Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IV build sleeper

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinups
you should be able to get that on a stock bottom end
My bottm end is stock
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by GregM
I'm making that on a stock bottom end @ 20psi
My bottom end is stock on18psi
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by flabber
Evo 4 to 8 carry the same 4663 block , just putting it out there . So finding a block shouldnt b that hard , but nice build cant wait for the end results .
actually the 4 block is slightly different then the 5-8 blocks hence there is always the dreaded crank float on the 4's when adding power. Not always but people always worry about it... ask the guys on lancerregister about it.... thats why 4 blocks are cheap and for sale always on trademe...
Old Jun 7, 2013, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by joyce1bro
actually the 4 block is slightly different then the 5-8 blocks hence there is always the dreaded crank float on the 4's when adding power. Not always but people always worry about it... ask the guys on lancerregister about it.... thats why 4 blocks are cheap and for sale always on trademe...
This is true thanks joyce, and my previous engine did suffer just that so have decided to look for a evo 5onward block offered evo 9 block and cradle 950nzd but will surely find a evo 5 or6 block cheaper then that i recieved my eagle conrods, je pistons and crankshaft today and evo 9 oil pump should be here next week. Crankwalk is thrustbearing failure for those wanting to no. The fixed this in evo 5 upward by making the thrust bearings 3 pieces were evo 4 is a one piece bearings.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by damien666
This is true thanks joyce, and my previous engine did suffer just that so have decided to look for a evo 5onward block offered evo 9 block and cradle 950nzd but will surely find a evo 5 or6 block cheaper then that i recieved my eagle conrods, je pistons and crankshaft today and evo 9 oil pump should be here next week. Crankwalk is thrustbearing failure for those wanting to no. The fixed this in evo 5 upward by making the thrust bearings 3 pieces were evo 4 is a one piece bearings.

contact doug at speedtech nz they will give you the advise you need,
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:58 AM

Thanks pinups
Old Jun 8, 2013, 06:02 AM

Ill have to wait to put my dyno graph up cant seem toupad with my phone. Had to replace steering rack boot again today was split, happend a couple times nw.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:50 PM

My dyno results before and after

Evo IV build sleeper-damien-evo-4-18psi-final-tune.jpg
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:20 AM

df

Last edited by damien666; Jun 17, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:41 AM

Ok so there is an evo 8 block for sale for 750nzd including cradle and in mint condition so I am going to jump at that, have forged je pistons, eagle forged conrods, crankshaft, evo 9 oil pump with balance shaft removed and stub shaft added, hks head bolts, using my spare cylinder head for rebuild with big bore oversized zero-tick lifters and evo 5 cams interesting as evo 5 6 cams are actually are a healthy upgrade for an evo 4. Evo 5 6 7 cams are 260 degrees of duration on the inlet cam and 256 degrees of duration on the exhaust cam and both cams have 10.0mm of lift.But the evo 7 cam being hollow has the advantageof being half the weight of an evo 4 5 or 6 cam and you'll get into your ideal rev range quicker.
I was going to get 264 inlet and 256 exhaust regrinds but there would be no point as the ground cams would be twice theweight.
If get evo 7 cams have to get also cam angle sensor and crank trigger, from what I understand even evo 5 or 6 cams would be an upgrade and wont have to change anything sensors wise, I scored set of evo 5 cams trade me for 20nzd cant beat that value.
Evo 4 cams have 252degrees of duration and 9.5mm of lift for both inlet and exhaust cams.

Will get block this week.

Then get it into acid bath straight away longer the better.
Then just need to get 1 more je piston. Bearings Rings, bottom end gasket and seal kit, water pump, thrusts, main stud kit, hone and resurface block, then get onto doing the head. So can get this engine in although my engine in now has done 140,000kms now making 205kw atw, no detonation or knock, on 18psi reliable daily driver not even the slightest lifter tick and has standard lifters.

They say if aint broken don't fix but with an evo 4 block im too worried to push it anymore so out its going to come.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 02:42 AM

Also still have factory exhaust manifold and downpipe, so good upgrade there when get aftermarket ones, also need to bore inside of standard throttle body will open the response right up too.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:11 AM

okey dokey fresh update... really need to get some more pics up I know sorry guys..

Evo 8 Forged Block is being rebuilt right now
Acid wash complete
JE Pistons
Genuine Mitsubishi Big End & Main Bearings
Thrust Washers
Ring Set
ARP Main Stud Kit
Bottom End Gasket & Seal Kit
New Water Pump
Bore & Hone Block
Surface Finish Block
Modified evo 9 oil pump (Balance shaft removed, stump shaft added)
evo 9 crank standard journals
Eagle Conrods

Also Purchased a rebuilt standard evo 7 head for it, very mint like brand new, and evo 7 cams a good upgrade on a evo 4 as more degree of lift and they are hollow cams so half the weight should get a lot more mid range power out of it and get to boost a lot quicker. May get cams ground yet humming and harring about it.

Should be ready to do transplant in a week or so so very excited!!! Def looking for atleast 300kw+ this time am going to put aftermarket extractors and dump pipe on it, port out throttle body, getting 1000cc injectors for it and of course back on the dyno she goes.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:17 PM

few picks of the build so far will start putting together tomorrow waiting on one more piston to show up.

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-384-1-.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-385-1-.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-475-1-.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-476-1-.jpg

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-477-1-.jpg
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:18 PM

Evo IV build sleeper-ipad-photos-478-1-.jpg

Have decided to buy everything needed first instead of doing turbo and what not later on

Last edited by damien666; Jun 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:31 PM

Name:  GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  11.9 KBLatest pic of engine bay as promised, will all change over next few weeks with new engine going in.

Quick Reply: Evo IV build sleeper