Notices
Site Feedback / Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Just answer the d@mn question.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just answer the d@mn question.

I've been reading through the forums for a long time, and as I do, threads get wirse and worse. Is this site really to the point where every question in the book has been answered? I see threads titled with a question, then I feel I might have the answer, so I go in and see nothing but these evolved and evolving members telling new people to search next time. Just post after post of flaming about searching. "There should be a search rule." "You should get banned for not searching." So I go to search for myself and can't find a single thread with a definate answer. All I see is plenty of other threads with the same question...but none of them have been answered either. Just more telling the person to search cause the question has been asked hundreds of times before. OK Yes it has been asked many times, BUT HAS ANYONE ANSWERED IT YET? This is big with the engine swap questions. When someone asks, they never get useful info on it, just a "search for it" or "no its not worth it, by a turbo." I am an evolved member and I am on here daily reading up on stuff just so I can have the information. Yet I still have some questions but dare not ask them openly in a thread for I will get flamed because no one wants to answer the question that has been asked many times and still gone unanswered. So just as a suggestion, once someone creates a thread with a question, you might as well answer it because the thread has already been created. It's not just going to disappear because you put your wise knowledge of how to search into it. So for new peoples sake and for anyone who just can't find the answer to their question, please just answer the damn question. This is getting ridiculous.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

there are so many other rambling threads like this... you should have searched...

just kidding. I agree, except repeat threads do get annoying. Valid question should be answered, newbie questions should be FLAMED.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

The thing is, there are posts which are repeats of a question comprehensively answered a thousand times over. And these are so numerous that a number of members, IMO, tend to just glance at posts and if it's something they've seen before they'll just tell you the search. Sometimes they don't fully understand the original post and so incorrectly tell the original poster to search.

I know these are mainly excuses, but please consider that people browse these forums in all sorts of moods and situations.

IMO, I agree with you that somem members are quick to say 'go search'. But it's a problem can only be solved by both a.)those asking the questions (search first) and b.)people who respond to those questions. I mean while it is annoying to have yet another post asking for the stock wheel size, is it so hard to either ignore it or just answer the question?

my 2cents.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

I know exactaly what you mean. As you can see by my join date I am no newbie hear. I seldom post because of the fear of flames. I do read everyday for my own knowledge. I also have searched for answers and had limited succcess finding the actual answers to some questions. If you see a thread that you know has been asked before you have 3 choices
1 answer and be the mentor we need to further the community.
2 be an a$$ and drive away members.
3 say nothing I am sure your mothers all taught you the rule for this.

If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Just my .02
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

yea, it is a lot more difficult to type "the car comes with advan a046's in 235/45/17" than " listen newbie, if you would have spent the time to search, you would have found the answer in a million threads blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blablah blah blah blah blah blahh blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah dont post again until you learn to search!"
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

how to u become a evolving meber,i assume the time you are on the site bit i just dont know?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

OK, I say a new rule for the forum be made: If you would like to "legally" flame someone for a repeat question or one you think is stupid, you must first provide the answer.
For example:
Newbie: "What is the stock wheel size on our cars? I can't find it anywhere and it's raining outside so I don't wanna go out and look."

Other Member: "Well, the stock wheel size for our cars is a 215/50/15. Now if you had searched from the begining you might have found your answer without being flamed for it."

Closed Topic.

That way the Asker gets their answer, the other member gets their flame-fill of the day.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
how to u become a evolving meber,i assume the time you are on the site bit i just dont know?
...you are an evolving member. The more stuff you post, the higher your "member rank" will be.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

thanks man
Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

on problem with searching is the terms and how you searched etc. Also there is no set way to entr ntr enter information etc.

So either would be a cause for not finding the correct information.

one solution would be to provide the link to the answered question in the new post when replying instead of anwsering with a "just search" remark.

and then tell the person to search next time. If enough of the links point to the correct answers then it is more likey when somene searched for the answer that they will come up with at least one post with a link to the answer no matter what crappy search terms they used.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't spend that much time on this forum, but I do spend a considerable amount of time on the subaru forums. Repetitive questions on basic subjects that have been covered since the car first came out get old, and get old quickly. Not only that but it's indicative of someone that unless taught to search is just going to barrage the forum with other stupid questions that have already been beaten to death.

Basically with a lot of posts they're made because someone is too lazy to put the time forth to attempt to help themselves. If someone is unwilling to spend the time to try and figure something out on their own that has been covered time and time again I don't think they deserve any answer other than "search". Why should someone spend the time and effort to help someone that won’t utilize the tools developed to allow them to help themselves? In many situations people will be able to find their answer with a tiny bit of searching much more quickly than they'll get an actual answer to their question. I guess it just comes down to whether or not the person is lazy or not.

Many forums are a great instant resource for information if you want to spend the small amount of time and effort to maximize what you get out of it.
Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GO SEARCH!!! I know what you guys are saying, It would take 3 months to find and pick out an answer from the searching. I don't tell people to search, I help if I know the answer, no matter how many times I have to post the same answer!
Old Apr 28, 2006, 06:46 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
This is a tough subject, one that most forums that are more than a few months old go through. A new member does not have knowledge of what is an obvious question and what isn't. To someone who just signed up, "what offset should 18x8 rims have" may be no more or less obvious than "what would it take to get to 300 awhp". The former could be quickly answered or found in a basic 5 minute search, the latter is likely to start a flame war, but the point is that someone who has been here a year (or 4 in my case) should not have an expectation that a new member will know what has been beaten to death and what hasn't. Even some topics that have been beaten to death never get conclusively answered.

We (admins/mods) expect that when a new member asks a question, it gets answered by those that know the answer or have a qualified opinion (in the case of more subjective questions like tire choice, etc). Members have no obligation to answer the question, but telling someone to search isn't an answer. A good reply to the wheel offset question could be:
I used the search function and found this thread about wheel fitments on Evos... an 18x8 with a 35mm offset will fit properly.
In that manner, the new user gets his answer and realizes he can find out a lot by searching. That is not flaming someone, it's educating. When users throw in insults into the answer, it discourages the user from posting more questions, but may also discourage them from relaying their newfound knowledge or from even coming back to the site, and that's why we don't tolerate it.

In short - answer the question, indicate you found it with the search, but do not flame the new users just because they asked a repetitive question.