EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain-22/)
-   -   BLOWN: Crankshaft Angle Sensor (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-engine-turbo-drivetrain/94168-blown-crankshaft-angle-sensor.html)

Vroompsh Aug 16, 2004 01:13 PM

BLOWN: Crankshaft Angle Sensor

To start off the weekend i took my evo to Altered Atmosphere Motorsports to have their new intake installed and do a couple dyno pulls. Everything went well, the intake sounds awesome, and boy so does that stock BOV. Drove it all day sunday, and it was flawless, but at around 9 pm on sunday night the car stalled in the middle of a turn at around 15 mph. The engine completely died, but everything else in the car remained on and working properly.i tried starting it again, and no dice. the starter motor cranked and turned over the engine, but it didnt fire up. After checking over the distributors, plug caps, and fuses, i was stumped as to what the problem was. So i got it towed this morning to Altered and they checked the car over, nothing seemed out of place...then they brought out the diagnostic scanner. They told me my crank angle sensor is not working, and i need a new one :crap: . $75 for the sensor and $225 for install. I didnt want to take my car to the :mitsu: dealership in fear of my warranty being blown over this sensor. I asked Alex at the shop whos got a sweet evo with 368whp, and he said he hasnt had this problem and niether has anyone else he'd talked to.

So i guess this blown sensor is just a defective piece, but has anyone experienced this yet?

Secret Chimp Aug 16, 2004 01:30 PM

Why does it cost so much in labor to replace this sensor? It is easily accessible on the front of the engine....

SC~

YellowFever Aug 16, 2004 01:32 PM

This same issue happened to someone else on this board.. there engine stalled and
Like MalibuJack says in here.. it is possible that this sensor is knocked when installing anything from the intake side (intake, upper i/c pipes, etc.)

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
The easiest thing at the moment is to pull the code off the ECU with an OBD-II scanner.. Its likely if you have a no-start condition that it has a code.. if you turn the ignition on, and not crank the car, the CEL light should go off if it doesnt, it has a code that might enlighten you..

It could be several things.. check the connector for the cam angle sensor too.. Its on the right front of the head and easy to bump into when working on the intake portion of the car...

You could have a bad fuel pump, but its unlikely you'll be able to get much info until you pull a code if it got one......

YellowFever Aug 16, 2004 01:33 PM

Hope someone pays for it - good luck :thumbup:

ShapeGSX Aug 16, 2004 01:44 PM

Buy the sensor and replace it yourself. A couple bolts, some grey RTV and you are done.

EvoJimbo Aug 16, 2004 01:45 PM

I broke mine when I took out the SSQV. The BOV was too big and rested on the sensor. I got a replacement from my dealer for under 50 bux.

Vroompsh Aug 16, 2004 01:57 PM

so it's not really that hard to install the new sensor? would i have to lift the car to do it?...because this is the thing...the car is at altered and the part is on order...this isn't a how-to thread on this is there :confused: :confused:

MalibuJack Aug 16, 2004 02:08 PM

Its pretty easy, the sensor itself basically held on by one bolt.. if the entire shutter wheel is damaged, then its kinda time consuming to do since the cover where the sensor is mounted would need to be removed.. But its all accessible from the top of the engine.

The car does not need to be jacked up to access.. if you look at the valve cover, its the wiring connector on the bottom right-corner of the valve cover (more or less) It has a weatherpack plug, and it sticks up slightly, the plug has 2 or 3 wires, and additional 1 wire (looks to be a ground wire)

if you look at your exhaust manifold head shield, the sensor is about 1" to the right, but on the side of the head, near the hose for your breather on the valve cover..

FWIW if the shop does it, its not more than 2 hours of labor, at the standard rate, 2 hours should not be more than $150 in labor. Parts should cost from $50 to $100 depending on if just the sensor is defective. If its just the sensor itself, it really should take about 25 minutes at most to install.

berkel Aug 16, 2004 02:11 PM

Hi,

I broke mine when adjusting my bov. :( Got a replacement from a dealer, but there was no way to plug the harness in, so I ended up splicing it. Another member recently posted a similar thing.

Anyway, I don't think it should be $225 to install, it easy except for the lack of harness plugging in. You can just kind of slide the 3 wires on and solder it...

Here are a couple of pics of my broken one:

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...lg_cas1-xl.jpg

https://www.evolutionm.net/registry/...lg_cas2-xl.jpg

See where the brown piece looks like you could unplug it and plug in the replacement? It doesn't really come apart, so I had to kind of hack at it. Ugly, but it works. I'm kind of surprised after reading how sensitive the thing is.

Take care,

FB

Vroompsh Aug 16, 2004 02:13 PM

hmmm...i might have to cancel the apointment for service and just get the part.

erioshi Aug 16, 2004 06:08 PM

OK, I'm confused the thread title says cam angle sensor and your first post lists the crank angle sensor.

If it's the crank angle sensor, it's located behind the timing belt and balance shaft pullies (I think). There have been a couple of threads about problems with the crank angle sensor, but both were probably caused by debris getting down by the base of the timing belt.

If it's just the cam angle sensor it will be much easier.

