Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Review of my RnR Racing Products

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review of my RnR Racing Products

I am now completely satisfied with my new system. It is awesome. There is a link on my post (2nd one on PAGE 9) on the last page or so which takes you to my post about the results. I am very happy and RnR is now number one on my list again. This is just a post I put up about my unfortunate problems that I had. I am sure that every company goes through problems when the are just starting in a particular market. Don't let this thread deter you from RnR because they definitely stand behind everything they do!!!!!!!!

I will start off from day one. I drove down to San Diego, takes me 2.5 hours, to meet Ryan so he can build his very first catback for the Evo 8. I was very happy with this exhaust being it only cost me $320 for a 3" mandrel bent SS exhaust. I don't really like the Bullet muffler to much anymore and he didn't weld around the tip all the way, so there is always soot on the face of the muffler. I will eventually get another one on there in the future.
He now welds all the way around the tip and has lots of options to include everything from muffler to tip combos.
I would reccommend his catback exhaust for the Evo since I had no problems with it and know that other people are happy with his system.
Final results left me very happy and loyal to RnR Racing.

WAIT there is alot more leading to some very unhappy people so keep reading.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0043_img.jpg  

Last edited by bpclements; Jan 3, 2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Next I decide to go with there o2 Eliminator Downpipe ($350), Cat Delete pipe ($50), Intake kit with filter ($200), S-AFC 2 with settings ($340) and a Turbo XS H34 recirc BOV ($160). All totalling $1100. So I am expecting the same degree of quality that I got with my catback.
Well he said everything would be ready in like a week. That was not the case. Nothing was done. So I waited another 2 weeks and decided to drive up to San Diego again to pick everything up. Only things ready was the Downpipe and Cat delete pipe, so he will ship everything else to me at no charge on my part.

Well I was WAY wrong. I go to install the o2 Elim DP and discover that it will not fit no matter what I tried. So, I set it against a flat surface and discovered that it had over a 1" gap with one side sitting flat. BINGO, that is why the holes wouldn't line up and wouldn't fit.

Next is the Cat Delete Pipe. Nice and simple except the slip fitting is so damn tight. Just have to line it up and use a piece of wood on the flange to hammer it on there. Slide right on. A two person job. He includes no clamps either since he says it seals because it is so tight. The downside is now you have to get a cat with a slip fitting that will fit and it will be a pain to swap it out for emissions.

End result is that I sent this downpipe back and he will send me the Standard Downpipe. I am thinking he can't mess this up. So I wait to get this one in.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-101-0106_img.jpg  

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 21, 2003 at 11:39 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Finally get the intake in and it only comes with half the stuff so I wait for everything else which gets here a week later.

Ok the intake does not look quality enough to cost $200. The welds are not clean and I guess he used a torch or something to cut the hole for the dump tube for the DV. He didn't even roll the end on the DV pipe, he just slapped some welding on it. Not clean if you asked me.
Also, he gave me a blue reducer to mate the turbo to the pipe and I have a RED car. He also threw in a Napa 3" outer diameter hose which is black. This will not fit over the MAF since it's a 3" inner diameter.
The air filter was not a good fit either. It was like the holes were not perfectly aligned on the filter with the MAF holes. Had to work each screw on one at a time to get it to sit flat. Nice thing is that you can wash the filter with the K and N cleaning kit.

End result is I can't even install it since the MAF won't fit with the hose and he didn't even include a hose to hook the DV to the intake.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0028_img_2.jpg  

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 22, 2003 at 12:18 AM.
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Air intake

Pic of filter.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0036_img.jpg  
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

well i just pray they do a better job on my car its getting their complete turbo upgrade !!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

Standard Downpipe

So I get the standard downpipe in with my S-AFC 2 minus the install instructions and settings. I look at it and my first impression is that it looks like it will leak inbetween the two flanges. So I email Ryan to ask him if it will leak. He guarantee's that it won't. So I go to install it the first time and realize that the stock bolts will not fit through the flange. Keep in mind that I didn't receive any other bolts with the downpipe. So I contact Ryan again and he says that there should have been two bolts in there to use. So, I believe they fell out since there was a huge hole in the box where the hanger poked through. I buy two bolts, 10mm x 50mm with .125 thread and two lock washers and install the downpipe Friday.

So I check for leaks aroung the flange and what do you know, YEP IT LEAKS RIGHT THERE!!! So I drive it a while. The performance is definitely noticeable, but everytime I drive I can smell the exhaust in the car and my clothes smell like exhaust.

This is serious business which can kill someone and cause many Lawsuits against RnR Racing if someone gets hurt.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0002_img_3.jpg  
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Here is where it leaks from. You can see the gap there.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0016_img_2.jpg  
Old Dec 21, 2003, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

It is only tacked on there with two weld points, you can see one. You can also see where the black soot is from leaking exhaust just above the flange and by the bolt holes.
Attached Thumbnails Review of my RnR Racing Products-100-0033_img_2.jpg  

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 22, 2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen most of bp's parts from RNR.
My 1st impression was that somebody made them in their garage. Not very good build quality.
Sure, the prices are low...You know the saying "you get what you pay for"!
I've seen 4-5 posts here that say they've had problems with RNR products, mostly the O2 Eliminator DP.
Maybe, BPClements has just been a victom of bad luck, and it's just a coincidense that most of his parts are srewed up and his shippments don't arrive as discussed.
Or maybe some higher quality control is in order.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

My DP flange doesn't look like that.
What's with the double flange anyway?
If it's leaking don't use it, it'll kill you...ask Al about that.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

So I get in the Turbo XS BOV along with the install instructions and settings. Yet another let down since he sent me the H25 instead of the H34. The difference is that the H25 has tiny 25mm ports compared to the 34mm ports offered by the H34.

I ordered everything on about Nov 10th or so and I finally get everything on Dec 19th.

End result is that I am awaiting a reply from Ryan since I have sent out a couple emails and left a couple of messages. I am demanding a refund for the exhaust and Bov and for the proper hose couplings for the intake.
So I should receive $560 dollars from him and I will be sending this crap back to him if he agrees. I get free legal anyway since I am a Marine here and I am not afraid to use them if there is a problem.
None of my friends want to even deal with him after seeing what I have been through.

He is also known to have fitment issues with the DSM guys to mainly his turbo manifolds. So I would check everything for flatness and proper fit if you decide to go with him anyway.

I think I covered everything. It's alot, but I figured everyone nees to know.

Bishiboy is right, so right now my car has the stock downpipe, cat and intake tube. I am not going to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 22, 2003 at 12:24 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

does anyone have anything good to say about rnr!!!!????
Old Dec 22, 2003, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

I would have if everything would've went well. I use to advertise for him all the time on the forums. Now I am advertising the problems that I have from his stuff.

Good luck with your turbo kit. His manifolds might be better now since he goes with a different company to cut them and the same with his o2 elim dp's. Still I am through buying stuff from them. I am thinking of going with Buschur or Ulitmate Racing now for my exhaust.

I forgot to add that the stock support braces on the chassis will not work with the downpipe.

Last edited by bpclements; Dec 22, 2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

I got their 02 elim. downpipe as well.
I had the same problem. The cut wasn't flat so there was a leak. I ended up paying for 3 installations as well as shipping it back to RNR to get it fixed.
I never got a refund even for my shipping which I thought they should have covered it...

Not happy and will never go with RNR again.. sorry
Old Dec 22, 2003, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

That turbo inlet pipe looks like holy hell. I would imagine the diverter valve not staying attached to it either.

How could a company, in good conscience, send something out looking like that?

Quick Reply: Review of my RnR Racing Products