Notices
General Engine Management / Tuning Forum Discuss general EMS tuning concepts that do not pertain to a specfic brand or product.

New features in the last week or so

Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New ECU+ features in the last week or so

While folks are testing out the latest P0300 fix firmware beta (looks pretty good, BTW), I decided to take this opportunity to work on some new features in the Palm and Windows software. Things that are now done, and ready for the next big release include:

- Fixed the crash in the Windows software that everyone runs into when the app is running behind another window.

- Fixed error where windows didn't always restore properly, or the dyno plot wouldn't come up at all. (Am I the only one this happened to?)

- Fixed problem with overlaid plots when the overlay was longer than the original plot - you couldn't scroll to the end of the overlay.

- Official Innovate LC-1 support. (Finally!)

- Support for the Freescale MPX4250A MAP sensor.

- A File->Properties menu item to tell you lots of information about your saved datalogs.

- MAP sensors now log vacuum as well as boost (A suggestion from Ivan C).

- And last but not least, something that I realized that I do *all of the time*, so why not make it easy? See screenshot.

I've been busy...

Tom
Attached Thumbnails New features in the last week or so-nextwot.jpg  

Last edited by tlcoll1; Jul 19, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work tom!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice... can't wait to not get those crashes anymore..
Old Jul 20, 2006, 03:14 PM
Evolving Member

Good job Tom, nice to see an actual supported piggyback. Not only bringing features out but also fixing problems. Which doesn't include plugging something into the obd2 port to keep codes at bay.

Ivan
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

I've had excellent results with your po300 fix.. driving around for over a week with no codes - before i couldn't drive 5 miles without my dash lighting up.

when do you expect to release the software update?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Not sure if you released anything yet.. But I figured I'd add some input on a frustrating situation with the current version of the software.. We all know it crashes on occasion if you lose focus of the window (for me its every time the screen saver comes up, the software seems to crash)

Thats not my issue though, my issue is every time it happens its during a very long log session.. The software should log directly to disk, not memory, plus the filenames should be by default date/timestamped since I have accidentally overwritten files already... And there should be one-button logging TO DISK, time/date stamped files, to a set directory..

Also, you need to allow some logging in the software of OBD-II data such as fuel trims and calculated load, even if its only sampled a few times a second..

BTW, if you have raw control, I have some code that you can use for reference to get much higher speed logging out of the OBD-II logger (assuming your not using an elmscan chip, and the interface to obd-II port does bitbanging to get the data)
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Oh and I'm getting P0300's at low RPM and Idle almost every day now.. I don't think its my car... So I hope the new firmware is available soon..
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Oh and I'm getting P0300's at low RPM and Idle almost every day now.. I don't think its my car... So I hope the new firmware is available soon..

I was getting those too Jack, the beta 3 code fixed it for me. I was getting them every day at low rpm amd idle conditions.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Thats not my issue though, my issue is every time it happens its during a very long log session.. The software should log directly to disk, not memory, plus the filenames should be by default date/timestamped since I have accidentally overwritten files already... And there should be one-button logging TO DISK, time/date stamped files, to a set directory..

Also, you need to allow some logging in the software of OBD-II data such as fuel trims and calculated load, even if its only sampled a few times a second..

+1 on the log to disk and auto filenameing!!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
I was getting those too Jack, the beta 3 code fixed it for me. I was getting them every day at low rpm amd idle conditions.
SWEET! At least I know I'm not insane...
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure if you released anything yet.. But I figured I'd add some input on a frustrating situation with the current version of the software.. We all know it crashes on occasion if you lose focus of the window (for me its every time the screen saver comes up, the software seems to crash)
I allow folks to try out betas. The Windows software is "done," I think, for the next version. It's just an e-mail away.

Logs aren't done directly to disk because disk access on Windows has a habit of interfering with serial port communications. I've done some pretty long log sessions myself, and don't see any crashes except the behind-other-windows one. And BTW, "other windows" can include the Windows tray notifications. I get that when my wireless card notices a new network as I drive around my neighborhood.

I can see the idea of date/time stamped files, to a set directory. Lay out some specs for me, specifically whether it complements, adds to, or changes the function of the current menu items, and how the config screens would work.

Has been "on the list" for a while. Everything is stacked up behind the P0300 fix.

Tom
Old Jul 27, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rushin
when do you expect to release the software update?
Coupl'a folks have had some problems with the firmware update, so I still need to shake out all of those issues before I release it.

Tom
Old Jul 27, 2006, 03:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Understood.. I think just a basic prefix-date-time (the prefix would be selected by the user and directory) and a simple start button, or spacebar to start it..

I have been using logging to disk for some time without any issue in the Utec Digital Dashboard, and Evoscan logs to disk at a very high sample rate... I would at least offer it as an option because you lose everything when the software crashes otherwise.. I'd rather have the rare occasional data dropout, then losing 2 hours worth of driving log like I did yesterday... I would at least periodically commit it to disk anyway, since running to memory will eventually start the disk swapping, which is more intrusive. Additionally windows is always writing to disk anyway.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

I did a test last night to see if there were any limitations in log file size, so I logged 7 hours overnight. At the end of the log session, the file saved and re-opened fine, all 65 Mbytes of it. So I'm pretty confident that there's really no need to log directly to disk (this would be an annoying change, given how the software currently works), rather, folks just need to update to the next released version of the software. I did, however, add your "log to a specific file" feature to my to-do list , which currently contains 35 items .

BTW, I'd also like to point out that the 7 hour log was a good deal longer than any of the "night's sleep" I've seen in the past two years!

Tom
The hardest-working man in engine management
Old Aug 2, 2006, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

And there should be one-button logging TO DISK, time/date stamped files, to a set directory..
Well, well... look what showed up when I built the latest ECU+ Windows software this evening.

Tom
Still the hardest working man in engine management
Attached Thumbnails New features in the last week or so-autocap2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Search this Thread