Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

AMSOIL DOT4 Brake Fluid - Track Review!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMSOIL DOT4 Brake Fluid - Track Review!

Name:  AMSOIL_Brakes006.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  64.9 KB
I've been tracking my car for about 3.5 years now. I've got about 35 or so events under my belt. I've went through 3 sets of rotors, 5 sets of front pads, countless nights of brake bleeds, multiple brake fluid flushes, etc. I've had weekends with a solid pedal, a spongy pedal, I've cut session short because of hot fluid and even went off track because of boiled fluid and a total and complete loss of brakes.
I'll detail out the changes I've made over the years, what has worked, what hasn't and where I'm at now. Probably way more detail than is needed, but hopefully it will come in handy for someone.
Bottom line; just switched to AMSOIL DOT4 fluid and loving it!

• Stock fluid
  • Stock pads
  • Stock rotors
I started very stock. Stock brakes and stock suspension with 305whp. I ran stock everything really - with just an exhaust and AMS Tune. Just learning how to make my way around the track. I slowly moved to an aggressive street pad in the front - PFZ's (Performance Friction Z Pads).

• Motul fluid
  • PF Z / PFC01 front pads
  • 255 RA1's
At this point I flushed out the stock fluid to run Motul brake fluid. Other upgrades included some some Swift springs and a RSB to help it turn, RA1's and a retune for 315whp. Braking was much more consistent with the fluid and better pads. Late 2007 I again needed new pads so I stuck with the PF line and went with PFC01's which is a track-only pad I would switch in for track weekends. WOW; what a difference. I had to relearn how to drive the car as it was very easy to bring ABS into play. Overall, the PFC01's might have been too aggressive for me. I usually had a good pedal, but it would get spongy for me toward the end of 20-30min sessions on some tracks. I figured it was normal.

• Motul fluid
  • Hawk DTC60 pads
  • Goodridge SS lines
  • SP Performance front slotted rotors (rear stock)
  • Front Ti backing shims
  • Forge Air Cooling Ducts
  • 255 NT01's
Lots of upgrades. Full coilovers, 255 NT01's for tires. Car weighed in at 3400lbs in April. Brakewise I switched to hawk DTC60's and added a bunch of other goodies. I started running TT (Time Trial) events to definitely running the car harder. I had several events where I would feel a spongy pedal, so I'd back off and run some cooldown laps to be safe. I accelerated my brake bleeding to after every weekend event. Almost always had a little air coming out of the fronts.

• Motul fluid - (through July/2009)
  • AMSOIL DOT4 fluid - (as of Aug/2009)
  • Hawk DTC60 pads
  • Goodridge SS lines
  • 'Blank' replacement front rotors (rear stock)
  • Front Ti backing shims
  • Forge Air Cooling Ducts
  • 245 Hoosier R6
Pulled the car down to ~3280lbs and running either 310whp or 350whp depending on the event. I started trailoring the car this year as well, and that means I'm pushing it that much harder with the confidence of towing it home...just in case.
Mid-year I had a few offs because of boiled fluid. I think this was partially due to lack of airflow in the routing of my forge cooling ducts. But I really think the Motul should have handled it. One of these was a very scary departure where I left the track at 94mph (via traqmate) and was just fortunate there was enough runoff to slide to a stop.
I switched the car to AMSOIL engine oil. See thread HERE for more info. I also learned they had a DOT4 brake fluid that was similar to Motul. Since I had some issues already with losing my brakes and/or a soft pedal and the constant need to bleed, I figured I'd give it a shot as the specs were very similar. So I called up our local forum expert - Andy (apagan01) on the forums - and placed an order.

My first event with the AMSOIL DOT4 fluid was last weekend at BlackHawk Farms Raceway in Northern IL - nearly Wisconsin. Blackhawk is known as a brutal track on the brakes so it was going to be a great test. It was also forecasted to be around 95+ with a heat index of 105+.
Not once the entire weekend did I have an issue with the pedal. I ran full 15-20min sessions (4-5 per day) and I ran them hard. I would have usually had a slightly soft pedal and would have spent Sat evening bleeding the brakes - but I didn't bother. Instead just had a and relaxed.

