Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

SMART a process of continual improvement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb SMART a process of continual improvement?

After seeing all these posts of users having problems/questions about the newly fangled SMART System, I’d like to make several lengthy observations and diatribes and give my $0.02…

Where are all the peeps that attended the SMART dyno seminar? Didn't these guys pay to learn how this system works and then have it installed on their own cars? How come none of them are chiming in to help out the fellow forum members (the whole purpose of this site) or is it simply a case of people paying Shiv, being lectured, not paying attention and not playing with the system themselves???

I'm not trying to light a fire under anyone, if anything Vishnu has normally been guilty of advertising products before they were ready for market. It seems there are still some bugs to work out and a need for a consolidated and thorough firmware/XMap/SMART/WB O2 install and more importantly a DIY tuning "algorithm" for users to follow. I remember Shiv stating a while back that a user ***would*** be able to install this system, take some instructions, a base map on an empty road using some 3rd gear pulls and tune this puppy themselves. Apparently this was going to “revolutionize” the tuning world by putting thousands of little Shivs inside every Xede SMART and eliminate having to do a custom dyno tune every time to get the most out of your car. Thus saving us poor Joes some hard earned casheesh.

Briefs well, but so far it seems so confusing that there literally is a need for a thousand Shivs' just to install and get the systems running ($$$), not to mention unlock the Maps so he can tune them (preferably on a dyno $$$) and then give everyone a schooling on what great gee-wiz stuff this bad boy will do ($$$) while nobody comprehends it. Shiv man, I dig what you're trying to do, hell I even ordered a SMART system, but you need a better Business Model. Not to be a wise-*** and only be part of the problem, I'd like to be part of the solution. My two pennies follow:

First I'd recommend a technical writer that knows nothing about cars and show him/her how to install this and then have them write instructions and take pictures. Then take them for a couple road tunes and explain how to adjust an off the shelf map to work within the SMART authority range, and then get that documented too. Next I’d hire a dedicatedl webmaster and put all this information on your website, along with applicable software/firmware files and base maps for different year Evo’s instead of mentioning a hidden link only available on Evom.net. Not everyone who buys your stuff checks the forums everyday, and let’s face it, searching through posts for all pertinent info is a PITA. Then I’d make the website very logical, readable and easy to follow and I’d keep it updated at least weekly with new developments and the latest and greatest electronic enhancements.

Next I’d hire a manager. Someone with real life experience leading 10 or more people and some real business management skills, maybe even some quality control background (more on that later). Hand over day to day operations to that guy, and then make yourself Head of Research and Development. That way you can fully devote yourself to tuning and more carbon monoxide poisoning without having to save enough brain cells to run the core business and your other “marshaling” duties, SCC freelance stuff, et al.

Next I’d swear new products to secrecy until they are already out there; think Skunkworks, but for cars. After strict and controlled testing along with documented metrics and reliability, turn the product over to “quality control” for install and beta testing before worldwide release. I’m not talking Six Sigma Toyota ****-ness, heck, not even ISO certification, just getting all the wrinkles out. Then you can market the release on your website and Evom/Nabisco/Porsche sites simultaneously.

With that all said and done, take your strongest Jedi youth and train him to inhale exhaust fumes and travel all over the county making this **** work. Are you training yourself out of a job? Think not, look at the big picture and the future of you company. Next, sit back and drink your favorite libation on a tropical island with your companion of choice and watch the business grow. That’s just scratching the surface, next I’d look into setting a Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) and a guiding core ideology for your employees to follow. After that I'd work on reducing inventories and increasing productivity and flow.

Now this may seem like a rant, but I’d like to see your business succeed and you can take this consulting free of charge, or you could hire “Two Bobs” and do it Office Space style. Either way I know you’re growing rapidly and have some exciting new products that have the potential to define your market and whoop the competition, if executed properly. Nobody else may echo my sentiment but I’m a degreed Engineer and I’m not sure if I even fully understand how to install this contraption and get it up and running smoothly. I’m not the brightest guy, and I read the forums regularly so I know there are others out there as mystified as me. Nothing follows.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This is quite possibly the best thing I have read on here in a long time. What dude writes makes perfect sense.

