Notices

2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.

1st off I'll say that this is an EASY job if you have the right tools. and tho I still have an issue to solve with a clearance problem on the block, this is a worth while mod and cheap to do.
Tools used:
22mm impact socket for 1/2" drive impact. (I used one from Harbor Freight)
14mm box end wrench for the tensioner pulley. (I also used a 3/4 wrench as a cheater for leverage and room to get at the belt)
Impact gun. (cheap harbor freight one took just a few seconds till the crank bolt broke loose.)
10mm socket or wrench for disconnecting the battery
Jack & stand for behind the suspension.

I was using the OBX pulley, there is an RRM version as well.
1st off, disconnect the battery, Jack up the vehicle and support the passenger side with a jack stand. Remove the wheel assembly. (no need to turn the wheel, there is plenty of room)
2nd, using a flat head screw driver, pry out the center of the plastic clips on the splash shield and remove. (there are 7 of them on the O-sport)
3rd, using the impact gun and 22mm socket, hammer the crank bolt in reverse till it breaks loose and remove the bolt.
4th, from underneath, use the 16mm box end wrench on the pulley directly above & to the right of the crank pulley, use the 3/4 wrench on the end of the 16mm for leverage, apply force in a counter clockwise motion, then remove the belt from the crank pulley and push it to the right of the wheel opening.
5th, grab the pulley with 2 hands, and pull towards you. NO need for a pulley or balancer puller, it will slide off with you just pulling it.
6th, install the new pulley in the reverse way you pulled the other one off. Use a little oil on the crank bolt when re-installing.
Make sure the belt is lined up on the lower pulley next to the crank when you put it back on. reinstalling the belt is the same as putting it on, so get to it.

The pics will show the rest. It took about an hour just being lazy about it and taking pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001295.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001301.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001297.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001300.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001303.jpg  

Old Jun 22, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

There is a hitch at the moment with the pulley/block clearance.
I had a friend watch as I bumped the motor over after the install, he noticed right away that the pulley was turning against the ridges.
There is 2 spots on the outside of the block that protrude enough that the back of the pulley is locking down on them and not the face of the crank. There's 2 options here, protect the crank and grind back the ridges, OR,,,,, see if they can make a NEW pulley that takes these raised edges into account. Option 3 that I don't particularly care for is a shim between the crank and the pulley.
The pictures show what I'm dealing with. For now the stock crank is on. I'm seeing if they can make a new pulley, before deciding if I want to grind this area down. I'm not scared to do this by any means, but I'd like to keep the outside of the block un modded for warranty issues. I did measure the pulley's, and stacked them to any differences, there were none, other than the stock pulley is cast to clear the ridges.
Also: I did weigh them both. The stock pulley comes in at just under 5lbs. The new aluminum pulley is basically right on at 1lb.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001294.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001290.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001292.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001293.jpg   2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.-wp_001305.jpg  

Last edited by Krakker; Jun 22, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MITSIBUSHU (Jan 12, 2024)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
4.18 is not "just under 5lbs" it's "just barely over 4" if anything. That's still a huge drop in rotating mass, though. A reduction of over 75%!

Great write up overall. I wonder if the RRM pulley has the correct shape to clear the ridges since they advertise it as compatible with the O. Sport.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice write up.
Appreciate the initial work and Photos!!
That's quite a bit of difference in mass, who else on here had a lightweight pulley that they have but haven't installed yet? I can't recall (was it Hiboost or Texas Travisty)

Too bad it didn't work out right away... Hopefully you'll get it sorted out with the manufacturer.

(Please Don't shave those ridges off your engine block just to mount that crank pulley!)
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

I'm 99% sure HiBoost has one on and installed (RRM), and Tex Trav has one purchased, planned, or possibly installed but hasn't mentioned it.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

hmm, I see.

Don't you have the memory of a bear trap Well, at least I was in the ball park.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 03:56 PM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
hmm, I see.

Don't you have the memory of a bear trap Well, at least I was in the ball park.
Ballpark? You hit it head on
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Nice write up.
Appreciate the initial work and Photos!!
Too bad it didn't work out right away... Hopefully you'll get it sorted out with the manufacturer.
(Please Don't shave those ridges off your engine block just to mount that crank pulley!)
No plans shaving just yet. I'd like to either see if the pulley manufacturer can fab this one (exchange) to work with the new 4b11 block.
There's only about an 1/8" that would need ground back, and I don't see it being a big deal "IF" that's the only way to get one on, however, I'd like to see if the RRM one is compatible. I might just have to make a switch if so.
As EASY as this mod was to do, and the "likes" of the lancer crowd on them, I'm sure I'll be happy once it's done.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I just checked the RRM site, they've got a video of the install of their pulley on this link. http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...roducts_id=790

If you notice, as soon as they pull off the pulley, there's NO ridges on the block. Their site also shows the pulley to fit up to a 2008-2013 Lancer with a 4b11 motor, AND it's listed for the O Sport.
So,,,,,,, I think somebody needs to up their game and make something that fits.
I put in an email to OBX Racing about their pulley, we'll see what happens. I'll keep ya'll informed.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Krakker
Well, I just checked the RRM site, they've got a video of the install of their pulley on this link. http://roadracemotorsports.com/store...roducts_id=790

If you notice, as soon as they pull off the pulley, there's NO ridges on the block. Their site also shows the pulley to fit up to a 2008-2013 Lancer with a 4b11 motor, AND it's listed for the O Sport.
So,,,,,,, I think somebody needs to up their game and make something that fits.
I put in an email to OBX Racing about their pulley, we'll see what happens. I'll keep ya'll informed.
Good catch!
Well, if Texas Travisty haven't installed his RRM CP, then this will definitely be a heads up for him.

I double checked... HiBoost has a '11 O.Sport, so guess that's why he was able to install his without any problems whatsoever.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yep 2011 OS for me, i don't remember seeing any ridges there, probably could just clearance it with a grinding stone being aluminum if need be.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good catch!
Well, if Texas Travisty haven't installed his RRM CP, then this will definitely be a heads up for him.

I double checked... HiBoost has a '11 O.Sport, so guess that's why he was able to install his without any problems whatsoever.

I also have a 2011 O.S, did anyone get a confirmation on HIBOOST's install with the RRM Pulley cause that is what I will be running as well. wonder why the casting marks were added, just seems like a waste of metal to add that on in later models.

Hopefully HIBOOST had an easy install on his 2011, fingers crossed.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

^
Yes, Hiboost just confirmed in post#12. Well, I'm not sure if it's with the RRM pulley or not. Damn, I guess I should've asked him first before I typed...

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jun 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

This is disturbing for 2013 4b11 owners. I wonder if these ridges are on ALL the new motors? Guess I'll have to see what's up in the Lancer forums and ask if anyone's ran into this issue.
Since it's the wifes getter, she say's NO grinding on the motor. (for now) I'd like to think that some careful complaining to the manufacturer might spawn a redesign in the pulley so that if fits like it should.
A spacer will NOT work in this case since the pulley has to sit in the correct spot for the belt not to bind and ride off of the pulley. This really sucks for the moment, since it was such a simple install. Luckily I only got a revolution or less out of the bump I gave the starter.
I'll be letting RRM know about the issue as well.

Quick Reply: 2013 Aluminum Crank Pulley install. detailed.