Notices
Vendor Service / Parts / Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Please note all new threads are moderated.

the new ADVAN NEOVA AD08 - Track Tested

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking the new ADVAN NEOVA AD08 - Track Tested

Just about a week after our Super Lap Battle win I had a chance to test out the new Yokohama Advan Neova AD08's, on a road course none the less. The Yokohama PR guys were telling me to expect faster lap times with these new tires, so I was eager to try them out. My pick was 265/35/18's, I always try to run that size, even for competition.

Initial inspection of the tires, I noticed a brand new carcass, new grooves & softer rubber (just digging my nails into it, no real science here). I was surprised how deep the grooves were, that has to help day-to-day driving in different climates & environments.

We left the tires at full tread & didn't shave them to get a more realistic gauge of their performance since most guys out there don't shave their tires for street use. The drive up to the Las Vegas Motor Speedway was very nice, the tires felt very good in normal street traffic & highway use, not extremely loud or anything like that.

Its been over 6-7 years since I drove out at the LVMS infeild road course, infact, that was the road course I got my NASA competition license at. So I knew the track, but it had been a long time. We pulled up early a.m. & saw lots of Yokohama presence there, lots of big rigs with logos all over, flags waving in the wind, lots of cars with Advan stickers on them.

Not many people around at first, it was too early. But since this was the International press release of the brand new Advan tire, lots of people started showing up soon enough. Myself & JC Meynet (time attack driver) were there to give hot lap ride-alongs for the press, we were encouraged to drive wild & give the members of the press a 'memorable experience'. So I set the car up extremely loose the night before, hoping to drive more sideways than actually trying to put down some serious lap times. I was planning on just having fun!

Coming from the AD07's & competing with those just the week before, I knew I had a wish-list for these new tires, on top off that list was sustainable hi-level grip. See, the AD07's produced very high grip, but only for a short amount of time, then they would fall off. Usually I would have only 1 hotlap per session on the AD07's, only 1 optimum lap, then I had to come in & let tires cool down for sometime.

I can tell you right now, with the AD08's that problem is now solved. I can now drive 10/10th's laps without the worry of the tires falling off so quickly. The AD08's actually drive like R-Comps, they actually got grippier as I put heat into them. So first impression of the tires yield much higher grip, but more importantly also for alot longer than the AD07's. I was beating the hell out of these tires & they loved it! they wanted more!

what an improvement on an already dominating tire! ....just amazing. This tire alone with nothing else changed to my car will dip me well into the 1:54-55's, maybe even the 53's at Buttonwillow (cw13)... yes, that is pure speculation, but well educated speculation

So here is a lil video I made to show you the abuse the tires take, 2 laps of over-driving goodness.. trying to scare a member of the japanese automotive press....

ADVAN NEOVA AD08 INCAR VIDEO

Click here if you want to read up on some of the technical mumbo jumbo of this amazing tire.

I want to thank Brandon & Mikey for giving us a helping hand, with out you guys my day would have been ruined. Also want to thank all the guys over at Yokohama, they have truly given me awsome support over the year, I look forward to 2009 & the new AD08 street tire... it's going to be a good year.

Last edited by nils; Dec 7, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

nils, that looks like a fun ride!!
those tires look very promising for next year.
good luck
Old Dec 6, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

good review! sounds like these will be a great choice from the dunlop star specs that everyone likes in auto-x.

did you get wind of prices?????
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nils

I want to thank Brandon & Mikey for giving us a helping hand, with out you guys my day would have been ruined. Also want to thank all the guys over at Yokohama, they have truly given me awsome support over the year, I look forward to 2009 & the new AD08 street tire... it's going to be a good year.

No problem buddy! Thanks for the hookup
Cant wait for the fun to start next year, and I think you guys helped Em's decision in wanting a S2000 now
Old Dec 6, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Nils, whats the tread wear on these? 100,140...?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Comparatively how would they be against the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs ?
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

If the AD08's are priced to compete with the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, we may just have new Price/Performance winner.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bchappy
No problem buddy! Thanks for the hookup
Cant wait for the fun to start next year, and I think you guys helped Em's decision in wanting a S2000 now

nice.... i luv s2k's...
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by o-townFLA
Hey Nils, whats the tread wear on these? 100,140...?
like the old neovas....

180tw
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Comparatively how would they be against the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs ?
They are faster & more expensive.... the AD08's are the fastest street tires out there.. period.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exciting, didn't think they'd already have testing go on so soon since the expected release was mid 2009.

So nils, how soon can we expect to see these avaible for purchase? I'll be wanting some 255/40R17's for sure for my soon to be coming Buddy Club QF's .
Old Dec 7, 2008, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mitchubishi
Exciting, didn't think they'd already have testing go on so soon since the expected release was mid 2009.

So nils, how soon can we expect to see these avaible for purchase? I'll be wanting some 255/40R17's for sure for my soon to be coming Buddy Club QF's .

oooooo.. those are some fancy wheels, I actually thought about buying a set of those

I think I heard 2nd quarter of 2009 is slated for nationwide release... but not sure.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 09:06 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks good man.... we are waiting on some "special" tires from the Advan guys

I was curious how these would do... we have a client that will be running on them in 2009

cb
Old Dec 7, 2008, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

thx... !

the special tires are incredible... they blister in 2-3 laps ... hard to get though & I dont think they are allowed in MOD class.. but with new RL rules who knows now that full on slicks are allowed in unlimited...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 04:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Great pix and write-up!

Quick Reply: the new ADVAN NEOVA AD08 - Track Tested