Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

TSComptuned 2014 on going build thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
TSComptuned 2014 on going build thread

New setup for 2014. Mod list below & Build pics when I assembled the vehicle.

(I removed the written text here because It was going to much off topic to my personal car).

Final Pics of build:

Internal Engine Assembly (Engine Block):

Internal Engine Assembly (Cylinder Head):

Misc Final Assembly:

The goal for this build is a 150mph+ trap speed with 3200lb weight.

Thanks for checking my build out!

Last edited by tscompusa; May 27, 2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Build Progress Status: 100% Complete.

Last edited by tscompusa; Dec 26, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Retaining A/C?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Build!!! Awesome Quality!!!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa

So the main reason I chose a 2.4 over a 2.4LR here was because I didn't want the engine to "consume" any oil. Steve / 5leeperisah's engine consumes no oil. not a drop. From 500 mile round trips racing and back it doesn't move the oil level on the dipstick, so thats what convinced me to do a standard 2.4 with a taller FD.

I contribute this to not having to use stroker pistons, which as most know, push the wrist pin 6mm up and interfere with the oiling control of the piston. My old engine consumed a good amount of oil, and i didn't want to deal with that again on this one. A lot of that may have been because the internals were from 2008, but i had my mind set on a 2.4 this time so thats the route i took.
I just finished reading yours, and just about every 2.2LR build thread I could find over the weekend, this is the first bit that stood out to me on oil consumption. How much oil were you consuming with the stroker pistons, and is it enough to discourage daily driving?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I figured you would post a build thread soon with all the pics you have been posting on Facebook, looks good Tom!
Old Dec 3, 2013, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Great work car will fly
Old Dec 3, 2013, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Looks sweet. I'm sure she is going to move!

Do you run balance shafts?
Old Dec 3, 2013, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evoforstevo
Retaining A/C?
No. AC has been out for awhile now. I dont know if AC can be kept with this kit or not, but I dont use AC so i removed it when i had the FP Black.

Originally Posted by Evoloved
Nice Build!!! Awesome Quality!!!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by dr_latino999
I just finished reading yours, and just about every 2.2LR build thread I could find over the weekend, this is the first bit that stood out to me on oil consumption. How much oil were you consuming with the stroker pistons, and is it enough to discourage daily driving?
It isn't really a big deal as long as you know better to monitor the fluid levels.

Originally Posted by 06MREvo
I figured you would post a build thread soon with all the pics you have been posting on Facebook, looks good Tom!
Thanks B.J! Ya im very impressed with the turbo kit quality. Its so nice. I decided to use my own return and feed and couplers, but other then that it fits like a glove even with 6mm taller deck height, and was actually fun to install unlike the stock turbo, which is not fun to install at all

Originally Posted by brett@evogb
Great work car will fly
I hope so! Thanks.

Originally Posted by turbotboz
Looks sweet. I'm sure she is going to move!

Do you run balance shafts?
No they are eliminated. I use the OEM Mitsubishi stubby shaft.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I see you're not using adjustable cam gears. How are you dealing with the added deck height and the camshaft timing?
Old Dec 4, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great work man! Can't wait to see more updates
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by J_Striker
I see you're not using adjustable cam gears. How are you dealing with the added deck height and the camshaft timing?
You just use the stock gears and a evo 8/9 timing belt and either retard or advance a half tooth. whichever way you want the powerband to go.

It comes out almost perfect. I choose to advance it. Its how Sleepers is done also.

Originally Posted by Evosick2332
Great work man! Can't wait to see more updates
Thanks Joey! Right now im having a hard time getting the return line to route so i can keep it away from the downpipe. I just ordered new aeroquip socketless hose and fittings. in order to keep it from hitting i have to lengthen the hose, because they don't make a 90 deg bend tight enough for it to do what i was hoping to do.

I also got a bunch of DEI wrapping stuff to keep heat off the line. hopefully its ok.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what water pump did you go with? i originally used a 2.0 water pump. i have my motor out and was thinking of switching to the 03 outlander pump. i know it fits but im not sure how well the water pipe fits since the neck of the pump is like a half inch longer of the outlander.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 06:23 PM

Just curious..... doesn't the Cosworth MLS have built in fire rings/orings similar to the Fel-Pro Perma-Torque and HKS to name a couple? If so, you are not suppose to run an oring head or block correct? I just did this exact build today with same Cosworth gasket and I'm 99% sure it has the built in fire ring/oring. Correct me if I am wrong and if I am I apologize.

******Just look it up and yes it does have the stopper ring. I tried this before with a o-ringed block and it destroyed my head surface FYI.*****

Last edited by 1slow93turbo; Dec 10, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 03:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by silver9mr
what water pump did you go with? i originally used a 2.0 water pump. i have my motor out and was thinking of switching to the 03 outlander pump. i know it fits but im not sure how well the water pipe fits since the neck of the pump is like a half inch longer of the outlander.
Stock with MAP spacer like on Steves. No issues with his at all. If the outlander pump works id say do it!

Originally Posted by 1slow93turbo
Just curious..... doesn't the Cosworth MLS have built in fire rings/orings similar to the Fel-Pro Perma-Torque and HKS to name a couple? If so, you are not suppose to run an oring head or block correct? I just did this exact build today with same Cosworth gasket and I'm 99% sure it has the built in fire ring/oring. Correct me if I am wrong and if I am I apologize.

******Just look it up and yes it does have the stopper ring. I tried this before with a o-ringed block and it destroyed my head surface FYI.*****
If your head surface got destroyed it was because something else was wrong. The orings didn't cause that. I know a lot of people running Oring heads with MLS gaskets and no issues.

Quick Reply: TSComptuned 2014 on going build thread