I've yet to order the SMART system myself. I've seen two different versions of the SMART install instructions. Even the latest version is a bit difficult to understand and could probably go into more depth. Why can't you guys make a pre-fab'ed XEDE harness with all the various attachments to it? Just simple plug-and-play (plug-and-pray?) is the way to go. Not many here are wiring experts and could run into trouble. Take a look at what Freedom did with his harness. I think you guys should hit him up on some pointers. Hell, see if he wants a job making SMART XEDE harnesses

I do agree that sometimes it feels like some products are in beta form. I think I would rather buy a product that I knew was going to work as describe instead of waiting on promised features. It would do you guys better in the long run and save you a lot of headaches and countless phone calls.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

^ i agree with both of you....
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that Dude has hit the nail on the head. Part of the problem is that Shiv understands all of this so well, it is hard for him to fathom the problems that some of us are having. He can work this in his sleep, but we are for the most part stumbling in the dark trying to figure out how to make it work. Does it work? I have no doubt that it does, and I think that this is the next step in tuning. But we need to know what buttons to push and what wheels to turn in order to get this puppy up to steam.

I too want to see Vishnu thrve and succeed (more so then it already is) but sometimes like Dude said you need to step back from the tree's to see the forest.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

I guess a simple answer to Dude's first issue would be; It's installed and it works so I drive it and enjoy. It doesn't need to be played with once set up.

SMART is there to keep the car out of trouble by dialing back boost, timing, and fuel before the ECU steps in.

Future developments will dial in more boost, timing and fuel off of a base map.

Of course there are thousands of details (including Launch Control/NLS, injection, usage of other sensors etc...), but that's the basic concept that was taught at the seminar. Personally, I'm not interested with which wire goes where.

BTW, the little Shiv's I know are called Chris and Albert (Tuning Technologies). They've got a handle on SMART.

If you are interested in the Road Dyno software, find the posts by Donour.

As far as Shiv's business model is concerned, we've all weighed in with him at one time or another re: his business structure, and many of us have business degrees as well as successful businesses. I think Shiv is living his preferred lifestyle and this is the way he likes his business. If he wants to take it to the next level, he has a reservoir of resources he can reach out to.

SMART Install instructions here: http://www.vishnutuning.com/Smart/getting_started.htm

Last edited by Jaylenospoolboy; Aug 10, 2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

I agree 100% with Dude's post.

l8r)
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here! Here!

Best post on the Vishnu forum yet!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

I agree with most of dude's post. I have been looking into xede for a few weeks and plan on purchasing in sept. with smart. A detailed website with screenshots or downloads would help sell the product, and searching this forum is a pita and shouldn't have to be done prior to spending $1500 on a new product. as far as running shiv's business, that is up to him and if he is happy now, then more power to him, but making the product more user friendly prior to purchasing, or, once installed, easy to read on how to make better would be a welcome improvement.
I think that there is a wealth of information on this forum and a ton of people that want to help, but if I want the answer to a question, I don't want to have to post and then wade through off-topics/worthless advice to find the answer.

just my .02 on what seems to be a great product that is a very welcome alternative to aem.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Ditto on Dude's post, even down to the "I'm a degreed engineer and this is confusing"...

- Steve
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Excellent post dude!

Instead of a "Jedi", Shiv could market Vishnu's products through qualified and respectable Tuner shops to allow both the smaller and larger Evo/DSM communities in the U.S. better access. Call it a network of Xede Tuner's. How long have we been waiting for a "Midwest Dyno Day" sponsered by Shiv for the Xede? There are several shops in middle America that are more than capable of marketing, distributing, and tuning the Xede and it's continual development. Instead of dealing with thousands of people, why not deal with a hand full or two of Suppliers?

Last edited by Silencer; Aug 10, 2005 at 11:06 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Damn, awesome post Dude!! Thank you
Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Hey, I went to the tuning seminar and was still a little confused (no fault of Shiv's, as this was my first experience with the XEDE).

THere has been a firmware update issue, so some of us are only able to have 1 map on our XEDEs as of this moment. Everything else in dude's post, I leave to Shive to answer
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Hey, I went to the tuning seminar and was still a little confused (no fault of Shiv's, as this was my first experience with the XEDE).

THere has been a firmware update issue, so some of us are only able to have 1 map on our XEDEs as of this moment. Everything else in dude's post, I leave to Shive to answer
You can get the dual map program off of the sticky in the Vishnu forum (xcodev302smart_fi...).

However, you have to manually move all of your data over.

In a few weeks, the program will have an import feature so you won't have to manually input it.

Re: launch control. Special wires are on back order. Install instructions are up.

So yeah, Pita if you want these features.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaylenospoolboy
You can get the dual map program off of the sticky in the Vishnu forum (xcodev302smart_fi...).

However, you have to manually move all of your data over.

In a few weeks, the program will have an import feature so you won't have to manually input it.

Re: launch control. Special wires are on back order. Install instructions are up.

So yeah, Pita if you want these features.
Since I've never loaded a map before, or played with any XEDE software, my learning curve is a little steeper than some. I'm sure it will just take sitting down with someone to walk me through things. Hmm, looks like TT time in the near future