Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

SlowBoy Racing Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SlowBoy Racing Review

First off, i dont mean this to come off as a bashing, although some parts may seem like it. After spending so much money (that a college student doesnt have much of), and getting sh*t on, it may show.

Everything started off great with the vendor. I enquired about their 2.4 shortblock, and had an email response within a few hours, from joe, and from marti. Joe called me, so thats who i went through to get things started.

I was told i would get the shortblock for $$$$, then for $$$ more i could get everything i needed to swap the motors and have it runnning. I was told it would take about 3-4 weeks to build. Everything is going great, my phone calls are being returned very promptly, im quite impressed. So, i put the $$$$ down payment down to get it going, and thats that.(8-31)

On the 8th, i call, i have a few questions, so i send Joe an email. He replies back, he will call me, the "proper way to do things." Well, on the 16th, after several emails of being in and out of the office, and oh ill call you later responses, i finally get ahold of him. ME calling HIM.

I finally get my answers (proper break in, oil recommendation, etc.) Joe also tells me my pistons had just gotten there at the beginning of the week, and the motor should be done by friday (18 ) and shipped friday or monday.

So the following thursday i call(9-24), to see whats going on, as my motor was supposed to be there by wednesday at the latest. This time, as i havent been able to talk to Joe because his phone is messed up, and he wont return any of my calls/emails, i talk to marti. Marti tells me they just finished up (a week later then i was told) and it was being wrapped up and ready to ship out.

Meanwhile, the shop my car is sitting at is in the middle of being taken apart, because everything was supposedly supposed to be there. Thankfully the shop owner didnt charge me storage as my parts and car were taking up his space, let alone he was trying to manage other vehicles, while still planning on my car being worked on.

So tuesday i get the shortblock, but have yet to get the timing belt, water pump spacer, etc. So i call marti again, he apologizes, says they forgot to put the stuff in the crate. So the parts get there on thurs or friday. But, no gaskets whatsoever.

At this point, i just buy a new gasket set, as im tired of dealing with them. I sent an email to marti, since he just seemed to blow me off the first time i called. I got no response to the email, so i re-sent it, letting him know that this speaks of his customer service. Never got a phone call, response, etc.

Jump forward to today,the 14, my car is finally getting worked back into the schedule, and my accessories are getting transferred over to my new block, and i dont have enough water pump gaskets(requires 2). So i call and ask marti how many it needs, he tells me two, then said that should have been in my shipment.

I got nothing but the bigger head gasket required for the 4g64 block. He was surprised, saying it shoulve been there. I tell him ive already waited weeks because of them, everything but what was drop shipped from other companies was late, and all he could do was apologize. This was around 4pm, so he said he couldnt even ship the gaskets today, that it would have to be tomorrow, and that it would take a couple days to get to me. Well since its wednesday, that wont be until next week! After i told him i was scheduled to be tuned this saturday, and how this company has done nothing right since they got my money, he said he apologizes, and can do nothing more for me.

Another issue, although im not sure about this, is they have the 2.4 on EvoM for $100 cheaper then what i got it for, even though i told joe i got their name from there, and he told me i was getting the best deal, yada yada. Once again, nothing they can do about that.

I feel like once Slowboy got my money, it was over, and they could care less about me. I spent 3k, and turn around and get screwed over and ignored like this. I will never be doing business with this company again, and will recommend other companies in their place to anyone that asks. I gave them several chances to make things right, yet i either got ignored, or i was told theres nothing they can do. I was led to believe that i would have everything i would need to put the new motor in, and swap everything needed over. This obviously was not true, having to buy all my gaskets.

If anyone doubts anything, i have emails to back up this info, and im sure someone from slowboy will have something to say to try and save face on the boards.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:41 PM

This sucks for you dude, modding your car is supposed to be fun....
Old Oct 14, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

never had a problem with slowboy racing many years ago... but as of late i have seen alot of these type of reviews?? Good luck with everything man
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

I thought they were good until they got my money. Their responses, or lack of, speak volumes for themselves in my opinion.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by NickieBlaine
I thought they were good until they got my money. Their responses, or lack of, speak volumes for themselves in my opinion.

Whats your name? Im just curious who this is...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

damn that sucks. yea i keep hearing problems about slowboy recently too. a few years ago when i built my 2g i dealt with chris boone and i had excellent customer service. i spent over $10,000 with him in just a few weeks. he was a great sales rep do deal with. but unfortunately he moved away and left Slowboy.

after i got my evo, a year later, i called up and bought a few things from someone else and had several problems with them and will no longer do business with them ever again!!!

i specifically asked if they had certain parts in stock and would they ship the next day. after they guaranteed me that they would i placed the order and received individual parts through out the next two weeks because they were NOT in stock as they stated!!!
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SBR INC
Whats your name? Im just curious who this is...
come on man...how many people bout 2.4s in the last few weeks?!?!?!?!?!
i think you should know who it is
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:43 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Ginglingston11
come on man...how many people bout 2.4s in the last few weeks?!?!?!?!?!
i think you should know who it is

about 9 in the last month to be honest, i wasnt aware of anything being an issue with any of them. To the OP, shoot me a PM, im sure you dont want to reveal your identity to the world.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:58 PM
Account Disabled

you can move but you cant change the name
Old Oct 14, 2009, 04:59 PM

wow. Good luck man. If i was Slowboy I would definitely what to do something to help you out now. At least give you some sort of discount or something.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you cant paint all of slowboy with the same brush, just the person you were dealing with.
Unless of course slowboy is 1 person.

I was looking into their kits... let us know how things get settled...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

...........................And their reputation remains the same after the move

Last edited by Gordian79; Oct 14, 2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well let me explain my story and i am pretty sure marti will know who i am. I talk to them back and forth about doing a clutch job on my car. I was going to take it to mike at awdmotorsports but i live in jacksonville and he is in miami so thats a pretty far drive for me. Well I drop of the car to them and they said ok this will take no more than 5 hours so i am like ok thats fine. Drop it off and i stay there waiting since i had nothing else to do. This is where the problems start

First they had told me that they were going to install the act mb7-hdss with act flywheel. I did some research and told them that i wanted to go the 6 puck sprug clutch kit instead just to be safe and hold the power. They wrote back to me that, thats fine they will install that one. I am waiting in the shop for 6 hours before they come out and tell me that they dont even have the flywheel in stock. So im like i wish i would of know this earlier. Now i am stuck in orlando an extra day when i had to work the next day. Turns out they installed the mb7-hdss because marti said that the 6 puck splines would not match up with my car? How would that clutch not match up.

Go back the next day now, and I am there for another 5 hours waiting for them to finish. One salesman comes back and tells me since they didnt have the act flywheel in stock that they put in the fidanza flywheel and he told me that it would be at no extra charge. So im thinking ok thats fine. I go to check out and get my keys and all and marti tells me "well the owner says that i will have to charge you for the flywheel at dealers cost" at that point i was so upset i was like whatever just give me my car. I try to get in contact with marti to see what the deal was and he wont even reply back to me. very bad buisness. They say they have the best prices around but i have talked to alot of other vendors and they all told me i overpaid for the job. If you dont remember me marti i will expose my name on evom i dont care. Just stop giving people the runaround and do whats right.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man thats bad news.. I usually deal with slowboy for my 2g stuff and have nothing but good things to say about there shipping and prices but that was before they moved....

I duno How much you paid, but AWDMotorsports gave me a great price on my clutch install with fidanza wheel... Hope things work out for the OP and is please with the parts otherwise...
Old Oct 14, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

ouch.... I heard a couple people got let go from there?

Quick Reply: SlowBoy Racing Review