors do not respond well to engine mods at all

good find very intersting
No, I doubt it is GDI. Mitsubishi has made no news/effort on bringing GDI to the states anytime soon, or atleast not the end of this year - early next year. Im positive it will be a turbo application setup like the 4G63.

Quick Reply: 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer ES/DE/GTS and Ralliart [MERGED]