Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hsk Ssqv Help, Question!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hks Ssqv Help, Question!

ok on another forum i posted that i reacently purchased a HKS SSQV BOV for my 03 evo 8. Now its been brought up by someone that these BOVS are not good and will ruin turbos??? i need to know whats up with this and is it true or not, ive looked around on here and seen many people with great reviews of this BOV and how it works, so i need some help please. will this ruin my car/turbo? thanks in advance.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep searching, this has been explained tons of times. I know the posts are there because they are how I learned.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOu can't be serious when you say that you read many great review on that BOV here. If you really searched, you would have seen how we all say NOT TO USE IT. It's terrible for the Evo, but it won't ruin your car or turbo.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Yea the SSQV is a big mistake on the Evo. I am trying to get rid of mine. Research parts next time before you buy.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:43 PM

I also purchased a hks ssqv bov for my 03 evo and the only problems they give you is idling malfunctions. For that you need to buy a recirculation kit.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

The SSQV and the evo don't seem to get along too well. They usually work better with a universal flange located in a different spot. I would just sell it.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:45 PM

I won't ruin your turbo dude, so don't worry! In fact blow off valves are good for your turbo's, you just have to get a good one for the evo, i have had three different ones, and the best one that i have used is the greddy type s with the single spring mod with the recirc kit. the hks sucks, and the blitz was even worse.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kwman
The SSQV and the evo don't seem to get along too well. They usually work better with a universal flange located in a different spot. I would just sell it.
+1

Sell it and save the money and just buy the MR DV, or the Forge RS, or if you like the sound look up the APS Duel port BOV it does both vents and recir.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

I just bought this evil BOV (used) and I am going to do some testing on it to see what's the deal w/ it. The theory behind it is good, I just want to see why it acts the way it does.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll save you the trouble...it acts this way because it is passing air that used to be metered by the MAF....the stock system uses a diverter valve to re-route air into the air intake. The computer looks for this air, so when it does not get that air because the SSQV vents it to atmosphere it makes the car run rich between shifts and off throttle conditions.

There, I saved you a bunch of time =)
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
I'll save you the trouble...it acts this way because it is passing air that used to be metered by the MAF....the stock system uses a diverter valve to re-route air into the air intake. The computer looks for this air, so when it does not get that air because the SSQV vents it to atmosphere it makes the car run rich between shifts and off throttle conditions.

+1

You can run the BOV without recirculating, but you would need a tune...
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8

I am going to be using the recirculation kit. VTA=bad for MAF.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know why people say its a bad BOV...i think if you vent it yes it is a "bad" BOV but that doesnt make it any different than any other vented BOV....if you can recirculate it, it will run fine, i ran one recirculated great for a looong time though it was on a DSM but its the same engine....
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:37 PM
Account Disabled

any VTA bov will give u problems when u r still running the factory MAF. I dont get it why people say that HKS ssqv and evo doesnt get along, u can recirculate it to make it run better.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:54 PM

what if i have mine recirculated and it still doesnt idle good. everyone has told me to get a different bov , but shouldnt it be fine if its recirculated?

Quick Reply: Hsk Ssqv Help, Question!