Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Racing dyno thread.....new developments.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing dyno thread.....new developments.

I am going to use this thread to do some posting over the next few weeks. So keep checking back here and on our own website for actual dyno sheets and such to get updated.

Here's what's going on in our world.

We dyno'd our '03 EVO when it was brand new, think 400 and some miles on it. Car was bone stock, 2wd dynojet. The car made 256 whp stock. Everyone cried and moaned that those numbers were too high, dynojets lie, we used a 2wd etc., etc.

The point of this topic is not to brag how much power we are making or going to make. The point is to take another bone stock EVO, our new RS, start over again and dyno every single part we make.

Today we started out with the car, bone stock as I said. Converted to 2wd on our 2wd dynojet. (DO NOT ASK WHAT TYPE OF DYNO OR EVEN DISCUSS 2WD VS. AWD DYNOS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!!! IT IS POINTLESS, WE ARE TALKING BASELINES AND GAINS ONLY)

Bone stock the very first pass with the engine cold the car made 207 whp. Yes, that's right, 207 whp. I was like WTF?! So I ran it again and it jumped into the 220's and then once it was at full operating tempurature it leveled off for two runs at 237 whp. WOW! That's down 19 whp from our other EVO both bone stock. Now we are getting somewhere on all the past arguement. Tempuratures in the dyno room are close enough to last year that that is not it, the difference is the stinking cars. Both had 94 octane in them from this same local Sunoco station too. The difference is the CAR. Also, I can see how some other shops are showing some crazy gains, had I wanted to be dishonest here I would have used the 207 or even the 220 whp pulls the car did before it was warmed up. Not doing that, that's not how we play here.

First modification was the BR air filter kit. Just filter, no MAS pipe. Car gained as much as 7 whp. The dyno charts are very rough as you will see on our site when we post them. The gains were across the entire range on and off through the roughness. $80.

Next modification was the boost control and a boost gauge. Turned it up to 20 psi, no fuel management, just turned up the boost. HP was as high as 273 whp BUT the boost was way to high and it did this while I was getting it set. With the boost set stable to 20 psi it was 252 whp. 15 WHP gain here. I was expecting more to be honest. Gauge and pod is $85, boost controller is $75.

Next mod is our 2.5" axle back muffler. This is just the muffler section, stock downpipe, cat and cat back pipe in place. I was SHOCKED at this one. Another 15 whp gain. I am still shocked, another $260 spent. This is where the car is right now. Total retail cost is at this point is $500. That's $16.66 per horsepower gained. Not to freaking shabby.

I am going back out to add the 2.5" downpipe to the system. Hoping to get it dyno'd today. I'm pretty excited about all this. The downpipe is going to retain the stock cat, catback pipe and use the axle back muffler. What I am doing is working towards our complete Economy Stage Package, which retails for $995 and includes the above plus an AFC or a reflash.

Good things to come, stand by....

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea, Dave! I'll be watching as you go thru the process. I wish everyone would do this. Great way to find out what part gives you what increase in performance against how much $.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

well...just a note....

a few months ago we had a dyno day at wasabi racing in dallas TX.....

and a bone stock 05 evo made 251 awhp... on a awd dyno....now just to compare my 03 Evo when new and stock only made 180awhp because of a faulty MAF....

all cars are different..

David Buschur....your a respected tuner....that has a proven race history ....so ofcourse people are going to try and discredit you....but reality is reality....these cars are great platforms....

now please give me a turbo kit so i can hitt 200 MPH!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Whoosh
Great idea, Dave! I'll be watching as you go thru the process. I wish everyone would do this. Great way to find out what part gives you what increase in performance against how much $.
damn it BOB stop kissing aZZ thats what i am trying to do!...go work or something...ha!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

This is great!! This is exactly the type of testing and write up that I think people are looking for! Simply take a base line WHP...add the part in question...get new WHP...then tell us how much the part costs...(as the Guinness comercial says "BRILLIANT" )

I will be sure to keep checking back on your progress.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:03 PM

Keep up the good work Dave! Just wanna get subscribed to the thread so I can get the updates!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

This is gonna be interesting. Impressive for the few dollars with the gains.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly the kind of information many users on this board want to see. Good job Dave. BTW.... just out of curiousity, I have your 3" turbo back with HF cat and was wondering how much power i could expect to get with your test pipe. I currently have WORKS P2 flash and your exhaust and I'm putting down 269whp on dynojet and i'd like to get some more.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Dave,

On the dyno the ECU needs to learn. The first pull will always show lower numbers. At least three pulls are need for the ECU to learn for max performance. I went to dyno my car well over a year ago to get a base line idea and on a 4wheel dyno jet I made 195 my fist pull. After the 3rd i was at 231 and change, nothing was changed on my car. Car was bone stock.

Eric
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by caymandiver75
Exactly the kind of information many users on this board want to see. Good job Dave. BTW.... just out of curiousity, I have your 3" turbo back with HF cat and was wondering how much power i could expect to get with your test pipe. I currently have WORKS P2 flash and your exhaust and I'm putting down 269whp on dynojet and i'd like to get some more.
I know I am not Dave but I remember reading him reply to a post I was reading about the same subject and I *believe* the answer was around 15hp. Hope it helps .....I am running the 3" with test pipe and love it.....no CEL, not too loud, and makes great power!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
O.K. Got the downpipe on. Made the boost go freaking crazy so it took a few runs to get it turned back down to where it was.

The spool up is improved more than anything and on the way up it makes 7 more whp than with the stock downpipe. Peak numbers are only up 3.3 whp. The extra spool up and low end power is going to get the car moving quicker.

Next, putting in an offroad pipe in place of the stock cat and see what happens.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Did I read this right David....?

You made 256 whp (2WD converted) with an 03
and 237whp (2WD converted) on an 05 RS and all things you tried to keep equal

My question is what is wrong with the 05?....Surely I am not the only one questioning this result?...this does not sound like a car to car variance to me
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

David, a nice thing to do with this would be to continue with the 2.5" stuff, do all base stuff, then go to 3" stuff, then do other things, so you could show a progression of all of your parts. You might consider evaluating which parts to do first, second, etc, and keep in mind the scca rules for the evo for on line of parts, such as if you do cat back exhaust, you get x horsepower to stay in stock class. Then to move to esp, you do x,y, z and this is what you can get, then do a full out sm class, and bill it as the autox packages.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
O.K. Got the downpipe on. Made the boost go freaking crazy so it took a few runs to get it turned back down to where it was.

The spool up is improved more than anything and on the way up it makes 7 more whp than with the stock downpipe. Peak numbers are only up 3.3 whp. The extra spool up and low end power is going to get the car moving quicker.

Next, putting in an offroad pipe in place of the stock cat and see what happens.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Finally, I get to Dyno my car by "Proxy."

So:

Air Intake
MBC@20 psi
2.5" muffler delete pipe
2.5" down pipe

makes about 275fwhp. Is that about 260-270 awhp? Test Pipe should make another 15awhp. Tuning for air/fuel will make over 300awhp. Woohoo...
4-BNRG
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
Did I read this right David....?

You made 256 whp (2WD converted) with an 03
and 237whp (2WD converted) on an 05 RS and all things you tried to keep equal

My question is what is wrong with the 05?....Surely I am not the only one questioning this result?...this does not sound like a car to car variance to me
All the haters always thought Dave was inflating his figures with the 03 EVO somehow. I think this shows he had a factory freak in the 03.... not a defective car in the 04

Keith

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing dyno thread.....new developments.