Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Warranty claim problems/ No claim problems.
Submitted claim, wasn't honored or had problems
58.90%
Submitted claim, no problems getting it fixed.
42.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi voiding warranties

Mitsubishi is voiding motor and drive train warranties including transmission for any cars that participate in an Sports Car of America (SCCA) event or any other timed event.

It seems that Mitsubishi has set up an automatic web search that looks for registration and results information for any Mitsubishi. They then capture the race results information, match it to vehicle purchase and service records and proactively put the car on "warranty restriction". Those of you with new cars, may want to not list the actual car make or use a screen name.

I bought this car for my son about 2 months ago. The voiding of the motor and drive train warranty is especially puzzling to me as I was completely open with the dealer that sold the car to me, that I was going to allow my son to participate in SCCA events -- even invited the sales person and his manager to come for a ride along. Was the dealer's response to tell me that this would void the warranty on the new car? Nope. His response was "...what a cool way to keep your son from getting in trouble on the streets."

Sure would have appreciated knowing that parking lots and cones would void the warranty on the Evo. I guess although the car is "race inspired", Mitsubishi considers chasing cones at 25 to 60 mph in parking lot to be too much for their "embodying everything a performance enthusiast looks for in a car" model.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Any proof?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, I have the fax print out from the dealer. It doesn't provide any details other than the top of the page that says:

!!! WARRANTY RESTRICTION !!!
When I asked the dealer why, the response was because of participation in SCCA event. I spent 6+ hours this week on hold and talking with various people at Mitsubishi. This morning I spoke with the District Service Manager for Mitsubishi Motors. He gave me the same answer -- warranty restriction due to participating in the Utah Region SCCA event on 16-May. He even mentioned that he had a copy of the web based time sheet / results with my son's name on it with the car model and color.

In clarifying with them what warranty restriction means, here's what I was told:
- No motor, transmission or drive train issues will be covered by warranty
- Even if I have Mitsubishi do repairs on the motor, they will not re-warranty

A five year 36,000 mile warranty up in smoke for participating in ONE SCCA event.

I'm a huge fan of the SCCA and will continue to participate. My son and I started last year. One of the very best things we do together. Anytime anyone at school or otherwise pressures him to race, he simply invites them out to an event.

We normally race an well prepared Honda S2000. Given the nature of the Evo, we planned on taking it out to an SCCA event before we even bought it.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

OK, scan it.

Where's the bit about this?

It seems that Mitsubishi has set up an automatic web search that looks for registration and results information for any Mitsubishi. They then capture the race results information, match it to vehicle purchase and service records and proactively put the car on "warranty restriction". Those of you with new cars, may want to not list the actual car make or use a screen name.
Or is this just a theory?

This sounds a lot closer to your dealer being ****ty about things.

How'd he blow the motor?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Tell them to prove it was your car. If this thing goes to court Mitsu will back down. Once again, Mitsu is trying to do everything in their power to give me a reason to never buy a car from them again. Here is where domestic cars have us beat. My buddy owns a Firehawk, and his local dealer accepts that he drags the car, that he has mods, and they still cover everything that breaks under warrenty. Once again I absolutely hate Mitsu service departments....
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

did you ask them why participating in that voids the warrenty. and for them to sight were in the warrenty it says doing an scca or timed event voids the warrenty?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Rasputin]OK, scan it.

Where's the bit about this?

Or is this just a theory?

This sounds a lot closer to your dealer being ****ty about things.

How'd he blow the motor?[/QUOTE

What's your prob.

It's definitely not the dealer. He's dealing with the same dealer and service writer that I dealt with when I lost my turbo and they also replaced my cat and clutch position sensor all under warranty. The service writer is very cool and on the customer's side. Trust me I know.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

No, the dealer has been excellent. The entry in the service record was made proactively without my son ever taking the car in for service. Entry in the service record is 16-May. I took the car in for service on the 2-June. District Service Manager is able to pull up my service file and quote results and other information directly to me over the phone. Whether it's automatic through a web crawler based search or manual, it is clear that Mitsubishi is proactively looking at SCCA event registration and results information and matching it to sales and service records.

Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

The more I think about this the more is pisses me off. Whats next???

"Im sorry sir, we have reason to believe you depressed your accelerator all the way down two weeks ago to merge into traffic on I-80 and we can no longer warrenty your drivetrain because of the abuse it has seen...."

I think this fiasco has put me over the edge on my Mitsu opinion. Glad to see other companies are not so ****. Did you know that Scion actually encourages car modification?
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BS man. I cant do this. MItsu is becoming a *****
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heshamnaim
did you ask them why participating in that voids the warrenty. and for them to sight were in the warrenty it says doing an scca or timed event voids the warrenty?
Yes and they pointed out to me that any "timed" events are explicitly listed in the warranty and referenced as racing. Racing is considered customer abuse and voids the warranty.

The motor on the Evo has not been torn down yet. Motor is making an odd sound. My calling it "blown" is premature, but service rep believes the motor will need signficant repairs.

My intent is to make sure everyone is aware of what Mitsubishi is up to. If you participate in SCCA or other time trial or full race events, you may want to use a screen name and not enter vehicle info.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

i can't believe this is happening.....Mitsubishi is stupid to do that.
Subaru give out one yr free SCCA membership to every WRX/STI buyer.........what a joke to the Mitsubishi !!!

so...what is next? May be Mitsubishi will start visit this forum to track down who have mod on their Evo......no more dyno chart guys
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Everyday Mitsu seems to try and top their previous efforts...
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

"we are voiding your warranty because we are going belly up and want to save money by not covering any warranty issues. so we hired a team of 2500 to sit and surf the web for any mitsubishi entered in a timed event." sounds real cost effective to me
Old Jun 4, 2004, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Angry

Originally Posted by Tristar Racing
Tell them to prove it was your car. If this thing goes to court Mitsu will back down. Once again, Mitsu is trying to do everything in their power to give me a reason to never buy a car from them again. Here is where domestic cars have us beat. My buddy owns a Firehawk, and his local dealer accepts that he drags the car, that he has mods, and they still cover everything that breaks under warrenty. Once again I absolutely hate Mitsu service departments....
Unfortunately Mitsu has everything they need to prove that I participated in the event.
- My name and my son's name on the Utah Region SCCA event for 16-May
- Make, model and color of car
- SCCA membership number that links directly to my son and I

I never even disputed that I participated. As I mentioned, I told the dealer before I bought the car that we'd be taking it to SCCA Solo II events. ARG!

Quick Reply: Warranty Issues <Mega Merge>