Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

2003 AutoMaker Quality Report!

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2003, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 AutoMaker Quality Report!

Check this out guys....

this is for all the subaru punks always baggin on Mitsu quality and saying how the Subaru is so great.

The numbers:

Subaru (146)
Mitsubishi (148)

ps. lower numbers are better indicating less problems per 100 vehicles..

the difference is just 2!!! thats nothing.

heres the link

http://www.jdpower.com/presspass/pr/...03028afull.gif
Old May 7, 2003, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

yeah but the sad thing is they both suck
Old May 7, 2003, 10:20 PM
choad

Old May 7, 2003, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OH MY GOD if you do WORSE than VW in quality comparison, it means doom

trust me i was (and still am!) a die hard VW guy!
Old May 7, 2003, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Wow. Mitsubishi is ranked one rung above dead last among car corporations, ahead of only Kia, and you mange to gloat.

Last edited by Señor Info; May 7, 2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, being worse than Ford and GM is not something to be proud of.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

BTW, Hyundai has recently absorbed Kia. So next year, Kia won't appear on the list of corporations. Mitsubishi better get it quality assurance act together fast, or it WILL be ranked worst in next year's survey.

Last edited by Señor Info; May 7, 2003 at 11:21 PM.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:33 PM

dang we have so many problems.....haha...LOL
Old May 8, 2003, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

I think the way this come out the way it is because both mitsu and subaru owner's are likely to mod (performance mods) their cars and therefore screw something up..... toyota ranked #1 because honestly, do you really seem that many high performance camry around? Celica and honda owners (not all but most) tend to do rice mods before performance mods(no flames please) which don't cause engine problems. If they **** something up, they know its their own fault and prob won't report it.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:13 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it is nothing but a survey that jd powers get from the dealers. no matter how bad your car is if they have a good service department, you will rate them high because you were satisfied with the repair.
Old May 8, 2003, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

the fact that ford was so high on that list is TOTAL BS. i can go on for days about how many ford problems i've had, and my friends have had, including my buddies 93 NON-MODDED mustang spontaneously EXPLODING. yeah. ford isn't the ish, ford is ish.
Old May 8, 2003, 09:30 AM

I think we have to look at what the report is designed to show us. A few observations:
* It's a survey of ANY kind of problems when the car is new -- it doesn't imply durability or how long the car will last. IMHO, Ford can produce a good car when it's new, but it's almost guaranteed to fall apart after a couple of years.
*Severity of the problem isn't detailed: for example how many severe engine problems are noted versus nit-picky stuff like upholstery problems.
Mitsubishi did have a rough go a few years ago, but looks to be bouncing back. I think our EVOs are relatively excluded from concern because of it's limited production run, and since it's the flagship of the line. Also, the 4G63 engine has been tried-and-true for many years, so I'm not worried there. What I think got 's numbers up on JDPower was the Galant - it tends to have some initial quality issues (it was my first Mitsubishi experience, and has been one of the worst rental cars I have ever rented - nearly soured my opinion of the whole company).
* I have nearly 5000 miles on my EVO8 and the only trouble I've had is the armrest upholstery coming unglued. Things like that more than likely ruined it for Mitsu. Otherwise, there are no other problems at all, and I love it!

-Evo2003.5
Old May 8, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs down J.D. Power

Honestly, the intial quality study is pretty meaningless, since it only checks for the first 90 days of ownership.
In addition to that, J.D. Power surveys are not really all that representative. For this survey they got about 52,000 reponses out of over 1.4 million vehicles sold every month. Since they space these survey responses over several months, the resulting representative sample is LESS than 1% of the total purchasing consumer base.
NOT particularily representative. These are of course just my observations, I could be wrong...
It is interesting to note that the Lancer was tied as one of the top three entry-level sedans.
Further, for and a few other Japanese makes, no surprises here, the Japan built vehicles have fewer problems and are better quality overall.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Didn't expect that J.D. Power would insert a $1 dollar bill on 1 of the 2 surveys that I received in the mail. Few more cents to get me a grande size coffee at Starbucks for the day.
Old May 8, 2003, 10:17 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think mitsubishi offered me a free car wash and a t-shirt if I write excellent in the JDpower survey but that is after screwing me bigtime, a stripped oilpan drainplug(after having my oil changes religiously at mitsu) and a broken platinum plug ceramic. Of course it was my fault for having a mitsubishi car. Good thing my insurance paid for it(thats another story) It is actually the job of the service manager, if he exercise sound judgment, things will not be crappy in their service department.

Quick Reply: 2003 AutoMaker Quality Report!