Notices

2013 Outlander Sport > Peugeot 4008 > Citroen C4 AirCross

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2013 Outlander Sport > Peugeot 4008 > Citroen C4 AirCross

Interesting to see what the French are doing with Mitsu's O.Sport platform.

Outlander Sport:

Peugeot 4008:

Personally, the Peugeot doesn't look all that bad..

Citroen C4 AirCross:

Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will take the peugeot please haha.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SubtleStyle
i will take the peugeot please haha.
Ha..
Well, at least those French know how to show off our platform's 4WD capabilities >

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:25 AM

It looks like they also get a Manual Diesel WITH AWD. NA 5spds are limited to FWD with the underpowered 2.0L gas. I'd take a deisel over it anyday, but I bet the CVT can't handle any torque, I wonder if they ever get the CVT.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tdott
It looks like they also get a Manual Diesel WITH AWD. NA 5spds are limited to FWD with the underpowered 2.0L gas. I'd take a deisel over it anyday, but I bet the CVT can't handle any torque, I wonder if they ever get the CVT.
Well, I know that Nissan has their tiny Jukes turning out 180HP / 177Torque (1.6L Turbo inline 4) AND their Muranos cranking out 265HP / 248Torque (from a 3.5L V6) with their CVTs!!! So it's very likely Mitsu CAN design a tougher CVT unit. The engineering and materials used has already been R&D by Nissan.

If anything, Mitsu can buy Nissan's CVTs.

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:11 AM

It was Road Rage who designed the turbo kit for their 5spd said that the CVT couldn't handle the torque so it was 5spd/fwd only.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

It was Road Rage who designed the turbo kit for their 5spd said that the CVT couldn't handle the torque so it was 5spd/fwd only.
As it is currently with our CVTs, I have no doubt that it can Not handle more.
I'm just saying that there Are CVTs out there from other manufacturers that can.

Perhaps a CVT Transplant MOD is in order if someone wants to experiment with more powerful engines.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:31 AM

Agreed, it should be possible, but someone needs to do the research and testing. My feeling is that road rage didn't do actual testing just assumed it couldn't hold the power. Short of any actual testing and breaking of CVTs I don't think anyone will know for sure.

Even though the CVT unit might be the same or similar, I'm sure the housings are different and probably won't bolt up. They might all even have different specs. The electronics and programing of shift points are probably all different as well. But likely no one knows because these are still so new, I bet no one has taken it apart and compared side by side yet.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Agreed, it should be possible, but someone needs to do the research and testing. My feeling is that road rage didn't do actual testing just assumed it couldn't hold the power. Short of any actual testing and breaking of CVTs I don't think anyone will know for sure.

Even though the CVT unit might be the same or similar, I'm sure the housings are different and probably won't bolt up. They might all even have different specs. The electronics and programing of shift points are probably all different as well. But likely no one knows because these are still so new, I bet no one has taken it apart and compared side by side yet.
And, I'm willing to bet the only reason we haven't seen any/many shops or individuals do a teardown of the CVTs IS because you can't get individual parts for these units, you can Only buy the Whole thing from the dealer/manufacturer.

Well... I suppose someone can get their hands on a salvaged CVT from a junkyard.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mRVRsport
And, I'm willing to bet the only reason we haven't seen any/many shops or individuals do a teardown of the CVTs IS because you can't get individual parts for these units, you can Only buy the Whole thing from the dealer/manufacturer.

Well... I suppose someone can get their hands on a salvaged CVT from a junkyard.
Yup that's it. But as the vehicles get older and transmission shops become more familiar with CVTs that might change. For now, if someone was out of warranty and needed a replacement a used one from the a junk yard (assuming someone has a crashed one) would be the best bet.

It's like this for many new parts, but it changes when the aftermarket part makers start catching up.

Dual Clutch Transmissions are almost the same, no one knows how to service them yet. Some dealers fly people in from Germany.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Yup that's it. But as the vehicles get older and transmission shops become more familiar with CVTs that might change. For now, if someone was out of warranty and needed a replacement a used one from the a junk yard (assuming someone has a crashed one) would be the best bet.

It's like this for many new parts, but it changes when the aftermarket part makers start catching up.

Dual Clutch Transmissions are almost the same, no one knows how to service them yet. Some dealers fly people in from Germany.
Hopefully that's the case...
From what I've heard/read seems like more and more manufacturers are making it Even More Difficult to work on their vehicles by owners OR indy mechanics... Unless you have access to specialty tools and/or training (ie: Dealerships) OR, better yet if you can even get your hands on the needed parts.

It's one way to "lock down" / "lock out" those independent used-car market and force potential pre-own Buyers to make their purchase Only at authorized used-car dealers... meaning dealerships (in their Brand franchises - Certified Pre-Own). Or, more likely get people to consider Lease options.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:50 PM

Actually, its not Mitsu who makes our CVTs, but Jatco, and they use the exact same CVT on the X-trail (170 HP, 230Nm) as well as the Compass and Patriot from Jeep(172HP) and the 2.4L Outlander from Mitsu. That means the CVT can easily handle 170-180 HP at the very least.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:05 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The JATCO JF011E is what is in the O-Sport/RVR and it's rated up to a 2.5L motor. JATCO used to list a LOT more info on their website but I just checked and they took it all down... no idea why.

Anyways, the Juke uses a slightly different CVT, the CVT07 or something, and IDK if it's rated at more that the JF011E or not. Either way, the CVT in the OS/RVR should be good for at LEAST 180HP/180TQ, and maybe 200/200. If you search around for the JF011E you can find a LOT more info on it. It's the same trans as the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Patriot, Nissan Murano, and many other cars/small SUV's
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:35 PM

i wonder if there is way to get them mirror caps with the turn signals built in.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SubtleStyle
i wonder if there is way to get them mirror caps with the turn signals built in.
Well, from the looks of them.. you can get Peugeot's/Citroen's side mirrors with the turn signals built in and just mount the whole unit on our vehicles because the shape of the door's A frame looks identical to ours.

You may need to MOD the wiring to get the signals to work proper though this these units... (But, who knows maybe the wiring harness is already pre-wired for that.)

UPDATE:
I just saw this... Apparently, Mitsu has these (for their ASX - European O.sport model, so they should be a direct fit) >

Last edited by mRVRsport; Jan 25, 2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Outlander Sport > Peugeot 4008 > Citroen C4 AirCross