Stay tuned for a detailed review on the install/flush process and my first track weekend.

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 13, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Details on brake fluid flushing/bleeding and pics!

There's a few nice writeups in the how-to section on this. I definitely recommend checking those out for the best methods. If you have specific questions; just post up here and I'll see if I can help. There's multiple ways to flush/bleed including the 2-person pedal method, sucking fluid out with a hand-held device or pushing fluid out with a power bleeder. I use the latter; a Motive Power Bleeder (below). It puts constant pressure on the brake system so it's a 1-person job. Just need your catch container and an 11mm wrench. Please please don't try to make a 7/16" work as you'll eventually round off the bleeder nipples...ask me how I know.

Name:  AMSOIL_Brakes004.jpg
Size:  66.8 KB

Pictured below is the RR tire. You can see the catchcan (aka a soda bottle with plastic tubing in it) present and the tubing connected to one of the bleeder valves. The nipple has been loosened and with the pressure on the system from the Motive Power Bleeder, the fluid runs right out. If you're just bleeding the system, you don't need to release much really. However if you see any air bubbles; keep bleeding until NONE are left.

Name:  AMSOIL_Brakes005.jpg
Size:  69.3 KB

In the past when I used Motul fluid, I would always have air bubbles in the both of the fronts. Also the first bit of fluid would be a darker brown color. If you see any of this, make sure to run it ALL out. In July when I lost my brakes completely after boiling my Motul fluid, I had to run 1.5 bottles through the front brakes just to get rid of the air bubbles.

Lastly, make sure to be clean. Brake cleaner works great to dry up everything and then wipe down your calipers and the floor if needed. Make sure to not get any fluid in your eyes, I hear it's rather painful. Also keep all fluid away from your paint, I think it'll eat it. It's not a tough job at all.

Lastly, here's a current shot of my RF rotor and caliper. They've both got some life on them.
Name:  Brakes_005.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 14, 2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 03:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nathan you are in good hands with the AMSOIL Racing Brake fluid DOT 600

As the brake system heats up, brake fluids with low boiling points begin to vaporize. The brake pedal must travel further to apply the same amount of force on the brakes, causing a spongy feeling. If enough of the brake fluid vaporizes, brake system failure may occur. Brake fluid boiling points are measured on two separate scales:

Dry equilibrium reflux boiling point (ERBP) - the boiling point of new, freshly-opened, unused fluid.
Wet ERBP - the boiling point of a brake fluid after it has absorbed three percent water.
AMSOIL Series 600 DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid is formulated with the best zinc-based anti-corrosion additives and pH stabilizers. It is designed for high-temperature stability, yet flows easily at low temperatures
Old Aug 15, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yet again another example of the greatness of AMSOIL!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoEvo
Yet again another example of the greatness of AMSOIL!
Yes it is.. The AMSOIL Products have never let me down and I have used them for over 30 years now.

Superior Products, Superior Company and Superior Performance..... Hands Down !

LG
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Liquid Gold
Yes it is.. The AMSOIL Products have never let me down and I have used them for over 30 years now.

Superior Products, Superior Company and Superior Performance..... Hands Down !

LG
How old are you? 60?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

FANTASTIC WRITE-UP! great info, thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by derangedazn
How old are you? 60?
59 1/2 LOL

No I am not 60.. Getting up there in the B-Days but still having fun. Love what I do for a living and it gives me an opportunity to do something else I love which is ride my Motorcycle. It is just 2 yrs old and has over 36,000 miles on it.

LG
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boomn29
Details on brake fluid flushing/bleeding and pics!

