Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.

Hello all,

I'm not writing this post to bash the BR mounts but I'd like to share my thoughts about it after having it on the car for over a week.

Firstly, I notice that most of the engine flex is gone, even though i didnt do the rear mount. There is a bit more vibration in the cabin, which if fine by me, but my only complaint is that I think there is rattling coming from the mount area which I hear when the car is at idle from time to time, and when I go over rough road.

This morning I got underneath the car and removed the lower splash tray and started looking for the rattle. my first suspect was the lower tie bars hitting against the DP, but had already put washers in both of them.... Ater doing that I notice the DP/lower bar rattle is gone.

The next thing is the black clutch cover that covers up the flywheel. there is 1 bolt missing there so i assume that this could be another source of the rattlling, but I eliminated that since I can geta new bolt on there to get rid of it.

The only thing I can imagine now is perhaps the metal bolt is rattling against the metal sleeve that are pressed into the Buschur MM's.

Could this be? I imagine so if there is room for free play between the bolt and the sleeve in the motor mounts.

right now I'm thinking of locating a stock front MM and reinstalling it to see if that solves the problem....

Thats for reading.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Dang, 50 views and nobody wants to comment???
Old Jan 21, 2006, 03:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have similar noises with my Powerflex bushing, I think they are just from the added stiffness, I get the noise from the drivers side front area, haven't pin pointed it yet though
Old Jan 21, 2006, 06:40 PM

I get the same rattle. I only hear it add idle while I'm outside the car. I was thinking it's something in the front bumper cover or headlight area. Perhaps the headlight housings are rattling? It doesn't really bother me cause I think the pros outway the cons with this mount.

Last edited by RC05EVO; Jan 22, 2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for replying, I'm gonna see if i can locate a stock mount and see if that eliminates the rattle
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Screw the rattle, It's an Evo, the mounts make the engine respond to the chassis much quicker, job well done.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CBRE
Screw the rattle, It's an Evo, the mounts make the engine respond to the chassis much quicker, job well done.
Good reply I was thinking the same thing but didnt post it.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CBRE

I just only did the front mount, and left the rear mount out.... will this be sufficient?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

That's funny - after all the "forget torque dampers, bushings are the way to go" threads, it looks like the bushings just hadn't been around long enough for people to get over the initial excitement and really take an objective look at them. In the end every mod is a trade off.

Up until 1 hour ago I had a WR torque damper on the car, never any rattling problems, much reduced engine slop. I just removed it and installed a BR front bushing (partly 'cause I'm curious, and also because I like the idea of removing weight). I have not driven the car yet (got to get clean first, changed all the fluids too and got pretty dirty).

So far the only complaint I have is that the bushing is pretty much impossible to install without a press. I got the old one out (with a chisel), and the new one half-way in (with a vise), but then my vise broke (it was a cheapy). So I walked over to a Toyota dealership and had them press it in for me, which worked no problem. If BR sold the bushing already in the mounts, with an optional core exchange, it would be easy to install with basic hand tools, and easy to switch back if you don't like it.

Ok, time for a shower and a test drive ... .
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:54 PM
Account Disabled

There is one small rattle that has begun to occur but thats it, and it shifts like butter now so thats all that matters
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

I assume you meant left the stock one in... you kinda need all the mounts

It will stiffen it some but you might as well do it all. The idea is to keep it shifting nicely and it probably helps the drivetrain a decent amount as well. Why only do one?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

I think its funnier that none of the DSMer type people do much with the Evos. What happened to the good ol' windshield glue polyeurathane type stuff?
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down

ok, back from the test drive.

Pros:
it does work as advertised, I don't think the engine movement feels any different from the damper to the bushing, maybe a tad stiffer but that could be subjective. Shifting is smooth as ever.

Cons:
I was ready for vibration ... I was ready for some rattles too .... but forget all that, lets talk about noise! This thing is fragging loud... when I started the car I thought I had an exhaust leak... I can hear everything going on in the engine bay, turbo spooling up/down, valve chatter, etc. My exhaust is easy twice as loud inside the cabin as it used to be. It's no louder outside at all (no reaon it should be), but inside the noise level has gone up a lot.

Conclusions:
It does the job, but it's not for me. Considering it is only marginally better in reducing engine movement than my torque damper was, I don't think I'm willing to put up with the substantial increase in drone inside the car. Now I really wish I hadn't destroyed my stock bushing when I installed this thing. I still have an IC piping kit sitting in the garage to install, when I get around to it I will try to trade somebody for a stock engine mount.

I don't feel cheated or anything, but I truly didn't expect this drastic noise increase - I have a 3" TBE with polyurethane hangers and a cat delete for track days, and I love the sound, but the harder engine mount bushing pushed it into the annoyance zone
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by voidhawk
That's funny - after all the "forget torque dampers, bushings are the way to go" threads, it looks like the bushings just hadn't been around long enough for people to get over the initial excitement and really take an objective look at them. In the end every mod is a trade off.

Up until 1 hour ago I had a WR torque damper on the car, never any rattling problems, much reduced engine slop. I just removed it and installed a BR front bushing (partly 'cause I'm curious, and also because I like the idea of removing weight). I have not driven the car yet (got to get clean first, changed all the fluids too and got pretty dirty).

So far the only complaint I have is that the bushing is pretty much impossible to install without a press. I got the old one out (with a chisel), and the new one half-way in (with a vise), but then my vise broke (it was a cheapy). So I walked over to a Toyota dealership and had them press it in for me, which worked no problem. If BR sold the bushing already in the mounts, with an optional core exchange, it would be easy to install with basic hand tools, and easy to switch back if you don't like it.

Ok, time for a shower and a test drive ... .
The POWERFLEX bushings do not need to be pressed in and have a SS sleeve with copper antiseize that comes with it. We stock these!

I am not certain of the durometer of the BR bushings, but it is possible that it is a stiffer durometer than powerflex. If unhappy with the BR ones. I urge you to try our POWERFLEX unit.

I think we wrote the whole "forget the engine dampner" tagline so I would like to stand behind that statement. The powerflex units were selling out so fast that I was unable to get one on the MR at first to be honest. Last Sunday I was finally able to install it and took it for a spin. HOLY &*#^! This was the best mod in a long time if not ever. I was thinking to myself, I would pay $99 for this.

The start from a standstill was so much smoother. The clutch chatter from engagement was gone and we were FINALLY able to do some no-lift-to-shift tests with just this front mount. Guess what? We were able to NLTS on the first try (8500-8700rpms) and the quick shifts were so much easier. We noticed the rigidity of the car felt more tight. Accelleration and braking does not have the motor twisting from front to back and back to front with the momentum of the car.

Just the normal day to day driving when engaging the clutch in traffic from a standstill makes it worth it alone. The added benefits of the above mention side affects make it that much more awesome. We are hooked.
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like you need to send that bushing here

Quick Reply: My likes and dislikes of the Buschur Motor mounts.