Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Final Results!! Buschur Ported Parts + Alky

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Final Results!! Buschur Ported Parts + Alky

I'd like to start off with HUGE thanks to the following individuals:
- Dave Buschur for providing awesome parts and support while trying to achieve some great things
- Dynoflash Al who probably has an ulcer now from all the crap I put him through today in my quest to provide results at every tuning level with and without alky so that the rest of EvoM (and the whole Evo community) could have real data with which to make their own decisions
- Mike @ Forge Motorsports for providing all the Forge bits that I needed in order to run this much boost effectively by using the exact parts I wanted
- Greg @ GSC who rushed a Forge WGA to me, since Forge was out of them, and for the cams that are now on their way to me
- Brian @ Ultimate Performance and Dan @ MachV for allowing me to rent the dyno during the week when they don't normally do that - and for allowing us to use and abuse the dyno to our heart's content without interference (and without charging me as much as they should have)

So without further adieu...

Here it is...the results many have been waiting for, including myself. AFter being disappointed on Sunday due to the Forge WGA not being tightened all the way, I quickly got it tightened down on Monday night, then tested it to make sure I was getting a boost spike instead of the gradual onset of boost - this worked. So, knowing that I had Al in town for a tuning trip and knowing that he had some free time in the morning/mid-day, I setup a dyno session at MachV Motorsports only 2 miles from my house. Luckily, Brian from Ultimate Performance (owns the dyno) agreed to let me rent the dyno for an hour (or two, heh). I met up with Al at TheSpeedFactor, then we headed over to MachV/Ultimate to get on the dyno.

Details:
Previous dyno: Extreme Motorsports - Dynojet = 320whp/288wtq (uncorrected) at 46*F

Mods:
Megan 3" Catless TBE
Forge UNOS MBC
Forge RS BOV
Forge Wastegate Actuator
Buschur Racing Air Filter Kit
Buschur Racing ported/coated stock exhaust manifold
Buschur Racing ported/coated stock 10.5 hotside
Ebay O2 Housing
Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
SMC Alcohol Injection Kit
Custom Dynoflash

Stock Parts:
Upper and Lower IC piping
FMIC
Injectors
Cams
Cam Gears
FPR

First graph shows the comparison of Extreme's Dynojet vs MachV's Dynojet
- My dyno numbers at Extreme on Sunday in 46*F with only 19-20psi showing on my boost gauge.
- MachV graph is baseline after fixing WGA and with boost gauge showing 22, but MAP sensor only showing 19psi at 64*F. Warmer temps, more boost, lower HP numbers up top, but more torque. Can't show TQ curve, because MachV dyno had major problems picking up the RPM signal until about run 8 after we were already on alky. They had to bust out new cables and everything, so I have no exact tq readings on pump
- Draw your own conclusions on how these two read relative to one another. A cammed Evo with alky put down 335whp on this dyno 10 days ago, and a IX w/flash and axle-back ran 270/270 that same day, then went to Precision Dyno's Mustang Dyno a few days ago and put down 270/270 again on its baseline run...

Ok, now we have MachV results of the previous 19psi chart vs our final 24psi chart, which included raised boost obviously and fine tuning for the intake and ported parts. Wow, 330/330 on pump gas without being tuned to the edge and hitting 24psi without knocking thanks to the ported mani/10.5 and Ebay o2 all courtesy of Dave Buschur. These parts are showing that they allow for more boost/timing on pump gas.

Then, we turned on the alky, and after the RPM signal wires got fixed, we were able to get all the TQ info. This is a comparison of the final pump graph vs the 28psi alky graph.

Now, I just wanted to see the numbers at 28psi, but I have no intention of driving daily like that nor road racing like that, so we tried out a 25-26psi tune and got this (compared with previous 28psi chart). Interesting how although the 28psi has much more area under the curve, it appears to break up on the top end and has less top-end power than the 26psi tune...either ignition or a boost-related quirk (BOV, MBC, WGA?). By this point, I was on BR8ES plugs gapped to .021 thanks to Al who eyeballed the plugs to .021, then we used a feeler gauge to verify, and 3 of them were spot on. Only one needed to be minorly adjusted.

Here are all 4 HP graphs at MachV from baseline to best pump to best alky to daily driven alky:

Finally, my progression of mods from stock through today, although it's on 3 separate dynos, all were Dynojets at least:

So, one thing you can clearly see is how I'm making tons more power at each step on the top 3 curves (all today), but that the power falls back down to almost the exact same power level above 6500 rpm. I know I don't have cams or an FMIC, so that could have something to do with it, but my boost was holding in there pretty well. On the 28psi run, I still had 23.5psi at 6900rpm, and on the 26psi run, I still had 21psi at 7000rpm, but the power wasn't really there. I found out later tonight when driving in 6th on the highway that I can no longer induce compressor surge, which is very strange, because I cranked the Forge RS BOV all the way to its tightest setting, yet it purges at the first hint of boost on throttle-lift. Before this weekend's installs, I only had the RS set to about halfway, and it would surge if I was dumb and built 10psi in 6th then let off slowly. Now, with it tightened fully, it won't do it at all in any gear at any psi, so something is off. This may have something to do with the power dropoff way at the top (other than the normal reasons). I will need to check on this tomorrow...

