Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AGP Turbo's X.....NOW 84whp gain...update pg4

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGP Turbo's X.....NOW 84whp gain...update pg4

Still on the dyno trying different parts. So far with just an AGP TBE and the Turbonetics billet boost controller we gained 55whp over our stock base dyno. Stock we did 261whp and just now did 316whp. Both are at 23psi with 91oct AZ **** gas. The stock runs dropped to 15psi at redline and right now they are dropping to 17psi. We're going to swap in our stronger waste gate actuator and see if we can get it to hold more boost to redline.

More to come.......

Kevin@AGP

UPDATE on page4 84whp gain so far

Last edited by Z1500; Jan 26, 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome that was pretty painless 316whp. Can't wait to see numbers once these things are able to get flashed.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:14 PM

Yeah.. After a flash it will get very interesting.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Couple things we've learned so far.

The car is still in the 10's AFR's.

The stock actuator is a 12psi unit. It's is adjustable but if you adjust it for more preload, then it no longer has enough travel to keep the boost down. The car freaks out and hits fuel cut at 26psi if you tighten up the stock actuator.

We built a cold air intake pipe but we're not going to put it on till the end cause the stock unit is pretty good. We want to see how bad you really need one.

Last edited by Z1500; Jan 25, 2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

what type of dyno?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

dynapak
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thats sick. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket does with the X. Tuning especially.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

I was EXTREMELY iffy about this car until I have been reading all these posts.... has a HUGE potential to be a beast !!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Z1500
Both are at 23psi and 91oct AZ **** gas.
Kevin@AGP
Man, try cali 91 oct

The gains seen by any aftermarket intakes on the dyno probably won't translate quite as well on the road. The tests are done with the hood up, so sticking a cone filter in place of the airbox... well, the stock airbox has to suck through the snorkel whereas the cone suddenly has all this air volume to pull air from with the hood up.

BUT, the stock airbox is pretty damn well designed from the factory. The air filter sits vertical so the air has a straight shot through it and down to the turbo. It's a much better design than the stock airbox on the VIII/IX which has to make a 90 degree turn into the airbox and then a 180 degree turn down to the turbo. So that's like 270 degrees worth of turns that the air has to make versus the near straight shot on the X. Might even get a little bit of a ram air effect with the stock airbox on the X.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:55 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
good info - thanks for the post
Old Jan 25, 2008, 01:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Man, try cali 91 oct

The gains seen by any aftermarket intakes on the dyno probably won't translate quite as well on the road. The tests are done with the hood up, so sticking a cone filter in place of the airbox... well, the stock airbox has to suck through the snorkel whereas the cone suddenly has all this air volume to pull air from with the hood up.
We did a cold air intake, hood up or down doesn't make a difference when the filter isn't under the hood. Seems like the intake alone made 10whp by allowing the turbo to hold more boost to redline. The stocker does seem pretty good but for 10hp and to get that huge air box out of the way, 3" intake for me

Just as a general note for those wanting to know about the X. The car is really really easy to work on. It's really a pleasure after fighting a 335i to have nice open engine bay where you can get to everything. And after looking at it up close for a while, it makes the 8+9 look very plain. The aggressive styling really grows on you. The engine is clearly responding to mods just as well as the 9, and the X has a stronger trans than anything ever bolted to a 4g63. The only downside I can see in the X is the additional 250lbs. But you can't tell it's there when you drive it and if the powertrain, brakes and suspension are all improved to negate the added weight, who cares. I'm not going to run right out and trade in my 9 but all my fears of Mitsu killing a once great car are gone.

Kevin@AGP
Old Jan 25, 2008, 02:16 AM
Former Sponsor

So we ended up with 320tq 326hp. That's 65whp over our stock baseline. All being done at 23psi on 91oct just like the stock pulls. We had one oddball spike to 340+hp but it was just a fluke. We were able to get the car to hold 20psi to redline but that little turbo is pretty well maxed out. We'll have our big bar+plate FMIC on there later today and a little better flowing hot side pipe. Going to do some more testing on different cold air intake designs too. Getting the most out of the stock turbo and making best use of that boost before we upgrade the turbo. It's pretty clear that this turbo is about 5-6lb/min smaller than a 9 turbo. So mid 300's is all she's got in her.

And at this point the car is still running AFR's in the 10's. So a little tuning would net 10 more hp easy. And any sort of decent gas would help a lot, the X runs pretty aggressive timing and we're getting a good amount of knock. I expect our big FMIC will help a lot with the knock, I haven't checked compressor outlet temps yet but I'm sure they are sky high.

Kevin@AGP
Old Jan 25, 2008, 04:41 AM
DTM
Account Disabled

How are you seeing the excessive knock?
How much timing is being pulled?
Was this knock before, after or on both tests with an Intake on the car?
Do you have the ability to see a calculated load?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:51 AM
Account Disabled

So we ended up with 320tq 326hp.
It's pretty clear that this turbo is about 5-6lb/min smaller than a 9 turbo. So mid 300's is all she's got in her.

Kevin@AGP
I just want to be clear with you. SO your saying that the IX turbo is stronger than the X turbo?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

so, can you post some pics of your evo, and the parts you are talking about or is this a phanton car?
So we ended up with 320tq 326hp. That's 65whp over our stock baseline. All being done at 23psi on 91oct just like the stock pulls. We had one oddball spike to 340+hp but it was just a fluke. We were able to get the car to hold 20psi to redline but that little turbo is pretty well maxed out. We'll have our big bar+plate FMIC on there later today and a little better flowing hot side pipe. Going to do some more testing on different cold air intake designs too. Getting the most out of the stock turbo and making best use of that boost before we upgrade the turbo. It's pretty clear that this turbo is about 5-6lb/min smaller than a 9 turbo. So mid 300's is all she's got in her.

And at this point the car is still running AFR's in the 10's. So a little tuning would net 10 more hp easy. And any sort of decent gas would help a lot, the X runs pretty aggressive timing and we're getting a good amount of knock. I expect our big FMIC will help a lot with the knock, I haven't checked compressor outlet temps yet but I'm sure they are sky high.

Kevin@AGP

Quick Reply: AGP Turbo's X.....NOW 84whp gain...update pg4