There's a few nice writeups in the how-to section on this. I definitely recommend checking those out for the best methods. If you have specific questions; just post up here and I'll see if I can help. There's multiple ways to flush/bleed including the 2-person pedal method, sucking fluid out with a hand-held device or pushing fluid out with a power bleeder. I use the latter; a Motive Power Bleeder (below). It puts constant pressure on the brake system so it's a 1-person job. Just need your catch container and an 11mm wrench. Please please don't try to make a 7/16" work as you'll eventually round off the bleeder nipples...ask me how I know.

Pictured below is the RR tire. You can see the catchcan (aka a soda bottle with plastic tubing in it) present and the tubing connected to one of the bleeder valves. The nipple has been loosened and with the pressure on the system from the Motive Power Bleeder, the fluid runs right out. If you're just bleeding the system, you don't need to release much really. However if you see any air bubbles; keep bleeding until NONE are left.

In the past when I used Motul fluid, I would always have air bubbles in the both of the fronts. Also the first bit of fluid would be a darker brown color. If you see any of this, make sure to run it ALL out. In July when I lost my brakes completely after boiling my Motul fluid, I had to run 1.5 bottles through the front brakes just to get rid of the air bubbles.

Lastly, make sure to be clean. Brake cleaner works great to dry up everything and then wipe down your calipers and the floor if needed. Make sure to not get any fluid in your eyes, I hear it's rather painful. Also keep all fluid away from your paint, I think it'll eat it. It's not a tough job at all.

Lastly, here's a current shot of my RF rotor and caliper. They've both got some life on them.

Dam Nathan, those brakes have been thrue some heat cycles
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Dam Nathan, those brakes have been thrue some heat cycles
Yes, yes they have. I've been through a lot of brake fluid flushes and bleeds as well. I just ordered another set of rotors (from KNS Brakes) for backup as well.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:31 AM
Account Disabled

Yes, yes they have. I've been through a lot of brake fluid flushes and bleeds as well. I just ordered another set of rotors (from KNS Brakes) for backup as well.
keep us posted
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Had another day on track this weekend with the AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid. Had to hotlap the car a bit as I was instructing for the SCCA and had to do some customer ride-alongs as well. Brakes held up perfectly even though it was warm enough to get my tires very very greasy (Hoosier R6's; with a lotta heat cycles).

Tossed on some new 1-piece rotors tonight. Here's a pic of my old rotors vs a new one.
Name:  929002.jpg
Size:  68.9 KB

I also took the opportunity to replace one of my Brembo calipers while I was at it. Here's a pic of one of my original calipers vs a nearly new one I picked up.
Name:  929010.jpg
Size:  62.7 KB
Old Sep 8, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Had another track weekend - a 3 day event this time. Brakes performed flawlessly.

Normally I would bleed the brakes somewhere in the middle, but with the AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid, I have not had the need to bleed excessively. That's a real time saver! I'm not sure if it takes on less moisture or what.

I really feel the AMSOIL DOT4 brake fluid gives me a stiffer pedal than the Motul that I used to use. Because of that, I find it easier to modulate towards threshold braking and not use ABS. That might sound weird, but it's resulted in much smoother braking zones on the track, less tire scrubbing and ultimately better corner speeds and lower overall times. A good setup makes the driver confident and that confidence allows you to push the car harder.
Thanks again for turning me onto a great product!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Great review! I run the same fluid, but you're DEF pushing the car harder then I ever will...at least at this point in it's life!

Any recommendations in regards to a good street pad set up? Something that'll stop you when you need it to no matter what.

-Jalal
Old Sep 8, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Great review! I run the same fluid, but you're DEF pushing the car harder then I ever will...at least at this point in it's life!

Any recommendations in regards to a good street pad set up? Something that'll stop you when you need it to no matter what.

-Jalal
Glad I can help!

Before I went to a track dedicated pad, I ran PF Z pads which are Performance Friction Z rated pads. I liked them. I actually used them for both DD, and DE events when I was first starting. They didn't squeal at all, and fading wasn't bad (I was running upgraded fluid already). That's all I've used.

I moved onto track-only pads after those...

Quick Reply: AMSOIL DOT4 Brake Fluid - Track Review!