Here is the solo graph for the tune/psi I will be running daily:

Last edited by Warrtalon; Jan 18, 2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know why I get so excited about your posts, but I do. I love the extensive write ups and comparisons. Congrats and look forward to your presence in the Rocky Mountain EVO Community.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect, for the readers of this post, keep in mind these numbers are uncorrected.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, everything is uncorrected on purpose to show true power being put to the ground vice estimated power in other conditions. I showed both SAE and Uncorrected on Sunday, then said I'd only use Uncorrected from now on so that I can see the true difference in power each time. In this case today, the temps were 67*, which is very close to the equilibrium temps, so the SAE correction was minimal (<10whp/wtq).
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

So are you running a duel stage flash, where alky only comes on at a certain boost level or will you be running alky all the time?
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Turbo13
I don't know why I get so excited about your posts, but I do. I love the extensive write ups and comparisons. Congrats and look forward to your presence in the Rocky Mountain EVO Community.
Warrtalon has a very excelent manner of sifting through vast amounts of data, organizing it and explaining things in a clear and understandable manner

I really hope he can find time to get to the track with this new set up - its a very strong car

I hope his next step includes the cams and a BR Race fmic

PS - I suspect that the surge is reduced as the wastgate is not fully closing - the arm needs threads curt off or what ever they do

The Forge waste gate actuator is a killer mod - (if you can find one)

PPS - I highly recomend the Speed Factor for the DC guys who need work on evos - great guys.

Also the Mach V shop was really a great place to work - one of the best dyno jets in the usa for sure

Last edited by DynoFlash; Jan 17, 2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Nice numbers! I'd be pretty psyched to get those cams...! I wish we could see some track times now..... f'n winter
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nefblkevo
So are you running a duel stage flash, where alky only comes on at a certain boost level or will you be running alky all the time?
Alky all the time, however, the progressive settings on the SMC kit are set such that my tune does not change whether I run 28 psi or 25psi. We tested this to make sure by keeping the afr/timing the same but with different boost levels. Since the SMC kit progressively injects alky depending on the settings you choose, I use less alky with lower boost, so it all works out. With higher boost, it injects more alky and thus keeps the tune within spec. As I said, we tested this on several different boost settings without changing the tune whatsoever, and each one made the same power curve just with more or less power depending on the boost itself.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I do like that tq curve. Nice!! I'm going with the same setup less the Forge BV and Actuator, what difference will that make?

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Yes, everything is uncorrected on purpose to show true power being put to the ground vice estimated power in other conditions. I showed both SAE and Uncorrected on Sunday, then said I'd only use Uncorrected from now on so that I can see the true difference in power each time. In this case today, the temps were 67*, which is very close to the equilibrium temps, so the SAE correction was minimal (<10whp/wtq).
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
I hope his next step includes the cams and a BR Race fmic

PS - I suspect that the surge is reduced as the wastgate is not fully closing - the arm needs threads curt off or what ever they do

The Forge waste gate actuator is a killer mod - (if you can find one)
Yep, cams are on the way (along with head studs).

I'd love to get my hands on the BR Race FMIC - paging Dave Buschur...

That may be the case with the WGA. I guess we should go ahead and cut off some threads and tighten it down more. I just wasn't sure if that was something that could be causing my new BOV issue, but if it can, then that's probably it.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nefblkevo
I do like that tq curve. Nice!! I'm going with the same setup less the Forge BV and Actuator, what difference will that make?
Well, you may have a harder time maintaining high boost for as long, and you will need a BOV that can hold that high boost rock solid.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

I just bought a JDM MR BV and haven't installed it yet so i don't want to buy a new one, but I may go for the Forge actuator. I'm also going to stick with my EBC, it works just fine thus far
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

The JDM MR DV is a great valve - I used it to go 12.000 - but it will not hold the boost you'll be running on alky. Its limit is 24-25psi...
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Time to ditch the Megan and get a Buschur TBE.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Excellent post. Warrtalon and I were PM'ing on this before I actually read it and I was hoping for a 100% honest post of the numbers. I can tell you that even with Al and myself helping him he didn't pull any BS with this post.

I had told him I didn't want just the largest number they were able to make posted and left at that.

Thank you for posting the entire story up as it shows how great the tune came out at all boost levels. I appreciate that.

Anyway, great power and even better for a car with the limited mods that your car has.

A set of cams and a FMIC and the car should really be pushing 400+.

Looking forward to seeing some new times posted.

Thanks again, I appreciate the way you made a COMPLETE post with all the dyno numbers from different boost levels.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

Quick Reply: Final Results!! Buschur Ported Parts + Alky