Notices
Vishnu Performance - California [Visit Site]

How To: Update Firmware with existing harness wire!

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2005, 12:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Update Firmware with existing harness wire!

Want to update your firmware, but dont want to wait for a wire? As it just so happens, there is an unused wire in the xede harness that can be used for firmware updating, wiring in a remote LED, Water spray output, so on and so on. Below are the instructions on how to remove the wire, and use it.

Step 1:

Locate the purple wire on the grey connector. It will be the only purple wire, pin 10 on the grey harness. Here is the wire, it is the third one in from the left hand side. It may have a red stripe or white strip on it as well...

Step 2: Remove the orange connector from the bottom of the grey harness. Simply pull straight out with a set of pliers.

Step 3: Slightly push back the tab on the inside of the connector while gently pulling out the wire. The wire will slide right out.

Step 4: Cut the purple wire. .....and i would normally use wire cutters, but I did this at school, and i didnt have anything else.

Note: The following instructions are for placing the wire in the firmware update pin.

Step 5: Remove orange piece from the black connector, and push the wire into pin 9. Once the wire is in, reinsert both orange connectors, and you are ready to go!

Last edited by Dustin@Vishnu; May 11, 2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um...Where does that the other end of the purple wire (before being cut) go? Does it just end in the harness snake?

d
Old May 11, 2005, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

It is a MAP sensor input. The xede does not use map the map sensor readings. Also, the stock map sensor is somewhat useless, since it goes static after 1 bar. So, you can either tape it up after cutting it, or just tuck it back into the black sheath.

Last edited by Dustin@Vishnu; May 11, 2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Your finger nails are soo well groomed... Have you thought about hand modeling?
Old May 19, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Calvin@Vishnu
Your finger nails are soo well groomed... Have you thought about hand modeling?
Old Sep 10, 2005, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Please Help!

ok, sorry I am so slow here, but I still cannot visualize what your doin with the purple wire here. Ok, 1)pull the purple wire OUT of the grey harness, I got that. Now once it's out, we cut it? How far down? Once it's cut which part of the purple wire are you sticking into the black connector? The small pin-terminated cut-off piece and if so, where does the other end go? If it's the part of the wire coming from the harness, why cut it, why not just insert it into the black plug as if it was in the grey plug..man o man...I'm so confused here...

I wish I was smart....lol...
Old Sep 10, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aresix6
ok, sorry I am so slow here, but I still cannot visualize what your doin with the purple wire here. Ok, 1)pull the purple wire OUT of the grey harness, I got that. Now once it's out, we cut it? How far down? Once it's cut which part of the purple wire are you sticking into the black connector? The small pin-terminated cut-off piece and if so, where does the other end go? If it's the part of the wire coming from the harness, why cut it, why not just insert it into the black plug as if it was in the grey plug..man o man...I'm so confused here...

I wish I was smart....lol...

So, remove the purple wire from the gray connector.

Cut the pin-connector end off of the purple wire, about 6 inches up. you basically turn this into a short wire with the pin on the end.

the rest of the purple wire going to the harness does nothing. not used. tape it off.

The short piece you just cut goes into the black connector as described.

What isnt shown in this how-to is what to do next to update the firmware. you connect the end of that short piece of purple wire coming out of the black connector to a 12v power supply in the car. cig lighter, battery, etc. then when you turn on the car, this puts the XEDE into boot mode, which allows you to upload the firmware. when done, disconnect the 12v power from the purple wire, and remove it from the black connector. its no longer needed. (unless you are using SMART, you will reuse this wire for something else).

check out these instructions for more info on the firmware update also: http://www.vishnutuning.com/Smart/getting_started.htm
Old Sep 10, 2005, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Many Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

after this am i v3 ready or is there something more that i need to do
Old Mar 16, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

So lets just say you already cut the purple wire and screwed it up, is there any other wire that could be used?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Dustin: After you installed the SMART upgrade, I noticed that you soldered the purple wire back into the harness. Is there a reason for that or can I just leave the wire disconnected after I do the firmware update?
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:04 PM
Former Sponsor

With a smart install, the purple wire is reused, check our website instructions for details.