Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tranny Issues...adjust clutch rod?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Issues...adjust clutch rod?

I have an 05 Evo with the stock clutch/line/restrictor. It has 22k on it with ~350whp. I'm running Pennzoil Syncromesh that I change every 4k.

I have never really launched this car but have ended up burning the clutch really bad on a sad attempt at launching - that's when I decided to never launch again, and that was ~17k miles ago.

As of late my tranny has been acting up. I notice the following symptoms:

In 1st gear, the shifter shakes a little bit while doing hi-throttle pulls. It also seems to stick a little/hesitant to disengage/ go to neutral with the clutch in. This happens occasionally.

In 3rd gear, I have a slight notchiness that is there 75% of the time.

In 4th gear, when downshifting to 3rd, it sticks/doesn't want to disengage quickly. This also happens occasionally.

Would these symptoms be indicative of a clutch rod that needs adjustment?

Or are there other problems at large? FWIW, I notice that these symptoms diminish when the car is run for 25-30+ mins, but are still there for the most part.

Last edited by anjapower; Jun 5, 2006 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM sent.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
I have an 05 Evo with the stock clutch/line/restrictor. It has 22k on it with ~350whp. I'm running Pennzoil Syncromesh that I change every 4k.

I have never really launched this car but have ended up burning the clutch really bad on a sad attempt at launching - that's when I decided to never launch again, and that was ~17k miles ago.

As of late my tranny has been acting up. I notice the following symptoms:

In 1st gear, the shifter shakes a little bit while doing hi-throttle pulls. It also seems to stick a little/hesitant to disengage/ go to neutral with the clutch in. This happens occasionally.

In 3rd gear, I have a slight notchiness that is there 75% of the time.

In 4th gear, when downshifting to 3rd, it sticks/doesn't want to disengage quickly. This also happens occasionally.

Would these symptoms be indicative of a clutch rod that needs adjustment?

Or are there other problems at large? FWIW, I notice that these symptoms diminish when the car is run for 25-30+ mins, but are still there for the most part.
if you search around you will find a few ideas that people have to help these issues. some it will work for some it wont. funny, not really, but i thought for minute i was reading my post about my trans and act. exact to the tee same problems here.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I adjusted the clutch rod last night - just half a turn and took it for a drive. the symptoms that I described above were 90% resolved. I figured I'd turn it another quarter turn and that would take care of it.

I will avoid the rest of the story but I ended up having to readjust the clutch back and forth a few times afterwards - not because of the way the car was shifting.

I've completely lost my point of reference as to which way I've adjusted the clutch. The car seems to be shifting well but I'm concerned that I might have turned it too much one way or another. What is the best way to ensure that the adjustment is just right?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

One full turn is perfectly fine.

I wouldnt go close to 3 turns though, since it can have more negative effect than good.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 19psi
One full turn is perfectly fine.

I wouldnt go close to 3 turns though, since it can have more negative effect than good.
I've lost my point of reference...I'm not sure how many turns I've done. What's the best way (if there is a way) to ensure that I haven't adjusted it too far in either direction?
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

i adjusted mine few days ago as well...i have an exedy twin hd...its raised pretty high...is there a such thing as too high? if i lower it any then its notchy...
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
i adjusted mine few days ago as well...i have an exedy twin hd...its raised pretty high...is there a such thing as too high? if i lower it any then its notchy...
I'm guessing going too high would be akin to having your foot on the clutch pedal slightly while driving - thus slipping the clutch and causing premature wear.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

I also have been toying with my adjustment rod due to the recent install of my ACT HDSS w/ flywheel. I am also concered (maybe overconcered) that i have adjusted it TOO MUCH and i fear premature wear on the clutch disk. I pose the same question.....is there a way to tell when its "just right?"

The only downside to my current setup is very high engagement and a 50/50 chance of grind when shifting into reverse. Other than that, shifts are smooth. FWIW ive only put 300 miles of granny driving on the clutch.

Also....ACTMan you have PM

Last edited by Sap12687; Jun 8, 2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

if the car still shudders when engaging in first gear you may have warped your fly wheel... I know when i pulled my stock clutch it had plenty of meat left on it yet the driveability of it was gone due to a warped flywheel
Old Jun 9, 2006, 02:38 PM

stock clutch, no reference on an aftermarket clutch equipped car. so, take it as it is.

i added about 1.5 turns to mine the other day. i prefer a higher engagement on the pedal than where it was.

helps that wot shift from 1st to 2nd. or, the lack thereof.

--r