Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Flight Crew weekend maneuvers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS Flight Crew weekend maneuvers

This weekend the AMS team went on the road with a couple of Evos to do some sorties at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC.

AMS brought the Time Attack car down, which will be running in the unlimited class at the EvolutionM.net Evo tuner shootout and Martin’s street car which will be running in the “Street” class.

I will be driving the Time Attack car, and Mark Daddio will be driving the street class car.

Me in the AMS Time Attack car

This weekend was spent testing setups at the 2.23 mile track.

The weekend started rough Saturday morning when it was discovered that while loading the car on the trailer, the super-wide tires had been parked against the bolts holding the spare to the trailer, and there was some damage to the sidewall. Not wanting to risk a crash, we decided to run the 235 Toyo R888s on the Time attack car.

Now the issue of course was that 17-inch wheels don’t fit over the big brake kit.. So AMS customer and street class competitor David (Stop&TurnFreak) graciously let his car become a parts car, and off came the brakes.

David’s car sits as a placeholder for the big brake kit, with his brakes on the Time Attack Car.

After all that went with that was done, both cars were finally on track. Of course so was the rest of the world. There were probably close to 30 cars in the group, and at a minimum of 10 seconds a lap faster than the next closest car, a Porsche 911 GT2, there was no such thing as a clean lap. There was no such thing as a clean half-lap. Passes were also by point-by only, which made waiting for each pass frustrating.

Me in the Time Attack car in heavy traffic.

After a couple of sessions, we decided to concentrate on one car, with Mark and I sharing the driving duties and focusing on getting a set-up. That is when Mark’s trophy-finishing Street Mod Evo became a parts car, with his rear shocks going on Martin’s white car to get a comparison.

Justin works on Mark’s Evo while Mark takes a drink.

Mark at speed at CMP

Me in the while car.

Saturday night/Sunday morning we swapped the shocks from the Time Attack Car with the shocks on the white car, corner-weighted the car, and adjusted the alignment. We worked out a lot of the misbehavior, getting the car to rotate better on entry, and have better balance through the corner.

Mark uses the curbs to see how the cars shocks perform while unsettling the car.

Overall the weekend was a success, and we feel that we have a good base for the Evo Shootout in two weeks, with both Mark and I looking forward to pushing the cars in competition.

The new AMS black caliper kit. Bring your car to AMS, and they will have one of us do a test day in it, turning your calipers black.

Don’t worry about David (Stop&TurnFreak) after the Time Attack Car was parked, the brakes were swapped back, and he was able to go play as well.

Mark and I discussing setup on the AMS Evos

Martin and Mark discussing setup.

The crew at the end of the weekend, in good spirits. Top row: Justin, Me, Mark, and Martin. Bottom Row: My dad Ray, and David.

I want to give a big thanks to the guys back at the shop who worked to get the cars ready for this weekend, (now I sound like a NASCAR driver) To Justin who pretty much was laying under an Evo for 48 hours straight, his wife and my GF for helping out, getting fuel/water/Gatorade/food etc, Mark for driving down and joining this bunch of miscreants, and Martin for tuning some bad-*** Evos. (Ask the guy in the GT2 who didn’t understand why he was getting spanked by a couple of four-door cars.)

Bring on the Tuner Challenge.

Jon K
Old Jun 25, 2006, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

FINALLY!!! Good write up Jon !

I want to thank Jon, Mark, Justin, and Martin. I learned a ton, and I really appreciate the patience you guys all took explaining what was happening there.

We had a HARD, but rewarding weekend.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like some good testing. Did you guys get any rain? I was at Roebling and it poured on sunday, but saturday was ok.

Lap times?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Actually, it rained sunday, after about 2pm. We got some time in the rain, but just enough to know how the cars would react. Other than that......same as you two days scheduled, one full, and one half.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Lap times... we probably averaged 1:52s, with a few sub 1:50s in each car.

No real way to tell though, until the final session in semi-wet conditions, there was never a lap when I didn't have to wait for a point-by on at least 2 cars.

One thing we did learn though, back to back testing with the Hoosier 6's and the Toyo R888, both Mark and I agree that mid corner the grip levels are basically the same, corner entry on the Toyo is a little softer, but it makes for a progressive tire when you do enter a little hot, where the Hoosier is less forgiving.

