Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA

Their customer service is unimaginably bad. If you get a bad part from them you are S.O.L. their policy is no return no mater what. You can send it back for repair or replacement and if they can't easily fix it, you are out of luck.

I want everyone to know so you won't get burned like I did. I am going to join every car forum that JIC sells products for and let the world know.

If you are interested, here it what happened:

I bought a JIC-Magic FLTA2 coilover suspension kit for my 2002 Acura RSX last June. The front left strut would not stay tight and back out every couple days. After several phone calls, e-mails, and digital photo's to Ben at JIC USA he finally agreed to send me a USED replacement locknut. Getting the replacement locknut was like pulling teeth. I had to pull the entire strut off, disassemble it and have the car re-aligned in order to replace the lock nut.

The strut would still not stay tight so I tried using Lock-Tite Blue. After that failed, Ben asked that I pull the strut off again and send it to them after the Sema trade show. I waited and called right before shipping it FedEx to expedite the process and make sure they could get right on it. Along with the parts I included a letter suggesting the problem appeared to be too much free play between the strut and the lower bracket and that thin locknut could not hold it tight.

After JIC USA received the parts and sat on it for two weeks Ben told me they had fixed it by surfacing the top of the lower bracket so the locknut would seat better. I told him that I was concerned that, that alone would not fix it and if he sent it back to me and it was still loosening up I would be furious and was going to expect a full refund and reimbursement for the three alignments, the shipping, and all the labor. He said we would talk about that later. Three weeks after shipping it to them, I got the parts back.

While installing the “repaired” left strut, I checked the right side. The locknut seemed tight by hand, but when I rocked the wheel I felt it move. I could see the strut rocking in the lower bracket. I used the spanner wrench to tighten it and the nut turned, so I kept tightening it, expecting it to stop turning. It did not stop turning, the nut stripped. Inspection of the stripped locknut revealed that only the tips of the threads were sheared off. This could only happen if either the nut was too big or the strut/damper body was too small. I called Ben with this information and he told me it is impossible to strip the locknut and refused to replace it. He did offer to sell me a replacement, however.

After driving it for a couple days I rechecked the left side, the side they fixed. Sure enough it was loose, I tightened it again, drove the car and it was loose by the next day.

After this much trouble you would think they would be willing to replace them or take them back and refund my money. Well, you would be wrong like I was. They are willing to SELL you replacement parts, but no replacements, no refunds, no returns, no reimbursement for shipping parts back to them, no help, no exceptions...NOTHING.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

man that sucks, sorry to hear about your bad experience bro. hope everything works out.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:28 PM

I decided to give John Kaneda, the owner of JIC, a chance to make things right before I through off the gloves and took it to the street, just in case Ben was acting without authority. Here is what happened…

I have been calling JIC and asking to talk to the owner, John Kaneda for the last couple days. Ben has answered the phone every time, recognizes my voice and tells me that John is not in. Today after I said “I’ll call back later” Ben said, and I quote, "I talked to John and told him that you wanted to talk to him and he said you could talk to me, I don't want to talk to customers" end quote. I could not believe what I heard, so I repeated “John said he does not want to talk to customers” and Ben said “yes”.

That is the most amazing display of a lack of customer service or concern I have heard in my life.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

what's their website address, I'll make sure NO ONE goes there,
what bastards
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I've heard the same story about JIC's "service". That's one of the reasons I still haven't decided on which coilovers I'll use (leaning toward Cusco Zero2Rs). Good luck...
Old Jan 14, 2004, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that man. Hope everything gets fixed
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:04 PM

I had the same problem with a set for my customers 944 turbo. After several weeks without results, I began too let EVERY one know about what had happened. This is about the time they where marketing coilovers for Porsche cars and they did not want to lose out on future customers. No results though, they just ignored the problem, blew me and my customers off! Customer service on there part when it came to me was horrible, I hope this was not always true.

For those who had good results with JIC please reply, it is always good to hear from both sides.

Winston
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

From a reliable source of mine in Japan, most of the JIC parts are manufactured, assembled and inspected in Korea, then shipped to Japan for labeling before shipping out. And quite honestly, I don't trust Korea's aftermarket automotive manufacturing. Afterall, that country does not import JDM vehicles at all if any! Just food for thoughts.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

My JIC Coilover work well. But I dealt with Jon on another issue. He is as useful as **** on a bore. Don't even bother sending things back to them, no one there has any proper mechanical or engineering ability to properly fix or adjust anything.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard bad things about JIC's customer service too and thats y I went with HKS instead.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

i mentioned this like a year ago. from personal experience with JIC i wouldn't recommand them even to the guys i am racing against. their products are ok quality but still not great and their costumer service is even worst than the RMV. also, they are not cheap so i really don't understand why people still choose them over a pruven company like HKS and CUSCO or even TEIN. come on, a catback falling off the car while you drive....
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

I'll make sure I don't buy anything from them.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Time to add JIC on the list of companies to avoid along with Hyundia, Wal Mart, Bills Used Toilet Paper & Toothbrushes and PimpDawgz Hookers Unlimited.

So many hard lessons to be learned.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about your experiences. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the heads up, one more less customer from me unless they change their customer service

Quick Reply: DO NOT buy anything from JIC USA