EvoJimbo Aug 16, 2004 06:31 PM

He said camshaft angle sensor which si the one pictured above. Buy a replacement and screw it back into place. If they charge u 225 for install tell them to screw themselves. Takes less than 1 min to install

MalibuJack Aug 16, 2004 06:57 PM

Yeah, I just went back and reread his post.. the title says camshaft, but the body says crankshaft.. A world of difference in the labor to replace the crank angle sensor.

Vroompsh Aug 16, 2004 09:01 PM

woooops you guys are right...i meant CRANK angle sensor (stupid mistake) as i said in the body of my post (if there's any way to fix the thread title that'd be greatly appreciated).. but yeah the one that's located towards the bottom of the engine by the pulleys is shot...

MalibuJack Aug 16, 2004 09:40 PM

Yeah, thats gonna take a bit more effort to fix.. about 3-4 hours labor..

I guess something somehow got in there and thrashed it... its really rare to have the crank sensor (even the cam sensor) fail for no reason..

BTW, Either of those sensors going bad will result in a no-start symptom.. thats why doing an OBD-II scan is important.. Probably the most important "tool" you can get if you like working on your own Evo..

Vroompsh Aug 17, 2004 07:29 AM

OK, so i wanted to make sure that 225, which would be 3 hours labor at their cost was fair. I don't know how the sensor got screwed up, but hey, what are you going to do. And the OBD scan was key because the mechanics at Altered were stumped until they scanned it...definitly a clutch tool. Thanks for all your help, and thanks for fixing the Title {thumbup}

Quickshift Aug 17, 2004 07:35 AM

Dam 225 for the install!!! thats just crazy. You can do it in about 30min. The sensor is held in place by a bolt that is under the casing. I dont even think you have to take the casing off to get to it.

Quickshift Aug 17, 2004 07:39 AM

Ok so I just re-read the post. You say it is the crank postion sensor? thats another story. Also with that make sure you oil is change at the same time this is done. I knew of one other evo that had this problem , but it was releated to the crank walking and hitting the sensor. If I where you I would revert the mods and take it back seeing as how you do not have much to anything done on your evo. Just to be safe incase it is a problem releated to the crank walking. Because it is pretty hard to break the sensor, but then again it could be some faulty wiring in the sensor.

MYEVO8U Aug 17, 2004 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quickshift
Ok so I just re-read the post. You say it is the crank postion sensor? thats another story. Also with that make sure you oil is change at the same time this is done. I knew of one other evo that had this problem , but it was releated to the crank walking and hitting the sensor. If I where you I would revert the mods and take it back seeing as how you do not have much to anything done on your evo. Just to be safe incase it is a problem releated to the crank walking. Because it is pretty hard to break the sensor, but then again it could be some faulty wiring in the sensor.

Any old school DSM'rs having nightmares about "crankwalk" after reading this post??? This had better not be a new trend with the EVO.

MitsuJoe Aug 19, 2004 09:24 PM

I just broke my damn sensor messing with my BOV...damn it must be a common thing. (Well a common thing for idiots like me!)

Anyways anybody have the part # for this sensor?

EvoJimbo Aug 20, 2004 07:39 AM

Im an idiot too, Ive broken mine. There should be a part number on the camshaft sensor

Originally Posted by Joe's_EVO8
I just broke my damn sensor messing with my BOV...damn it must be a common thing. (Well a common thing for idiots like me!)

Anyways anybody have the part # for this sensor?

MitsuJoe Aug 20, 2004 08:50 AM

It is MD327107....

4ce fed Aug 20, 2004 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MYEVO8U
Any old school DSM'rs having nightmares about "crankwalk" after reading this post??? This had better not be a new trend with the EVO.

Uh, I am. I had one of my Eclipses crankwalk. I don't want to hear about it.

berkel Aug 20, 2004 10:33 AM

First, sorry for misinterpreting the cam sensor vs the crank sensor.

Second, I feel slightly better that I'm not the only guy that broke mine. ;)

Take care,

FB

l2r99gst Aug 20, 2004 11:57 AM

That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw broken crankshaft position sensor...crankwalk. I sure hope that's not what has happened here. I know any car can walk, but for the people here who aren't familiar with DSMs, this is a somewhat common problem on early 2G 95-97 DSMs and there really is no known cause or fix. There are some theories and some possible fixes, but nothing definite.

This post definitely scared me abou the EVOs. Let's just hope it was something else or this was a 1 in a million thing.

Eric

EvolvedDSM Aug 20, 2004 02:24 PM

You read my mind ;)

Vroompsh-
What direction were you turning when this happened?

2003evolution Oct 5, 2004 08:24 AM

it did happend to my evo.. but i send it to dealership and they replaced this part while under warranty. whew.. THANK GOD THE WARRANTY STILL GOOD!! mine Abt 400whp now. {thumbup}

2k4EvoVIII Oct 5, 2004 08:36 AM

Well i had mine go out also. I just ordered a new one yesterday and next day air it in. But its not accessible from the front of the engine. Im going to have to pull the engine out agian to replace it. Man this is getting to be a pain!

EDIT** Correct me if im wrong but is that not the CAS sensor that broke on your car? "Crank angle sensor" I broke my crankshaft positioning sensor and that is why i posted what i did. Sorry i should have read the whole thread first. Always jumping to conclusions. LOL..

Chris