Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Forge RS BOV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New Forge RS BOV

Well, a few weeks ago I inquired about the differences between the 1G BOV and the Forge BOV since Forge made a bolt on to my Buschur Upper IC piping. What I wanted was a better valve that would hold boost more consistently and still have the great driveability of the 1G valve. I was on the fence about just purchasing a Forge BOV without even trying it. Well, I inquired to Mike@Forge and he had told me that they had developed a new valve called the Forge RS valve. The new valve was suppose to have made driveability issues go away......ie. fluttering at partial throttle let offs.

ONe nice litter tidbit on this valve is that it's vaccuum source nipple is rotateable 360° making it very nice for tight installation purposes.

So last Wednesday I recieved one of these new valves with a custom 1G flange made just for me . The BOV and optional valve kit comes with everything you could possibly ever want to change the configurations on the valve from either recirculating or VTA. The best thing about this valve is that you are able to adjust spring tension whenever you feel like without taking out the valve and changing springs.

I ran the car in VTA mode for about two days just to see what the driveability was in this mode. The car drove great. The forge unit has a different valve for VTA that makes idling issues virtually non-existent. I have ran other valves in VTA mode and have had the stumbling issues and everything. This valve does not do that. The sound is a nice woosh. Not too loud and annoying.

I have been running the car with it recirculating the most and I love this valve very much. I thought my 1G BOV was the sh*t until I came across this valve. The capability of holding boost is phenomenal. I hadn't realized that my 1G was leaking so bad until I put this new valve on. Boost response in between shifts is great. It seemed as if my 1G would not open and close very fast, making this forge unit exceptional with its quick response time on and off boost.
After driving the car with this valve we come to the driveability of the flutter effect. I have ran alot of different vlaves, and by far this is the best one I have tested. Though there is some slight flutter still at partial throttle let offs. Do not let this deter you. I don't really ever notice it that much if at all sometimes. The flutter is ver minscule.

In my opinion, this Forge RS valve is one of the best that I have ever used.

When ordering this kit you can either just the valve and choose wether or not you want to recirc or VTA or you can order the entire valve kit which will come with everthing to switch inbetween the two modes of operation.

The valve I recieved, is a one off so if you have the Buschur Piping, you would have to get with Mike @Forge to get one that would fit. The normal application is a direct install to factory connections.

Happy Fourth of July

VTA
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMDVRSA

Recirc
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMDVRSR

Entire Valve Kit
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/conte...roduct=FMDVRSK
Attached Thumbnails New Forge RS BOV-100_0635.jpg   New Forge RS BOV-100_0639.jpg   New Forge RS BOV-100_0642.jpg   New Forge RS BOV-100_0638.jpg  

Last edited by scott88vr6; Jul 4, 2005 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice. The VTA option sounds cool. Do u have soundclips or anything like that?

The partial throttle flutter is kind of a let down. I was hoping it got rid of it. The current Forge bov I have has it, although, the stiffest red spring actually makes it more liveable. I will see how it does during track school. Hopefully it won't become too much of an issue. Forge is great though. Quality of the materials is excellent.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Have you ever used an older Forge? If so how does the partial lift flutter compare? That's my only problem with the Forge I have.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zarathustra
Have you ever used an older Forge? If so how does the partial lift flutter compare? That's my only problem with the Forge I have.
I don't have any comparisons between the older forge design and the new one.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
Very nice. The VTA option sounds cool. Do u have soundclips or anything like that?
Sorry, no sound clips.
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

what is the price for this blow off valve?
Old Jul 4, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZoSilverEvo
what is the price for this blow off valve?
$230.00 for the valve either recirc or VTA or $275.00 for the entire valve kit so that you can switch between the two modes.

VTA
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/cont...product=FMDVRSA

Recirc
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/cont...product=FMDVRSR

Entire Valve Kit
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/cont...product=FMDVRSK
Old Jul 4, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

That's a nice BOV, i've got the forge right now on my car and it works perfect. I dunno if thats worth 230-275 bucks tho. I got my forge for 80 bucks, you really can't go wrong.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleet
That's a nice BOV, i've got the forge right now on my car and it works perfect. I dunno if thats worth 230-275 bucks tho. I got my forge for 80 bucks, you really can't go wrong.
You have the new RS valve for 80.00. I haven't seen anyone use that one on here yet?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to let you guys know, Scott has used a Greddy Type-S, HKS, 1G and now the Forge. He has tested a lot of BOV's!

I saw Scott's BOV this weekend. It is the greatest BOV I have ever seen. All the adjustment are easily made with the twist knob on the top of it. If you want it stiffer or looser you just adjust it with your hand, no tools. That's pretty nice. The rotating vacum source nipple is also pretty trick.

What you can't see in the pictures is how massive the thing is. It's almost like a can of soup. But the thing is rock solid. I know the drivability is much better than my Greddy Type-S. Anysort of adjustment, or change (VTA or Recirc) can be had with this valve. It's pretty hard to beat.

Now I want one!
Old Jul 5, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

This may be the one for me to get. Good info
Old Jul 5, 2005, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
To hook up in the stock location, which mm size do you order?
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Wow!

Glad to see a positive response to this!

We have tested this valve very extensively ourselves and have been incredibly pleased with the results.

If required, I'll answer any more specific questions about the valve, our test results with it, and my personal experience with it on my own Evo.

rsboy
As far as sound clips are concerned, when setup as a recirc. valve, it should not be any louder than stock due to the fact that it recirculates.

As an atmospheric valve, it produces a very noticeable whoosh sound with no squeeks, honks, nor tones. I will try to get a sound clip soon.

Zarathustra
Due to significant changes in this valve's design in comparison to the older Evo valve, all areas of performance, operation, and driveability are improved.

There may still be some very slight part throttle fluttering, but it, in no way, affects the driveability of the car as experienced with the older valve.

I have used this valve for over 5 months on my own '05 GSR with NO issues at all. No fluttering, no stalling when used atmospherically, and no compressor surging from the valve adjustment.

jid2
We appreciate your comments on the valve.

Yes, it's big, and we are designing the weld-on and flange adapters to help in the overall size of the valve, but it fits on the Evo's with no problems in the stock location (hose connections). It comes a little close to the opening in the fan shroud, but as long as discretion in used when adjusting the valve (ie: shutting of the car before sticking your hands in there) all should be well.

atlvalet
The valve needs to be equipped with 34mm inlet/oulet ports to fit into the stock location. It will require a 34mm blanking plug for atmospheric configurations. (all of which is included)

The valve includes all necessary port sizes and blanking plugs for numerous applications when purchased in Kit form. If you sell your Evo and buy a VW 1.8T (heaven forbid, right?) you can used the supplied 25mm inlet/outlet ports instead of buying an all new valve.

Quick Reply: New Forge RS BOV