Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

8/10 DC AutoX - Evos finish 1, 3, 4

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
8/10 DC AutoX - Evos finish 1, 3, 4

Well, we had a good showing this past weekend at FedEx Field. jwtodd60, our perennial A Stock winner, took the week off, but I kept the Evo name at the top of the leaderboard in his absence. bluedot and wojo took 3rd and 4th positions in the class.

We saw the first STi of the year locally on Sunday, and he definitely held up his end of the rivalry, taking 2nd in the class.

5th, 6th, and 7th places went to a Boxster S, an M3, and a Corvette, respectively.

The preliminary results can be seen at:

http://www.brennen.net/autox/081003.htm

I was both shocked and pleased with my performance. I had no idea that there was so much difference between the stock A046 tires and my brand new Hoosier A3S03 autocross tires. It took my performance to another level.

I had FNTD (Fast Novice Time of Day) and the fourth fastest Stock time of the day -- among the Stock classes, only a pair of Z06's and an S2000 beat my raw time. In the PAX standings, I placed 29th out of 222 entrants.

Last edited by jbrennen; Aug 11, 2003 at 09:27 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nicely done!

What happended to Patnode? Was he running on street tires or something? Very odd that he would be so far down.

Was the STi on street tires or Rs?

Clearly I need to start polishing up my "Well, he was on Hoosiers and I only have Kumhos" excuse...

JW
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Nicely done guys.

I am sure Wojo is beating himself up to let you take the lead
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Nice job!

What kind of tires was everyone else on?
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't talk to Michael Patnode during the event, nor did I get a look at his tires.

The STi looked to be "dealer stock" -- definitely he was on the stock RE070 tires. He had a little over 1000 miles on the car. It was his first time autoXing the STi; he has previously autoXed in STX this year in a 2002 WRX.

I am really impressed with the Evo/Hoosier combo. I would have placed 2nd out of 16 if I had run in SM (Street Modified), or 2nd out of 8 if I had run in ESP (E Street Prepared). Quite impressive for a car which has only wheel and tire upgrades.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Are the Hoosiers considered a race tire or street tire? In my region they have an equalizer formula to help the street tire. For every 10 seconds of track time, you subtract 3 tenths off your time when running a street tire compared to a race tire. I want the stickiest legal street tire in Autocross. Any suggestions? Price is not an option. Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

The Hoosiers are not legal for the "Street Touring" classes, because of their low treadwear rating. They are however DOT-legal for highway use, so legal in any other SCCA class.

You may have other reasons for going with street tires, but even with a 1.8 second "penalty" for running Hoosiers, I would still have won the A Stock class by a comfortable margin.

It seems that the Falken Azenis are a very good "street tire" which is legal for the "Street Touring" classes. And most people running Azenis actually do seem to run them as an everyday tire.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Re: 8/10 DC AutoX - Evos finish 1, 3, 4

Great job in DC John. Looks like jwtodd better look out. You really stepped it up this week. There were a few Philly guys down there that I can somewhat guage by (Frank Gonzales and Steve Landstra in SS and Rob Leone in CS).

Congrats on a great finish.

Originally posted by jbrennen
Well, we had a good showing this past weekend at FedEx Field. jwtodd60, our perennial A Stock winner, took the week off, but I kept the Evo name at the top of the leaderboard in his absence. bluedot and wojo took 3rd and 4th positions in the class.

We saw the first STi of the year locally on Sunday, and he definitely held up his end of the rivalry, taking 2nd in the class.

5th, 6th, and 7th places went to a Boxster S, an M3, and a Corvette, respectively.

The preliminary results can be seen at:

http://www.brennen.net/autox/081003.htm

I was both shocked and pleased with my performance. I had no idea that there was so much difference between the stock A046 tires and my brand new Hoosier A3S03 autocross tires. It took my performance to another level.

I had FNTD (Fast Novice Time of Day) and the fourth fastest Stock time of the day -- among the Stock classes, only a pair of Z06's and an S2000 beat my raw time. In the PAX standings, I placed 29th out of 222 entrants.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: 8/10 DC AutoX - Evos finish 1, 3, 4

Originally posted by Trbo Dad
Congrats on a great finish.
Thanks. Supposedly this was the Saturday course from the National Tour event in June, which makes my time look pretty respectable, compared to your 59.092 back in June. Granted, it took me a fourth run to get my best time, which you guys didn't get, the course may not have been an exact re-creation, and the weather may have been better for me. Apples and oranges, I know. But I'll take it.

Note that the three other Stock cars which beat my time this past Sunday all trophied at the June event.