Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Carbon Fiber Wing again...please, read if you own a evo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2003, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Wing again...please, read if you own a evo

Called the dealer on the issue with my wing.....There is a chance that I may have to meet with a regional rep on this issue of the bubbling in my wing. If someone did not see my last post. I am getting small bubbling under the clear in my wing, but above the actual carbon fiber. These bubbles have a slight greenish yellow tint to them. They are mostly the size of a bubble of carbonation in a soda. They are mostly forming at the corners of the intersections of the carbon fiber in a 3" by 10" area in the center of the wing.

What I am asking you people is if you own an EVO and are not having this problem could you write in a post your name(just first name will be good) where you live and how long you have had your evo(or date you bought it). I am hoping to get a bunch of poeple together to show that this is not a widespread problem and it is limited to me. Then print this out and take it to him. Cause I have a feeling he is going to say that it is a characteristic of carbon fiber.

If you could, could you scan the whole wing over under direct sunlight. Look at it from all different angles...please....cause you may not know you have them iy you do not do this. This wing is a 1000 dollar wing so the dealer may have trouble just forking this over to me. So, again, I want proof this is not a widespread problem. Thanks for your help everyone!
Old Apr 2, 2003, 03:56 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

Carbon Fiber Wing Imperfections

Sorry Favre95 but I too have an area of bubbling and discoloration on a section about 2" x 3". Purchased car on 28 March and now have 275 miles. Have not been back to dealer about this yet but will highlight the problem at the first service.

jfh

Apex Silver, A00
Old Apr 2, 2003, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Ok.....if there is anyone else...could you please tell...thanks!...oh...if I may ask wher eon the wing is this located?...thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

I also have a small area of about 2" x 2" of the same on my wing. I have not been in to talk to the dealer yet. I will this Sat when I pick up a few oil filters.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 05:21 PM
Evolving Member

Isolated or not they need to replace it. Paying 1k for a wing should mean it has no bubbles in the epoxy. Like I said before that a manufacturing error and a bad one at that.

P.S. I went out and look at my wing I don't see any such bubbles on mine.

Last edited by eternal9; Apr 2, 2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 08:51 PM

can you feel the bubbling through the clear, or only see it?
Old Apr 2, 2003, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

if anyone is selling or getting rid of their bubble riddin wings ill buy!
Old Apr 2, 2003, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I have no bubbles or discoloration in my carbon fiber wing. My dealer payed particular attention to this because he said they were told by Mitsu to watch for bubbles under the gel coat. Remember each one of these wings is hand made. Although it may take some time to get another wing in, I suggest you push the issue and have them replace it under warranty as a manufactured defect. Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

I just picked up my tarmac on April fools day (yesterday) didn't see any bubbles
Old Apr 2, 2003, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

No bubbles in my wing. Picked my EVO up on March 13. I live in the St.Louis area and purchased the car from Lou Fusz Mitsubishi in St.Peters Mo.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

No bubbles in my wing or discoloration. The cf is very smooth and the pattern of the cf cloth is consistent. I bought my Evo on 21 March.

The bubbling is caused by poor manufacturing controls. The bubbles should have been allowed to lift through the epoxy clear coat before they dried it...They were likely trying to rush the process to meet demand.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Apr 3, 2003 at 08:31 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

I will check mine tonight when I get home and edit this with a followup. My silver EVO was purchased 3/24.

Edit: A little late here but I polished the wing today and applied some UV protectant. Fortunately I didn't see any bubbling in the resin.

Good Luck

Last edited by wkehn; Apr 6, 2003 at 08:10 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Purchased my yellow EVO on March 11th... No bubbling at all in the HOT HOT south Florida sun.....
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure all that buy new evo's go to your auto parts store and purchase some UV type polish and coat your wing. The sun will start to discolor the carbon fiber. It says so on the the owners manual. I picked up a bottle of turtle UV spray good for dashes, vynel etc...
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

I can only see it...but it is very bad....it's not like a bubble here or a bubble there....it is like 30 of them...it is really bad...and yes I put the uv wax on them...2 coats to be exact the day after I bought it.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Wing again...please, read if you own a evo