Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT, Sport mode or D mode Faster?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT, Sport mode or D mode Faster?

dont know why i feel D mode is faster than sport mode....

Also, when i drove 140KM+ (85mph+) the 6th gear is like no power to push up the sped , i must stay at 5th gear to pump over to 5000RPM + to do it
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:47 AM

thats because the car is faster in D mode.. the CVT has an infinite number of ratios to choose from in D. i don't think this car needed 6 gears i rarely use the 6th gear.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowbred
thats because the car is faster in D mode.. the CVT has an infinite number of ratios to choose from in D. i don't think this car needed 6 gears i rarely use the 6th gear.
this is technically always the case... while in D mode you are at the mercy of the software directing the transmissions behaviour, in theory you should get more reliable performance while in Manual mode VS. D, if you do not drive agressive enough your driving may be regulated by certain thresholds. Second while in D mode you should have full transmission to engine gear engagement the 6th gear of course is a fixed ratio, but once you have it within the proper power zone then you will not have laggy behavour. but if you are at highway super crusing speeds, and the RPM level is below 3750 your performance may surfer as with any car not over the performance point. in Mitsubishi's case the Second Phase of MIVEC, the HIGH RPM High Permforamnce switch over.

So in theory you have two factors that may work against your performance driving.

1. (ENGINE) If you do not get into the Second MIVEC level your performance may suffer in terms of your expectation of HP. Remember the 1st Mivec level is a low RPM high TQ profile.
Please review the following document, it may give you a great sense of how this MIVEC is different then previous generations before the 4B11 and 12 series
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/cor...006/18e_09.pdf

2. (Transmission) While in D mode you constantly have a Computer working against your desire for Max performance and forcing a more fuel efficent method to comprimise between your hunger for power, and your forgotten goal of fuel economy. So this transmission will work to keep you in MIVEC level 1

I hope that doesnt confuse everyone?

Last edited by evo_soul; Mar 24, 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 04:58 PM

makes sense, thanks for the explanations..
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:32 PM

i only use 4 80Km/ highway 5 dont need use 6. 6 it for over drive low rpm not fun