Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MBC Install Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2004, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBC Install Help Needed

Ok so I'm trying to install the hallman MBC I just got but I'm kinda confused on what lines to tap/plug/cut whatever. So here's some pics, help me out

in this first pic is the wastegate the white circle on the left is the line that I need to tap into correct? It T's off and one goes down towards the turbo and the other goes to here

now, if i'm reading correctly, I need to take that whole line off including both pieces that T off, I'll then take one line and run it from the wastegate into the wastegate input on the mbc and then I take another line and run it.. and this is where I'm not sure what to do. Also, since there will be 2 spots left after I run the first line, I'm assuming i need to somehow cap off the other non used line now?

This is where I have my MBC mounted, is that a good spot?

Thanks for all the help. And I hope it makes some sense.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

Im in the process of installing the Hallman MBC tom. My friend is coming ove to help with install so I will let you know how it goes. But for the meantime any help or info on this matter would be nice
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blink2824
Im in the process of installing the Hallman MBC tom. My friend is coming ove to help with install so I will let you know how it goes. But for the meantime any help or info on this matter would be nice
ok well here's what I did.

Took the hose line that runs from the factory wastegate to the boost solenoid off
Took the line that ran from the turbo outlet into a T that was connected to the factory wastegate line off

I capped the boost solenoid end that I pulled the hose off in step 1.

I ran a line from the turbo outlet into the MBC
I ran a line from the wastegate outlet into the wastegate in on the MBC.

The only thing I did not do was to take the hose that runs from the intake to the boost solenoid off because I didn't have enough caps to cap off both the intake nipple and the boost solenoid nipple.

Went out and tested the car and with the dial turned all the way to the left was maxing out at 11psi, the played with the dial turning it almost all the way to the right and still maxed out at 11psi in every gear. I'm not sure if the one line I did not cap off is affecting this or what. I may try to redo the wiring a different way tomorow once I can run up to the parts store and get more caps.
Old Dec 14, 2004, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

mattfl - seems like you did it right
just to double check, as im sure you know from the directions, the nipple opposite the knob is from the compressor (turbo) and the nipple down is to the wastegate.

you can leave the line from the stock solenoid to the intake without problem.

did you get rid of the stock lines and reroute new lines from the compressor to mbc and from mbc to wastegate?

also, did you clamp the hoses down at all nipples?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tokeone
mattfl - seems like you did it right
just to double check, as im sure you know from the directions, the nipple opposite the knob is from the compressor (turbo) and the nipple down is to the wastegate.

you can leave the line from the stock solenoid to the intake without problem.

did you get rid of the stock lines and reroute new lines from the compressor to mbc and from mbc to wastegate?

also, did you clamp the hoses down at all nipples?
ya everything is clamped down, i did double check something i read in another post

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...71&postcount=5

and i found that i did get rid of the line with the pill in it, I added that line back and now it'll boost up to 15psi but thats it..maybe i should try the heavy spring in it? I
Old Dec 14, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

^^ You're only able to boost 15PSI with your MBC?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, this time i tried the setup someone posted a while ago with suggestion that looks like this

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...chmentid=21291

i can still only get it to boost around 12psi or so...with the above setup, do i still need to add the hose back that had the little pill inside of it?
Old Dec 14, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I need the same info but with the Buschur MBC! Anyone care to show us the light?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Bump, does anyone think I should try the heavy spring? How difficult is it to take the hallman mbc apart to put that spring in?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

I would try the heavy spring. From what Ive read you need the heavy one in the evo. I am getting ready to install mine sometime in the next week, so this is very helpful. I am just going to go straight with the heavy one.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I installed the Hallman MBC over a month ago and it holds boost at 21 PSI all the way to redline.

1. Disconnect the hose fromthe Turbo (this is the one that comes off the factory T line),
2. Disconnect the hose from the Wastgate (item on the left in your first picture).
3. Use the hose that came with your MBC. Cut two new pieces to attach to the Turbo and Wastgate.
4. Connect the hose from the Turbo to the bottom nipple on your MBC.
5. Connect the hose from the Wastgate to the nipple on the side of your MBC.
6. Cap off the hose from your intake and the two nipples on your Boost Solenoid. Make sure you leave your Boost Solenoid pluged into the electrical plug.

I only had caps for the two nipples on the Boost Solenoid so I placed a screw into the Intake hose and zip tied it. I then zip tied the old hoses to the intercooler piping so they will be there to return my car to stock when I take it in for service.

I hope that helps.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by my3000gt
I installed the Hallman MBC over a month ago and it holds boost at 21 PSI all the way to redline.

1. Disconnect the hose fromthe Turbo (this is the one that comes off the factory T line),
2. Disconnect the hose from the Wastgate (item on the left in your first picture).
3. Use the hose that came with your MBC. Cut two new pieces to attach to the Turbo and Wastgate.
4. Connect the hose from the Turbo to the bottom nipple on your MBC.
5. Connect the hose from the Wastgate to the nipple on the side of your MBC.
6. Cap off the hose from your intake and the two nipples on your Boost Solenoid. Make sure you leave your Boost Solenoid pluged into the electrical plug.

I only had caps for the two nipples on the Boost Solenoid so I placed a screw into the Intake hose and zip tied it. I then zip tied the old hoses to the intercooler piping so they will be there to return my car to stock when I take it in for service.

I hope that helps.
Did you reuse the small piece of hose that came off the turbo into the T? There is a pill in there apparently that does something with the boost, i mentioned it in an earlier post here. Did you go with the heavy spring? I had this setup initially and could only get it to boost to 10-12psi even with the thing almost all the way open. Also, how "open" is your hallman? Like how much did you turn it initially?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure that you leave your solenoid plugged in.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

No I did not reuse the hose due to the pill and it was too short for where I wanted to mount the MBC. Use a new hose and that should solve your problem.

It took me about seven pulls to dial in the MBC to the correct setting. I really don't know how many turns it took but it does feel like it is almost maxed out.

Last edited by my3000gt; Dec 15, 2004 at 07:35 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AUSS1E
I would try the heavy spring. From what Ive read you need the heavy one in the evo. I am getting ready to install mine sometime in the next week, so this is very helpful. I am just going to go straight with the heavy one.
NO! I have the same install as MY3000GT and hold 21psi all day. I only took the unit out of the box and installed it, no spring changes.

Quick Reply: MBC Install Help Needed