Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Data on various MY Blown Engines

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Data on various MY Blown Engines

OK Its high time to sort through the crap about stockish blown engines as it pertains to various model years (MY) of the EVO. What we need is everyone to weigh in if you've had a failure. What we need is MY, mods, miles, conditions(over boost, over rev, ect.), Pics for knowledge, race/trackday history, and any other conditions you feel contributed to the failure (such as an over rev 2 months earlier, a crap tune, ect). Looks like from the board that some MYs are bearing prone ect. If you know someone that isnt on the boards or have gotten rid of their EVO have them post. Those without Engine failures need not add comments or tuner wars. So:

Model year:
Mods:
Miles:
Conditions:
Pics:
Race/Track History:
Contributing Factors:

I will keep an updated and running list (for better or worse at least we will know variences). PLEASE DONT BE AFRAID THAT YOU WILL "HURT" YOU TUNER!!! You wont this is about the cars themselves and the betterment of the community. No listing of built engines STOCK BOTTOM ENDS ONLY. Also hardcore racers (roadrace only) and shop cars arent needed unless you fell it is relevant. Occasional track guys welcome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY03

1)nrcooled
Model year: '03
Mods: Intake, MBC @ 20.5psi, exhaust, DP, stock cat, walbro, dynoflash
Miles: 34k
Conditions: Ticking started about 300miles before rod knock (attributed to lifters)
Pics: none
Race/Track History: 4 roadcourse weekends
Contributing Factors: no detonation signs on the pistons but possibly too light of an oil at the track and too many revs. Shifter at 7600 at the track. No over-revs that I know of. Hit the raised rev limiter a few times @ 7800. Oil was changed after every trackday and everymonth when not being tracked.
Results were a spun bearing on #1 cylinder. Crank could have been machined and put back in but I decided to just do a stroker while everything was out.

2)jmartinez1170
Model year: 03
Mods:to long to list stock turbo
Miles:52k +
Conditions: not doing to good
Pics:not yet
Race/Track History: one time ran 11.97
Contributing Factors AEM PISTON NUMBER 4 IS GOING OUT THE RINGS ARE GONE IM WORKING ON GETTING REBUILD WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS

3)blakevo
Mods: stock
Miles:15,000
Conditions: it was mint
Hole in radiator pissing antifreeze/overheated threw a rod through my bottom end, complete new engine dropped in. Mitsu said no due to over reving(driving the car hard).hahah

4)Smogrunner
Mods: Exhaust, cams, cam gears, tme 6.5 turbo, manual boost controller, xede/xflash, ams ic with licp, ngk copper plugs (note: not tuned by Vishnu for these mods). Full explanation to come...
Miles: 35,000
Conditions: cool night at the dragstrip
Pics: coming
Race/Track History: coming
Contributing Factors: overconfidence that my motor wouldn't break. Spark plug ceramic around the electrode broke off and cracked #3 piston. No signs of heat or detonation anywhere. Crank and rods in perfect condition. Probably happened because I had installed a boost controller the night before and turned it up at the track a little beyond what the car was tested for. Also, I wasn't using the ideal NGKbr8 plug. I'll post up more later. Late for work now.

5)Ericr
Model: 03
mods: included a new AMS 3071R turbo kit, 3" turbo-back with cat, 264/272 cams, 680 injectors, xede v3 and SMART
Miles: The car had 7k miles when it happened. Pics:https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=engine+blown
Conditions:Shiv was just finishing a 97 octane map and was pulling about 370whp. He then did one more run when the rod blew at about 4k rpm. Shiv's opinion was that there must of been a manufacturing flaw with this particular motor

6)Thomblazeevo8
Model:03
Mods: Stock
Miles: 15,800
Conditions: Two spun bearings in a two week peoriod, Improper install, failure to fllush system by Mitsu. first by a possible botched downshift
Race History: None

7) EvOJoHnY0312
Model: '03
Mods: unknown
Miles: unknown
Contributions: Warrantied by Mitsu, driven for 6500 miles while away with no oil change

8) UT EVO
Mods: 0 (brand new)
Miles: 3076, broken in properly (except the first 100 or so miles, which were unaccounted for)
Conditions: Driving normal, bam: rod knock, hooray!
Pics: If I can find them sometime, I'll get them up...
Race/Track History: 0
Contributing Factors: 50% chance Oil loss (why, well... no one knows or will tell us, sure wasn't our fault though... A few techs at the dealer said that there's no way a brand new engine should burn through all its oil that fast, and unless I'm mistaken there were no oil leaks)... 50% chance something else, maybe I pushed the self-destruct button on accident

9) forum04pl
Mods: hks exhaust / hks 272's / hks rs / vishnu cam gears / ams ic piping / hks ssqv / hallman mbc / blitz fmic / rnr 50 trim / precison 780's / coolingmist alcohol / ecu+ / rre x clutch / tanabe gf 210's / work emotions / cf front lip / cf trunk / cusco rear sway bar / cusco catch can / defi gauges / hks tt / pmu pads / rotorpro rotors / Dynoflash
Miles: 39k
Conditions: pretty good
Pics: no pics of damage
Race/Track History: a few autox and a bunch of drag
Contributing Factors: failed oil pump causing all main and rod bearings to spin within miles after failure, GET AN OIL PRESSURE GAUGE YOU WILL THANK ME LATER!!!!! also note that there was no signs of detination on pistons, rods were also fine. used to have a dynoflash if that makes any difference becuase im kinda noticing a pattern with that lately.

