Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

F-bodies?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2005, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-bodies?

What do you guys think of the LS1/LT1 F-bodies (Camaro & Firebird)? List the points you like and the points you dont like.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I like F-bodies. I was really close to buying a WS-6 actually. They may not be able to handle like an evo, but there's something about 5.7L of pure power that just makes me smile.

-Power, and resposds well to mods.
-Styling

Dislike
-Traction problems
-Cheap interior

I guess that's the main stuff. Definately some of the cheapest and easier cars to make fast in a straight line.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

good donor car those are, IMO since you asked. Pull out the motor(ls1) and put it in something better, say like a FD. Rest is junk. Unless you like driving a boat.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by en1gma19
I like F-bodies. I was really close to buying a WS-6 actually. They may not be able to handle like an evo,
I dont know about the handleing aspect. Ive left many Evos and STis in my dust on twistie roads. I think people think because its RWD they cant handle, but look at Le mans. Every car (that I know of) there is RWD. I like the way my car handles even in stock form.

What the hell is an FD?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The posts that are the funniest are "It can't handle" and ya know that is very true in a 100% track enviroment. Go through mountain twisties or the occasional on/exit ramp stab will not seperate a WS-6/SS from a EVO.

EVO's handle better, but you will not be driving your car like that on the street. So, will you notice the higher threshold limits of the EVO? No, you won't because you won't be testing the limits of the car going on the freeway, on ramps, back roads etc. The EVO will always feel more tossable just like a miata will be more tossable then a EVO will, but that's all you will notice on the street.

As far as fast yep 6K and you'll be in the 10's if you can drive @130mph.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

I've seen some Camaros on the track tearing it up at Poconos. Out of the crate I have an eclipse from when they first came out in 1990. I preferred it to the F-Bodies, because I thought it was more well rounded. But there's still something to be said for the rumble of an American 8 cyl., especially if you have the money to make it handle.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by importkiller
I dont know about the handleing aspect. Ive left many Evos and STis in my dust on twistie roads. I think people think because its RWD they cant handle, but look at Le mans. Every car (that I know of) there is RWD. I like the way my car handles even in stock form.

What the hell is an FD?
People say they cant handle because stock, they cant. A solid rear axle and a 3600+ lb. curb weight do not make for good turning. Now, put some money into some aftermarket suspension and yes, you can make these cars handle. There's a '92 Camaro who auto-x's locally and he does quite well. Suspension, massive r-comps, and low-RPM torque are killer at autocrosses.

An FD is a 3rd generation RX-7. The LS1 is a popular swap because it puts an awesome engine in a lightweight chasis (2800 lbs.) with excellent handling characteristics.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

My mom's camaro (2002 v6 with 20k miles) handles like pure crap.. I don't know if it has the same setup as the v8, I doubt it.. but my Lancer OZ with eibach's and strut bars tears her camaro up. =/ (in quickness too, lol.. v6 is slow)
Old Aug 24, 2005, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

the 98-02 f-bodies were the best. LS1 is a huge upgrade over the LT1. As far as handling, they handle pretty good, better then most cars on the road, but as stated before a 3600lbs car is always going to feel heavy.

The only thing I really don't like is the horrible interior, pretty much junk. Also the brakes, while well sized, lack adequate ventilation, causing lots of warped rotors.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

yah i definatly take my ralliart's stock handeling over any firebird or camaro or transam or mustang i've ever been in.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

I highly doubt that your lancer could even compare with a late model f-body

I have never driven a ralliart lancer, but I have driven many fwd, awd, and rwd cars and I know there are not many great handling fwd cars out there. And having driven both a Camaro and Trans Am, I can tell you it handles good for a stock car, and much better then any fwd car I have ever driven. The best was fwd car I have driven is a early 90's Subaru Legacy (love those boxer engines).

Last edited by BlingBling3314; Aug 24, 2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

my family has a 2002 V-6 camero. My car is faster and handels better... I think i would know after driving the camero for over a year.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I am talking about LS1 f-bodies, big difference in the performance level.
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Pro's- Big motor, big power, pretty good looks(I like SS's), oh yea....and the LS1

Cons- ****ty rear end, piston slap
Old Aug 24, 2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by wiretap
my Lancer OZ with eibach's and strut bars tears her camaro up. =/ (in quickness too, lol.. v6 is slow)
Well let me take you for a ride and Ill scare the **** out of you, I promise. And I have beaten up on Evos on the track too so you dont have that argument.

Quick Reply: F-bodies?