Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

ECU+ Remote display prototype..

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
LOL I have a few weeks of work to do before I'll have a working prototype (that isn't running off a PC) Its hard to find the right type of SD Card device without requiring a ton of software coding just to read and write to it.

The prototype will be fairly large thanks to the developer kit, but when its done it should be roughly the size of an Apexi SAFC (smaller than a DIN opening)

I have another project to finish up before I can spend more "Dedicated" time on this one since its a combination of hardware and software development that requires more focus than my Logger tools for the PC requires..

But I figure It'll start coming together in the next month or two, I also want to keep my efforts in sync with new developments in the ECU+ itself.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:56 PM
EvoM Guru

For the moment, the protocol for communicating with the ECU+ is a "Moving target" I have what I need to create a logger, and therefore I can create a nice dashboard/logger for it thats hardware based. The features I'd initially have would be to start/stop loging to SD card.. Beyond that I havent planned to do much more than have configuration for what to display on the screen.. It really depends on how much room I have to work with in the microcontroller's eeprom and how fast it runs.

Remember I have to officially release the Mitsubishi Logger tool I've been working on so I can take a break from that one.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Just a quick photo of the new LCD display I am playing with, its 1.5" which may make it a little small, but its a graphic display.

Tom, PM me about this unit, its something you can integrate directly with the ECU+

Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:14 PM
EvoM Guru

This is the SD Card interface.. It also functions similarly and can actually be easily integrated into the ECU+ directly..

these two devices will be connected to a basic stamp microcontroller and should be capable of logging and displaying..
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Looks like I'll have a working prototype much faster than I expected..
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Hey Tom, can the ECU+ Use the I2C bus? SD card device is capable of it and its REALLY easy to interface this thing.. the display is just an RS232 serial device, and again, easy to interface.. Its under $100 in parts..
Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Impressive Now get to work so we call buy this
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:16 AM
EvoM Guru

We'll see how things go.. I have the display and storage portions taken care of.. but the Basic Stamp module i have probably isn't fast enough, or capable of doing the volume of floating point math necessary to produce a usable display and log to the SD card..

Its funny how easy it is to send data to these devices, the complicated part is digesting the data into a usable format.. I can see this particular device having more than one use, therefore I will be putting quite a bit of extra effort into getting it to work.

I did find an inexpensive linux appliance with multiple SIO ports that might do the trick..
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:23 AM
EvoM Guru

I want to discuss some of these new findings with Tom before I go much further.. I know its easier to not have him make changes to accomodate this and do it only with my hardware device.. But the components are really cheap, and are easy to integrate into devices, if his hardware is already capable of communicating serially, maybe there's another GPIO that he can use to drive/log these devices.. then its really just packaging an inexpensive display and sd card unit, and a wiring harness.. Otherwise the microcontroller board adds a bit of expense to the unit.. As it sits, the display and logger components can be purchased for under $100.. A microcontroller board can add another $50-$100 or more.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome, I am going to put the link for this up on the ECU+ site. Keep us informed of how you are making out.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

This is a little off topic but, I wasn't able to find the map sensor stuff through the UTEC forum or on Turboxs' site. Can you give me a link to the part numbers off of Turboxs' site.

Thanks

FYI - I posted on the ECU+ site about your display unit. Now I am sure people will be bugging you like crazy to get it up and running and ready for production
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:39 AM
EvoM Guru

LOL Thanks.. I do appreciate that its taking on a life of its own, and its a tool really needed that can bring the ECU+ ahead of anything else available that retains the stock ECU.

You need to download the TurboXS UTEC Documentation (PDF File) Its in the appendix there, or just search the UTEC threads for MAP SENSOR PART NUMBER and it should show up. I don't have this information easily available, but its easy to find on google.. Just search for GM 3 bar Map sensor and pigtail, you should get dozens of hits..
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

As I said before, this display unit would definately be the icing on the cake

I'll give google a try. Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad *** man! Can't wait to get my paws on one of those....
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can only assume this will be for Silver box users. Looks like I need to upgrade to the silver box sooner than later.

Quick Reply: ECU+ Remote display prototype..