Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

Import Image Racing + BC Racing "ER" Series Coilovers for EVO IX MR *no 56k*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Import Image Racing + BC Racing "ER" Series Coilovers for EVO IX MR *no 56k*

First, I'd like to start off by saying, that I recently got into doing Autocross and Track days. A few of my Evo buddies from around here got me into it, and I love it..
It is so much fun to go out there and drive this car the way it was meant to be driven.

With that said, They had quite a few more events under their belt than I do.
Yesterday was my 4th event.
The first 3 Auto-X's I did were last year, and although it was alot of fun, I was slow but I'm learning and getting better every run.
When I did my first event, I could have gone into Novice but I went straight into the SM (Street Modified) class with all the big boys in fully prepped Sti's/Evos/etc.
I figured, It's the only way I can get better, faster, is to go into the higher classes.
Well, it was fun, but I ended up in last place in my class for the 3 events I had done prior to getting these coilovers.
I had all the other mods I needed to go fast but I felt that having no coilovers was holding me back.

A local evo buddy of mine (06MREvo) that is very fast in autocross had just gotten a set of the BC Racing "BR" series coilovers and he raved about how good they felt and how much faster they made him.
He is consistently in the top 1-2-3 in his class every event, and very close to FTD every time..
So he told me about JOSH from Import Image Racing and to give him a call.
I was going to get the "BR" series but I was told about the NEW "ER" series coilovers that BC racing was developing and figured I would give them a try.
They have the External reservoir just like the higher $ coilover setups like KW/Ohlins/HKS/Cusco/Etc.
30 way adjustable with seperate rebound and dampening knobs to fine tune all aspects of the coilover.
Upper Pillowball mounts and Easy Camber Adjustment.
Top Adjustment knob is for dampening and the Rebound adjustment is on the external reservoir, which makes for an easy change if you need it.

So I called JOSH and he quoted me a great price for these "NEW" CO's.
So good of a price that I really couldn't believe it..
He was so helpful in getting me the right setup for my particular car..
Most shops/vendors are just out to make $ and thats it.
He was more interested in giving me the best possible service at an unbeatable low price.

I ended up going with the 10k/10k rates to give me a good balance between the Street and Track.
Fast forward 2 weeks and I come home to find the new Coilovers sitting at my door when I came home from work.
A few days later I took my car and the new parts to a friend's shop that does alignments and had them put my new Coilovers on and set my car up on the alignment machine.
A few hours later my car had the new setup on and aligned..
I took the car out for a few minutes just to see how it rode and let me tell you..
My first impression was quite surprising in that, It rode better and smoother than my oem HD Bilstein's with only 6-7000 miles on them.

After taking it home and adjusting the ride height a bit, I threw my A048 R-comps on for the 1st points event for the 2009 SC region SCCA Autocross.
Previously I was always at the back of the pack in the last 3 events I had done.
Yesterday, Out of 15 people in my class, I ended up in 5th place, beating out other Evo's and Sti's and other track prepped cars that were consistently faster than me in every event and every run..
We only got 4 runs because so many cars were entered (154 total) and I got faster every run I did..
First run was 52.213 sec. So I changed my camber a bit more and upped my tire psi. and my last run was 46.332 shaving almost 7 seconds off my first run.
Before My time difference between runs was only 3-4 secs. not almost 7 secs.
I immediately noticed that my car corners alot flatter and harder now and turn in was much more sharp and precise than my previous oem Bilstein setup..
I can brake much later and get on the gas much sooner than I ever could before, because of the better handling.
Even though I did not win a trophy, I feel that with this new setup, And some tweaks to the settings, I can already tell that I will be alot more competitive in this class, and with some much needed seat time, I feel that I could possibly move up my position quite a bit in the upcoming season.
Once I get it all dialed in and setup for my liking.

So now on to the pics..
This is how they came:

Fit and finish was perfect.. They look like much higher $ coilover setups, for half the price..
The External reservoir sits nicely behind the shock and the Steel braided hose clears the body and brakes, etc, nicely.. with no rubbing on anything....

Install pics.

After install I did not adjust ride height cuz i wanted to see how it looked first.
This is straight from the box, no adjustment made.
As you can see it is pretty slammed.. lol

Well, it was way too low, so I had to adjust the height so I wouldn't tear off all my CF parts on potholes and low driveways..
Adjustment was very easy to do..
Jacked the car up, removed wheels and unlocked lower locking ring and loosened the External reservoir clamps and then spun the shafts CC to raise it up a bit..
Did all 4 sides + Tightened everything back up.
Put tires back on and used my digi camber guage to get the settings back to within spec.
I'm sure i'll play with the height a bit more to get it just right..

This is how it is now..
Still pretty low but I can get into places better.
I need to raise it up just a bit more..
255/40/17 A048 R-comps had no rubbing, even in hard turns on the course.

In conclusion, I could not be happier with my new Coilover setup and know that I can compete with the best setup cars out there..
If you want great service and great parts, call JOSH from Import Image Racing and he will hook you up.
If they ever need replacing, it only costs 100$ and they give you a whole new coilover, instead of sending in your coil and having them refresh it for twice the cost if not more..
If you want more springs to customize the handling, Different spring rates can also be had for 65$ for a set of 2 springs.
(Front Or Rear)
Where else can you get that kind of service for that kind of $?
I also got free rear extenders so I dont have to remove the trunk carpet every time I need to adjust the rears.

Thanks to JOSH @ Import Image Racing and PETE from BC Racing-NA..
First class service all the way..
You won't find better customer service and prices than this.

Sorry This is so long, I just had to put all my thoughts down while it was still fresh in my mind.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow man, great write up! car looks really good, for your first time out and vs that competition it leads me to belive you have a good set on there

josh
Old Mar 9, 2009, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool write up, those coils look pretty impressive.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:10 AM
Evolved Member

What is all that underneath your car.. WOW!!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:34 AM
Evolving Member

nice review. which spring was on the hd bilstein you had?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Got my BC's BR (NON-Inverted) from Import Image ages ago. Great Service.

I like that ER series set-up. I gotta order new cartridges from BC for my BR's. I cant complain though 65k I put on them driving crappy NJ/PA roads. $390 for all 4 new cartridges
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm curious what the purchase price was on these in comparison to say the KW's or Stance GR+3's.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
http://www.importimageracing.com/mm5...egory_Code=492
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thx gsrboi

Originally Posted by Redline06
What is all that underneath your car.. WOW!!
CUSCO POWER BRACES

JXS = I had the TEin H-Tech's on there with Cusco Camber plates

Last edited by SICK9; Mar 9, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I love all that bracing! I just ordered a Carbing 6-point bar today.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

thx kracka
It really stiffens up the whole chassis/body..
Minimizes flex in hard cornering.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

get to anymore events with them?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Next event for me is April 18th..
I've been slowly getting the settings all dialed in to where i like it.

thanks Josh.
Any word on the Seat sliders?
And can you make it so there is no signature required on delivery..
makes it really hard for me.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:30 PM

loooks good man! drives like a charm im sure!
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bump for a pretty badass write up Jamie and also for mentioning my name in it...haha...yeah Josh is a good guy and has always given me pretty good prices on stuff...rear sway bar, endlinks, fuel pump, etc...Looking forward to the next event...

Quick Reply: Import Image Racing + BC Racing "ER" Series Coilovers for EVO IX MR *no 56k*