Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The Ultimate BOV Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ultimate BOV Thread

I am sure most of you are getting tired of searching for days and days on evom.net about what bov is good for our cars, be it 03 or 05 models, Recirc or VTA... I go on constant threads hearing about people saying HKS SSQV is not good for our cars unless you get evo kits, and ive heard that single spring mods are better then double spring for the greddy type s. Then ive heard that the single spring leaks boost. Ive heard that the JDM MR DV works great, but sounds like a stocker. Ive heard the stock leaks boost. Lets please squash all questions and come to a consensus about what valves are good/bad, the advantages/disadvantages, and if people can post pics of how they have their setups, and possibly a sound clip of their valve, so people can find out the best valve for their specific application. Ill post a sound clip and a pic on my car in a post when i get home.

I am running a Greddy Type S, Single spring mod, Recirc (with the little pointed nozzle open) with a k&n typhoon SRI (intake is loud as hell) its 3/4 of the way adjusted towards hardness.. I have a 03 WW evo, and it sounds like it surges under Full boost at higher rpms.. Ill get sound and ill have a pic later.. please guys post your setups and as much info as you can, so we can squash the bov questions, because i have questions myself as well.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I have a vented SSQV on my '03 without any problems. Only power mods that I have are an AFCII and my ARC FMIC; Stock intake, stock UICP, stock ECU, etc...
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a aps bov and its perfect. also has a nice chuff sound without any drivability issues
Old Sep 12, 2005, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

APS, works flawlessly.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a friend that has the SSQ VTA and he says hes not expieriencing any probelms. i have a greddy type s but i cant install it because i need the adapter but i think im gonna trade it for an SSQ
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

im about to install a ssq I was just wondering if I shuold get the recirc kit ?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

APS without a doubt is hte best bov.. loud when u want it loud... or quiet when there are cops at the same light... and does what a bov is supposed to do with no idling issues
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JSYEVO
i have a friend that has the SSQ VTA and he says hes not expieriencing any probelms. i have a greddy type s but i cant install it because i need the adapter but i think im gonna trade it for an SSQ

I've got just the thing for you.

PM
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

I just purchased the GFB/Works BOV and it works flawlessly on my 2005 Evo MR. No stalling at all (not even lowered RPM's). I have it set to the recommended Works settings and it sounds super loud with a smooth Whoooooosh sounds. It has a volume control knob on it (which they call a volume knob) It is set aboub 35% VTA and I think it sounds perfect. It has 11 positions on the VTA (volume setting). That allows you to go from full VTA to full recirculate. The installation is a breeze and you can adjust it completely with no hand tools at all.

Only one downside to it. It is one of the highest cost BOV units there is. I think the APS is probably as good, just doesnt have the flexibility of VTA adjustment. It is fixed.

The HKS SSBOV is one of the only valves that in its design makes it impossible to leak. The higher the boost the harder it closes the valve

The stock BOV starts cracking open at 19 to 20 psi. The MR bov starts cracking open at 23 psi. I tested this with a pressure apparatus at home.

I suggest if using the HKS you use a recirc kit (not an evo specific kit, but at least a recirc kit and recirc it back in). It works fine VTA if drag racing, but in normal everyday driving it will cause low RPM drop downs when coming to idle after a throttle blip in a parking lot, or the end of a street coming to a stop sign. Some with cams will even cut off. I know some people say they work fine VTA, but they have learn to drive around the low RPM drop down or stalling issue. You can change your driving style to minmize these problems, if that something you would like to do.

With the GFB that I have, you can drive however you like with no problems. That is at least on a 2005 model.

My $.02.

Brian
Old Sep 12, 2005, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Greddy Type-RS is not designed very well.

Greddy type-RS is anything but an improvement over the type-s. Really poor design IMO. If you measure the valve face vs. the actuator face, you will find the the valve is ~1.5mm larger when closed. Once the valve starts to crack open, there is another ~2.0mm of surface exposed...even worse. While this does not seem like a lot, it means you have to have more pressure in the manifold (where the line for the actuator runs) than in your IC piping...an impossibility to be sure.

So with the single spring mod, it is going to leak boost. Grrrrr! And even with both springs, you have to have it almost cranked down completely to try and keep it from leaking. Even then it still does a little. With both springs and the valve cranked down, it took >~25in.Hg to open...can you say compressor surge?

Here's what testing yielded: To keep the valve closed so you don't leak boost with 20psi on the valve, you have to have 23 to 25psi on the actuator. This with either spring. Small spring: 8in.Hg to start opening. Large spring: 15in.Hg to start opening. the opening tests were with no tension being added with the adjusting screw.

IMHO: If you have $200.00 to waste, just send it to me, because this BOV is going to do no good for you.

If you have one and it works for you...good. But the one I bench tested was junk! With the surface area differences like they were between valve and actuator, I fail to see how it would ever work.

YMMV
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a question i had. Some people also say they run double springs and they have no problems.. I also hear that minimum psi for the 2 springs is 21psi.. if i set my MBC to 21psi i wont have compressor surge?

Also, i havent heard of anybody having to change their driving styles to the HKS SSQV on VTA... I know someone that has it and theyve had no problems, and ive watched him drive it. In order to VTA the HKS what do you have to do?
Old Sep 12, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Forge works perfect.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:07 AM
Account Disabled

I've used the Type S with and without the double spring mods and with and without adjusting the tensioner, and found leaving it as Greddy ships them worked out the best for stock turbo cars - have not run one on a larger than stock turbo
Old Sep 13, 2005, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Forge works perfect.
ditto
Old Sep 13, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I just purchased the GFB/Works BOV and it works flawlessly on my 2005 Evo MR. No stalling at all (not even lowered RPM's). I have it set to the recommended Works settings and it sounds super loud with a smooth Whoooooosh sounds. It has a volume control knob on it (which they call a volume knob) It is set aboub 35% VTA and I think it sounds perfect. It has 11 positions on the VTA (volume setting). That allows you to go from full VTA to full recirculate. The installation is a breeze and you can adjust it completely with no hand tools at all.

Only one downside to it. It is one of the highest cost BOV units there is. I think the APS is probably as good, just doesnt have the flexibility of VTA adjustment. It is fixed.

The HKS SSBOV is one of the only valves that in its design makes it impossible to leak. The higher the boost the harder it closes the valve

The stock BOV starts cracking open at 19 to 20 psi. The MR bov starts cracking open at 23 psi. I tested this with a pressure apparatus at home.

I suggest if using the HKS you use a recirc kit (not an evo specific kit, but at least a recirc kit and recirc it back in). It works fine VTA if drag racing, but in normal everyday driving it will cause low RPM drop downs when coming to idle after a throttle blip in a parking lot, or the end of a street coming to a stop sign. Some with cams will even cut off. I know some people say they work fine VTA, but they have learn to drive around the low RPM drop down or stalling issue. You can change your driving style to minmize these problems, if that something you would like to do.

With the GFB that I have, you can drive however you like with no problems. That is at least on a 2005 model.

My $.02.

Brian

APS is not fixed. There is an adjustment screw on the top to control how much gets VTA.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate BOV Thread