Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Rule when having EVO mechanical problems

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Rule when having EVO mechanical problems

There has been an abundance of posts here by "newbies" about their EVOs breaking, transmission problems etc. that most of us do not experience.

I am not going to say anything on my suspicions on whose starting these rumors, but I think this is bringing unnecessary discredit to our EVOs and Mitsubishi.

I think it should only be fair that all of these mechanical problems must be accompanied by pictures, dealership names, etc. that would substantiate these claims.

Some cars do get problems, but a lot of us abuse our EVOs as well.

You guys with me?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 06:34 AM

I am with you other then pictures, and dealers will not substantiate abuse, which I believe accounts for the majority of the “real” issues...
Old Jan 24, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

You know what - who cares what they say? I used to be paranoid that my Evo would drop the tranny, burn the clutch, explode the head gasket, etc. etc. etc. until I realized, "Hey, this thing is built like a tank". No worries.

As for devaluing the Evo, look at it this way: Let the Evo's value go down for a few years, but a second one really cheap and stash it. Then when no more Evos come, you have a low-mileage original and you can take it to Barrett-Jackson in 10 years for $50,000... This might not come to fruition, but then you'll have an Evo you paid $15,000 for and can thrash the crap out of it on a racetrack.

Don't worry about the whiners here - if you do, you'll be overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of them.

Old Jan 24, 2004, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

I'm with him ^^^^^^^
Old Jan 24, 2004, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I belive Some cars they do have problem with something - BUT THE DEALER SHOULD FIX IT! iam thinking meybe THEY DONT KNOW JACK ****!!!! about evo's thats why - meybe they hire special mechanic!! EVO CERTIFIED ! MY ***! they watch the videos and some other **** - we need real mechanics for our evos here - which will say no problem - we will fix it - you got warranty - I GOT TOLD by salesman IF SAME PART Brakes 3 times? I GET NEW CAR -= AHAHHA I Would love to see that.....
Old Jan 24, 2004, 12:50 PM

Not really feeling the idea too much. Most people post their problems here because they want to find out what is wrong with their new car and if ne one else experienced the same problems, not to discredit or soil the holy EVO name . And often times they are newbies cuz they just got the car and probably don't know all the going ons of the evo, so they join a forum to find out.

Of all the automotive forums I go to including srtforums, bimmerforums, nasioc, etc; I've never seen so many peeps get flamed for asking for help trying to resolve their car troubles. Maybe instead of chewing someone out for have a problem with their car trying to help would be nice. Furthermore, if your car is trouble free then good for you, but not all cars come off the factory line perfect.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure why this should be stickied. Anyone who reads a thread about a catastrophic failure can usually read between the lines and understand whether that failure was likely caused by abuse or not.

Evo's will have problems. It's just a fact. It's a mechanical object and it'll eventually break. Recording how/when the car breaks will have no effect on the cars value. If nothing else, it'll give prospective buyers a realistic view regarding how the car might react to their driving habits/style.

SC~
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

I don't really get the "stop complaining about your Evo!" attitude. What are you worried about? The BMW X5 had tons of real problems in its first year and was one of Consumer Reports' least reliable cars. Yet BMW still sold 40k of them in 2002 and 2003 (if anything the lack of a 3rd row seat hurt more than any recalls).

No doubt the 2004 Evos will benefit from the issues that our 2003s encountered. Maybe even the sales training material will be revised so dealers make potential buyers keenly aware of the issues with clutches and AWD drivetrains, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ez76
The BMW X5 had tons of real problems in its first year and was one of Consumer Reports' least reliable cars.

No doubt the 2004 Evos will benefit from the issues that our 2003s encountered.
The '03 Evo isn't a 1st or even 2nd generation car. Just for the record I've had zero issues with mine.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:49 PM

Location: West Texas, where the roads are straight and long, and the law is few and far between
Originally posted by mikec

The '03 Evo isn't a 1st or even 2nd generation car. Just for the record I've had zero issues with mine.
exactly!...this car (the mechanicals, anyway) have been getting produced and sold for years now around the world...we're just lucky that Subaru stepped up and started importing the WRX, the success of which was the primary impetus for Mitsu finally bringing the mighty Evo into the U.S.

in fact, without the active center diff and the SAYC, the American 8's are, if anything, more simple than the rest-of-the-world cars...

not to mention the fact that with the FQ300 and FQ330 being sold, the same basic car is being produced to make upwards of 330bhp and 315lb-ft from the factory, with NO internal engine mods or changes to clutches and chassis whatsoever....I have seen virtually no complaints in the Brit mags or forums...

the car is fairly bulletproof, not to say that people aren't having issues....but I'd be willing to wager that MOST serious issues are the result of the cars being hammered unmercifully by people that expect too much or just plain don't know how to drive...please note, I said "most," not "all".....
Old Jan 25, 2004, 06:30 AM
choad

You have to "carefully" beat on the car if you want to do some serious sporty driving..

I guess this means you have to know how to drive ..

Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
M3 and colateralgees: i fully agree, i got almost 6000 and still stock clutch, lets see for how long this clutch will hold.. I dont baby the car and i dont abuse either. I cant imagine how you can breake the clutch in 5000 miles. the only thing iam guessing people let it go from 5000 rpms thinking it will hold = sure it will but after 50 times that clutch goes - bye bye. -
Old Jan 25, 2004, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

On the issue of the 03 eve being a 1st generation car, it is. The USDM evo has a different driveline than other Evos, since it doesn't have the ACD. The US version has changes that make it what it is. Those changes tell me it is the first generation of it's kind. That's why the Cusco diffs don't work with the USDM evo and many are trying to get enough people together to have ones built for the USDM evo...
Old Jan 25, 2004, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
On the issue of the 03 eve being a 1st generation car, it is. The USDM evo has a different driveline than other Evos, since it doesn't have the ACD.
Ah, no. The US market Evo also has reinforced bumpers but that doesn't make it a 1st generation car either.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

If you can't ask other people in the forum about some problem you're having, what are we here for then? This forum is a resource for people who drive the car, not for people looking to do quantitative research on reliability. I say to you newbies, let your questions flow!
JUST BE SURE TO SEARCH FIRST!!!

Quick Reply: New Rule when having EVO mechanical problems