Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock

Out of curiosity, I decided to make a pressure tester to see how much pressure each of the blow off valves I own could hold before it leaks.

Stock Valve: It held to about 10psi and started leaking. It was a really slow leak though.

Forge RS: With it screwed all the way in, it held 38psi. The only problem I had w/ it was w/ the connection to the stock hose. I had to really crank the clamp down in order to not have it leak. I didn't have this problem w/ the other valves.

HKS SSQV: This bad boy can hold whatever you can throw at it. Of course, the design of it is the main reason. I had it cranked up to 60psi w/ no leaks . This is my project BOV. I think I have found the issues it seems to have on our EVO's w/ the recirculation kit. I am going to do some more testing on it. I like the design of this BOV, I just need to work on the driveability portion of it.

This weekend I will be testing my older Forge DV w/ the green, yellow, blue, and red springs. Should be fun .
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
You should also test the JDM MR/IX DV. It would fit into you comparison nicely.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

if you can, do the turboxs as well.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I doubt he just has every random BOV sitting around...
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

/\ Hahah... Hey let me know how it goes with the different colored springs of the Forge DV. BTW, Warrtalon, would you happen to know what each color holds up to?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jj_008
Out of curiosity, I decided to make a pressure tester to see how much pressure each of the blow off valves I own could hold before it leaks.

Stock Valve: It held to about 10psi and started leaking. It was a really slow leak though.

Forge RS: With it screwed all the way in, it held 38psi. The only problem I had w/ it was w/ the connection to the stock hose. I had to really crank the clamp down in order to not have it leak. I didn't have this problem w/ the other valves.

HKS SSQV: This bad boy can hold whatever you can throw at it. Of course, the design of it is the main reason. I had it cranked up to 60psi w/ no leaks . This is my project BOV. I think I have found the issues it seems to have on our EVO's w/ the recirculation kit. I am going to do some more testing on it. I like the design of this BOV, I just need to work on the driveability portion of it.

This weekend I will be testing my older Forge DV w/ the green, yellow, blue, and red springs. Should be fun .
Nice to see our RS valve holds exactly what we have spec'd it to hold! A little higher actually!
Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

I am running my Ghetto Stock plastic BOV and retested it after 6 month, still holds 30PSI before very minor leak.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
thank you for this service, this portion of truth is very beneficial to the community.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I doubt he just has every random BOV sitting around...
I thought I was doing pretty good having 4 BOV's. If anyone wants me to test a BOV they own, just send me a PM and we'll work something out.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Did you try the Forge RS bov at less than full preload on the spring? It seems to hold good at less than full preload also.

Brian
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WannaRace
/\ Hahah... Hey let me know how it goes with the different colored springs of the Forge DV. BTW, Warrtalon, would you happen to know what each color holds up to?
The order is the following (with estimated manifold psi): Green (18psi), yellow (23psi), blue (28psi), red (40psi). I will see how close my estimates are this weekend. I won't be using the shims. That would take forever .

Last edited by jj_008; Mar 16, 2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

The order of spring stiffness is the following (with estimated psi): Green (18psi), yellow (23psi), blue (28psi), red (40psi). I will see how close my estimates are this weekend. I won't be using the shims. That would take forever .
Those numbers are pretty close, HOWEVER, it should be understood that those PSI ratings for our standard valve springs are not that of the spring pressures alone. Those PSI ratings will also take into account the pressure reference to the top of the valve adding force holding the valve shut which is what the valve will see under normal operation (with no leaks anywhere else in the system). The spring pressures alone are less than those figures.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
Did you try the Forge RS bov at less than full preload on the spring? It seems to hold good at less than full preload also.

Brian
I tried a few times, but I was having issues w/ it leaking at the hose. I never got a good number, but w/ the valve turned about half way out, I was close to 20psi. This is just an estimate since I couldn't the tester to hold the pressure.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@Forge
Those numbers are pretty close, HOWEVER, it should be understood that those PSI ratings for our standard valve springs are not that of the spring pressures alone. Those PSI ratings will also take into account the pressure reference to the top of the valve adding force holding the valve shut which is what the valve will see under normal operation (with no leaks anywhere else in the system). The spring pressures alone are less than those figures.
The pressure numbers I quoted are w/ the top port hose connected. I would like to think nobody runs a BOV w/o the top port connected .
Old Mar 16, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

The pressure numbers I quoted are w/ the top port hose connected. I would like to think nobody runs a BOV w/o the top port connected .
I just don't want anyone to confuse "spring pressure" with "test pressure".

Quick Reply: BOV Pressure Testing: HKS, Forge, Stock