LIFER
Model year: 2003
Mods: stock turbo, 100% meth, 272's, 780cc, 255fp, vpro
Miles: 21000
Result: 4 spun bearings, bent crank, warped head.
Race/Track History: tracked every other week.. About 40 1/4 passes a month
Contributing Factors: Miss shifts, hot lapping, 26 psi on alky and pump.. lol (you live you learn)

MY05

1) thechoc
Model year: 05
Mods:AEM Short Ram, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Perrin end links, Perrin 25mm sway bar, Cusco V1&2 lower arm braces, Cusco OST strut tower braces, DC Sport TBE (no cat),
TurboSmart Dual Port BOV, Hallman Pro MBC (@ 21 psi), TT flash
Miles:8001
Conditions: spun rod bearing
Pics: eh
Race/Track History: about 25 trackdays and 200 or so strip launches
Contributing Factors: 25 trackdays + 200 strip launches + idoit driver (It was like the Monte Carlo rally everytime I drove that thing) + Eh? = dead evo
It really was just unburnt fuel mixing with the oil that caused the the spun bearing, a little too rich I guess

2) Aikido

Model: 05
Mods: none
Miles: 3400 miles
Conditions: had on my 05 evo VIII, to my dismay my number 1 piston rod broke, and the bearing spun. In all honesty I don't take my car to the track, I don't race it on the street. Mitsu Warranty

3)Raybear

Miles 1500
Mods: Buschur stage1
Conditions: Racing a car on freeway/ spun bearing. Possible dealer abuse(~400 miles on car. Mitsu Warranty

4)cwestevo

Model:05?
Miles:unknown
Mods:I was a beta tester for Dynoflash and had my car flashed on the dyno when it was stock. Added a TB Exhaust, Replaced stock airbox with filter, Added boost controller set at 21psi, Added Walbro Fuel Pump, Added ARP Headstuds and 272's.
Contributing: We think that the car just simply leaned out tooooo much and caused the rod to break

5) stew

Miles: Car: 15,300 miles
Mods:Turbo XS intake, Invidia TBE,Hallman MBC, Dynoflash "mail in"
Pics: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...4&page=1&pp=15
Contributing: stock FP, major thrown rod 10 days after tune. AFR >12.1 @ 7K

Last edited by 13-0; Mar 8, 2006 at 06:30 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

get to it! We need info
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump
Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
infoz
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 13-0
OK Its high time to sort through the crap about stockish blown engines as it pertains to various model years (MY) of the EVO. What we need is everyone to weigh in if you've had a failure. What we need is MY, mods, miles, conditions(over boost, over rev, ect.), Pics for knowledge, race/trackday history, and any other conditions you feel contributed to the failure (such as an over rev 2 months earlier, a crap tune, ect). Looks like from the board that some MYs are bearing prone ect. If you know someone that isnt on the boards or have gotten rid of their EVO have them post. Those without Engine failures need not add comments or tuner wars. So:

Model year:
Mods:
Miles:
Conditions:
Pics:
Race/Track History:
Contributing Factors:

I will keep an updated and running list (for better or worse at least we will know variences). PLEASE DONT BE AFRAID THAT YOU WILL "HURT" YOU TUNER!!! You wont this is about the cars themselves and the betterment of the community. No listing of built engines STOCK BOTTOM ENDS ONLY. Also hardcore racers (roadrace only) and shop cars arent needed unless you fell it is relevant. Occasional track guys welcome.
Bump! It seems alot of 05s have been biting the dust lately.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Good idea, I hope everyone puts their info in this post.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

I really thought some would participate
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

wow, this car must be indestructable! when I get mine I am going to hammer it out of the driveway, punch through as many gears as I can on my way and powerslide into the parking lot where I work! yeah! (yes this is a hidden bump)
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

come on guys, we know your out there... unless they all changed cars after the failure :gasp:
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

A lot of people blow their engines but wont come out and say so. So its best you close this thread. People like to keep something like this personal
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

I think its more Driver error than car reliability. You mod you risk it.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by platinumspecv
A lot of people blow their engines but wont come out and say so. So its best you close this thread. People like to keep something like this personal
Very understandable, but it would be nice if someone tracked and referenced all the reasons that cause the Evo to go KABOOM! It be very nice for people to know what to do and what not to do to keep these motors running. Especially newbies like me. I know it does sound sort of selfish to ask since any info given is that persons misfortune, but it would be for the good of all Evo kind.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Mods: Intake, MBC @ 20.5psi, exhaust, DP, stock cat, walbro, dynoflash
Miles: 34k
Conditions: Ticking started about 300miles before rod knock (attributed to lifters)
Pics: none
Race/Track History: 4 roadcourse weekends
Contributing Factors: no detonation signs on the pistons but possibly too light of an oil at the track and too many revs. Shifter at 7600 at the track. No over-revs that I know of. Hit the raised rev limiter a few times @ 7800. Oil was changed after every trackday and everymonth when not being tracked.

Results were a spun bearing on #1 cylinder. Crank could have been machined and put back in but I decided to just do a stroker while everything was out.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Can someone explain how this ticking sounds/consistency/location please. I think mine might be doing it. (mods are TBE, KN dropin/dynoflash) PM me if you feel it is appropriate as it is off topic.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

it was a light ticking that comes from the back of the engine bay. I don't know if it was too faint to hear at other times but it was audible at about 2300-3000k and would "go away". I thought it was a bad lifter waiting for more oil to pump it up. I was wrong. I could not duplicate the sound without load on the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Data on various MY Blown Engines