Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

9sec9/OKIX's EVO, ROUND TWO!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
9sec9/OKIX's EVO, ROUND TWO!

There has been a lot of behind the scene work going on for the last few weeks to gear up for 9sec9's next round of modifications on their EVO9.

Tom (9sec9) will chime in as this goes with more details. For now I want to thank all who have been involved before we got the car here to do the final work.

Forced Performance, camshafts and turbochargers for the car.

Indy EVO, air box, radiator, intake manifold. (Air box design was a concept of Tom's actually, executed by Indy and Schumacher Racing)

Keith Wilson, intake manifold.

Tom showed up here on Monday and Daniel (my brother/service department owner) got started right away on pulling the engine. The shortblock looked goreous but we found 3 cylinders with valves that were leaking. The head only required a quick valve job to have it back to 100%.

The longblock was set back into the car Tuesday morning and then came the process of starting to get all the parts to work and fit together.

The radiator was built by C&R and designed by Indy EVO. The radiator is a dual pass radiator with AN fittings quick disconnects. It's a work of art. The only part left was to build a mount to hold it in the car. I was able to do that using the existing top pins and a single dzus fastener.

The air box is a work of art too. Designed to grab the air from the front of the car and ram it into the air filter. This part was done and mounted, also using a single dzus from Indy. All I had to do was build the inlet pipe that ran from the air box to the turbocharger. Trent did the welding and it fits like a glove.

Next up was to get the water pump mounted. At first I was ready to start throwing things out the door. Then Tom decided to kick me in the ***** and when I hit the floor I saw where the pump needed to go I built a bracket to mount the pump from the bottom of the ACD pump. It actually couldn't have come out any better.

We are waiting on the Indy Intake manifold to come in from Wilson tomorrow morning and then I believe we have everything we need to finish up the car and start it.

This time around the car will be tuned using the AEM EMS.

Quite a few changes and quite a few parts to test and run.

This should make for some very interesting results.

The design of the radiator and air box are just freaking gorgeous, great job on those parts Indy EVO!

Enjoy the pictures. We will update this as the build comes together further.

Link to this thread on Buschur Forums:

http://buschurforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21962

Last edited by David Buschur; Oct 7, 2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:39 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
siiiiiiiiick. Awesome stuff as always!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

buschur owns all
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

That airbox is simply gorgeous
Old Jul 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

looks great
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:09 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good,

like the CR radiator, similar to our TA car, but ours is a vertical flow core.

cb
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn Tom the car is looking amazing.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks David, but the credit should go to 9sec9 . It was his concept and I just completed it for him. This air box is just a prototype, as we had a new air box in the works at the time we mounted this one. This version was just to see if everything worked as expected. The real magic is the stuff you can not see from the photos, inside the box. 9sec9 penned the box and sent me a pattern and I just modified it to work in the space available. My friend Norman the shop foreman and lead fabricator at Schumacher Racing knocked out the box. Norman also builds funny car chassis for Schumacher, and has an 8 sec @ 160 mph Grand National street car he runs for fun. I mounted the box and built the extensions that run forward to the grille, sourced the proper component to get it sealed, and the magic inside. The C&R radiator uses a Visteon core, and dual pass side tanks with dry breaks (Thanks, Devon for turning my napkin sketch into reality so quick ). This was done to help speed things up with the turbo testing tomorrow. They can be seperated without draining the radiator and you do not have to bleed the cooling system . Thanks for finishing the install . I know you will be impressed with the intake tomorrow. Looking forward to the testing and thanks again. Indy

Last edited by Indy Evo; Jul 2, 2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:17 PM
Account Disabled

two words,

bad ***!!

ok two more

Swain Tech

hee he,

i love the innovation.

cb
Evolved Member

wow thats some engineering .
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm diggin the dry break radiator set up.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:18 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Thanks David, but the credit should go to 9sec9 . It was his concept and I just completed it for him. This air box is just a prototype, we had a new air box in the works at the time we mounted this one. 9sec9 penned the box and sent me a pattern and I just modified it to work in the space available. The radiator uses a Visteon core, and dual pass side tanks with dry breaks. This will help with your turbo testing tomorrow. They can be seperated without draining the radiator and you do not have to bleed the cooling system . Thanks for finishing the install . I know you will be impressed with the intake tomorrow. Looking forward to the testing and thanks again. Indy
Indy,

awesome job, 9sec9 had originally contacted me about a rad, but you guys went with an awesome C&R... I cant afford to have them build our radiators lol, but we also use Visteon and Delphi cores...

That thing is mega, you guys continue to impress...

cb
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Sick!!!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. I can't express enough how good Indy's workmanship is. The concept became reality through many discussions and "what if's". What Indy also didn't say is the radiator and the airbox will both reverse to the other side. If the radiator needs to be mounted on the drivers side, you simply move it and the same with the airbox.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor

That is what you call INNOVATION.. Indy, Tom, Dave, bad *** work as usual from the BR camp and friends!!! Im getting more jealous by the minute when i see 1 bad *** part after another coming from you guys!!

Quick Reply: 9sec9/OKIX's EVO, ROUND TWO!