I think if you set a car up for each, you are probably looking at little to no difference in lap times.

Jon
Old Jun 26, 2006, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

I would just like to add that it was great meeting and working with all you guys. We made some great progress, and I am looking forward to the shootout. It was a lot of hard work in some pretty opressive conditions, but everyone kept their chin up, and a good attitude. Great bunch to work with, and I think we will only get quicker from here. Should be fun.
Thanks,

Mark
Old Jun 26, 2006, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by racerjon1
Lap times... we probably averaged 1:52s, with a few sub 1:50s in each car.

No real way to tell though, until the final session in semi-wet conditions, there was never a lap when I didn't have to wait for a point-by on at least 2 cars.

One thing we did learn though, back to back testing with the Hoosier 6's and the Toyo R888, both Mark and I agree that mid corner the grip levels are basically the same, corner entry on the Toyo is a little softer, but it makes for a progressive tire when you do enter a little hot, where the Hoosier is less forgiving.

I think if you set a car up for each, you are probably looking at little to no difference in lap times.

Jon
That DE traffic can be killer. Definately no decent laps in that but at least you figured out some things about the cars. SO without traffic..............1:44? I am just wondering what the time to beat is
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I don't want to speculate on a message board... if we say "1:46" and run a 44, then we look like we were sandbagging or hiding something... if we say "1:42" and don't run it, we look like we were full of ourselves.

We simply don't know.

Jon
Old Jun 26, 2006, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa - Daddio hanging with the AMS Boyz

Wonderin what you've been up to
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yea, Mark and I talked at Nationals last year at length, much of it about his desire to try new and different things, with road race type activities at the top of the list.

I had been looking for an opportunity to bring him in, and on One Lap Martin asked me who I thought would be good to drive his Evo in street class at the shootout. Mark was my first thought of course, and I PMd him here on EvoM at 2am in some hotel in Virgina with Martin's phone number..

At lunch time the next day at VIR Mark called Martin, and the rest is history.

When I told a couple of people this there was a response of "but isn't he an autocrosser and not a roadracer" I knew about his history of roadracing (American Sedan and Neon Challenge) so I assured them it wasn't an issue.

After watching him this weekend, I will stand very much behind that. I do know a few national championship winning autocrossers that do not like higher speeds, even 50-60mph sustained autocrosses, so sometimes there is a question.

Mark showed no such propensity to fear, and in his first session tried the Kink at 120+ mph flat out to "see how much speed it could hold" After a minor ride through the dirt, he came back and said that he would have to slow down a little for the kink.

Mark may have most of his fame from a couple handfulls of SCCA Solo national championships, but I promise he is a racer through and through, whether around cones, on a track, or in traffic. He brings in a wealth of knowledge of vehicle dynamics, setup, and racecraft, and I am very excited about having him as a teammate.

Jon K
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Nice job GUYS!!!
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

"Mark showed no such propensity to fear, and in his first session tried the Kink at 120+ mph flat out to "see how much speed it could hold" After a minor ride through the dirt, he came back and said that he would have to slow down a little for the kink. "

Yes, that was interesting to say the least. The bump at the apex there makes that turn quite unique when approaching at 120mph plus. It was weird cause at just a few mph less it seemed to be a non issue with plenty of room at track out. I am still thinking of a way to make it at 120+. That would help lap time a bit, don't you think? lol
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markdaddio
"Mark showed no such propensity to fear, and in his first session tried the Kink at 120+ mph flat out to "see how much speed it could hold" After a minor ride through the dirt, he came back and said that he would have to slow down a little for the kink. "

Yes, that was interesting to say the least. The bump at the apex there makes that turn quite unique when approaching at 120mph plus. It was weird cause at just a few mph less it seemed to be a non issue with plenty of room at track out. I am still thinking of a way to make it at 120+. That would help lap time a bit, don't you think? lol
You can do it!!! Go 119.8 then!
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure it can be done at 120+ how many times we can go off getting it right without spinning across track into the tires eventually is the question though. at 108-112 it is fine.

I was creeping up on faster runs through there, but most of my practice laps were disrupted by a 80mph Miata/Subaru/Porsche that I was just trying not to run over.

I do think getting our timing and car placement down after some good clean laps through there that 120 will be very possible. (After that I will be holding my breath and closing my eyes)

Jon
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

I can't wait for this event.