Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Should the EVO be part of the DSM community/events?
Yes, Evo is similar to DSM and would be a great addition to community and events
48.96%
No, Evo is too different and should get their own events.
51.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Should the Evo be considered a DSM

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2002, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should the Evo be considered a DSM

Before everyone jumps down my throat on the technical definition of a DSM (which I know), I just want to see if people think that EVO's should participate in DSM events and online forums etc.
Should the EVO's be part of the DSM shootout, DSMTalk, etc?

As a DSM owner, I feel an EVO is within the spirit of the community and would like to have owners be part. Without this infusion the DSM stuff will eventually die down too, since otherwise the newest ones are already 4 years old.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No. It's not built at the Diamond Star Motors plant in Normal, IL.

It doesn't have a "D" type chassis it has a "C" type like our lancers and Mirages. I've heard Lancers and Mirage referred to as CSMs before, so I assume that's what the Evolution would be if anything.

EDIT: All this despite it being far closer to the GSX DSM's available in the states than any other "C" chassis Mitsubishi.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
No. It's not built at the Diamond Star Motors plant in Normal, IL.

It doesn't have a "D" type chassis it has a "C" type like our lancers and Mirages. I've heard Lancers and Mirage referred to as CSMs before, so I assume that's what the Evolution would be if anything.

EDIT: All this despite it being far closer to the GSX DSM's available in the states than any other "C" chassis Mitsubishi.
The Galant VR-4 is considered a DSM eventhough it is built in Japan. The reason is its similarity (in fact it was the original of that platform with an 89 version).
The 3si takes part in the shootout though they are usually separate otherwise.

The point is that the Evo is very similar, and the same knowledge can be applied eventhough the DSM parts wont just bolt on. It would be more exciting to have a new school / old school type of thing rather than going their separate ways (IMHO)

This same topic came up on the 3G eclipse, but they really don't share much in common with the turbo DSM, so they really went a different route. The Evo really gets back in line since its the same basic engine.

Last edited by TearItUpSports; Dec 23, 2002 at 09:10 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:08 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

I think the Evo shares a common bond with DSMs and I would definately relate to them. I would never feel above a DSM and I feel a lot of the mod paths and concepts will be passed on to the Evo. Engine wise, I think there will be a lot of information sharing. I guess we'll all just evolve from "DSM" to "4G63"

Mark
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

yes!!! Why? cause the DSM community will die otherwise. Our cars are starting to get old. You'll start seeing less and less of them. It's the closest thing to the DSM...all the other mitsu cars are N/A...sold here in america anyway. I vote a very loud yes just for that reason. I don't want to see the DSM community die. All the magazines that do articles on DSMs as in this months sport compact car...give us props for the way we view are cars....and how true we are to them...and how most of us are not ricers and how we like to keep that sleeper look. I have owned a DSM for 5 years...and I DON'T want to see it die...

all that don't vote yes!

Last edited by favre95; Dec 23, 2002 at 09:11 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Hm, hadn't thought about the VR4. Good call.

I still stand by my vote though. I'd just pull the VR4 out of the DSM category too. Otherwise it seems like any sedan running a 4g63t would fall into the DSM category.

EDIT: Great thread btw.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:10 PM
KK
EvoM Administrator

Maybe we should have a EJ20 vs 4G63 battle I was planning on setting up an Evo vs Sti battle once the cars were here and settled... autox/time trial, drag races, and a car show... now that would be a blast

Mark
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by KK
Maybe we should have a EJ20 vs 4G63 battle I was planning on setting up an Evo vs Sti battle once the cars were here and settled... autox/time trial, drag races, and a car show... now that would be a blast

Mark
Thats a great idea, though I think I will have a mini one everytime I go to an autocross this year

I would like to participate in the shootout though, since I have an attachment to the event, but I don't want to be shunned.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 09:40 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the evo would be a great halo car for all the DSM and all mitsu cars alike.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 10:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

See, my beef is with the technicalities. I agree on the performance issue. It's like the platform for all DSMs (for lack of better phrasing). I think the term DSM may become all but lost and either replaced by (like what Mark said) 4g63 title. All you'd be losing would be the name anyway. The cars are too powerful, tunable and popular to be phased out over such a petty thing. Regardless of how they're classified there's a lot of similarities and a lot of differences between our DSMs and the Evolution.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Technically: No.

However, you guys brought up a lot of good points and I think they should be closely related to DSMs
Old Dec 24, 2002, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

aren't the OZs not dsm? they are like 97% assembled in japan, i'm not sure exactly what you guys are talking about though, you mean the older mitsus made in us?
Old Dec 24, 2002, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

Lancer's can't be DSM's (and I'm sure they don't mind) since they don't share the D chassis designation. Like Andrew said, CSM power all the way (or lack there of...).
Old Dec 24, 2002, 05:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pjal84
Like Andrew said, CSM power all the way (or lack there of...).
Very funny and very true.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the EVO should be included in the DSM community. The main reason the DSM's are so popular are because of the 4G63T engine. All the others come along for the ride because of technicalities. But that is of course, because of where they are built, not just what's under the hood. The 2G 420A guys get included as well as the 1G 4G63 N/A people.

Cars that get left out even though they are produced at the same plant:
3G Eclipses.
7-8G Galants
Endeavors.
Dodge Avengers/Stratus Coupes, Chrysler Sebrings.

Even though Chrysler's interest in the plant was bought out around '96-97 (My car does not have a DSM sticker) on our order sheets, the point of entry for Galants, Eclipses, and Endeavors is still "DSM." Old habits die hard.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 29, 2002 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Should the Evo be considered a DSM