Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I can turbocharge ANYTHING!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...you laugh, but that thing is probably seriously fast
Old May 7, 2007, 05:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Another quick Update.. Small Standalone EFI (That also works with the 4G63 BTW) and costs under $700 Just need a Throttlebody/Injector, IAT sensor, and VW cylinder temp sensor (Instead of a coolant temp), and narrowband O2 sensor (will be using the Innovate LC-1 narrowband output if I can figure out how to tuck it in there). The hardest part for me is figuring out the crank/cam sensor, fortunately the engine is already electronic ignition, and there's a CDI box and Ignition box, so I'm assuming there are sensor outputs from inside the engine for both that I can use.

The entire standalone is 6"x3.5"x.9" Not sure where I'm going to put it, but the fact that something exists and will work is amazing.

I have a feeling there is a little too much now to fit in the bike, so now its a packaging concern.. But I have all of the components to work. EFI Means yet another pump, so I may stick with high and low pressure inline pumps and hope they don't crap out.

I decided to build the vintage 1969 CB350 frame into a rolling chassis, and this one seems to have more room for it, but we'll see next weekend. as I am waiting on both the Kikker to arrive, and the parts for the CB350 (its going to be an old-style chopper, when chopping meant piecing together parts from other bikes, its just something I always wanted to do)

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 7, 2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old May 17, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Got my KP31 today from smart car. Wow this guy is cool. Pictures dont do it. You have to see these things in person.

Jack, can you post ind and exducer specs of the turbo you have? Would really like to get to the bottom of who makes the smallest turbo.

KKK KP31
compressor inducer= 22.5mm exducer=33mm
turbine inducer=31mm exducer=25.5mm

Old May 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the vw turbo..lol
Old May 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
EvoM Guru

I'll have to get that info from IHI, Both of the turbos are basically using identical center sections, the physical appearance is slightly difference, and size is the same.

The hot side housing on the turbo I'm playing with is clearly smaller than the one in the photo you posted, but I'll get the actual dimensional specs from IHI.

FWIW the inducer and exducer sizes measured with my caliper were virtually the same as yours.

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 17, 2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

NVm..WICKED small..that rs is bigger than it..lol
Old May 17, 2007, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
I'll have to get that info from IHI, Both of the turbos are basically using identical center sections, the physical appearance is slightly difference, and size is the same.

The hot side housing on the turbo I'm playing with is clearly smaller than the one in the photo you posted, but I'll get the actual dimensional specs from IHI.

FWIW the inducer and exducer sizes measured with my caliper were virtually the same as yours.
I just comparred it side by side to my friends IHI. I think only one company is making the turbo. the center section looks the same. The compressor wheel looks the same size. The IHI uses 4 bade compressor, this KKK uses 5 blade. It looked like the compressor covers would swap. The casting of the center section looked identical. offset three bolt on turbine housing and snap ring on compressor cover.

The exhaust houisng looks bulky because it is cast with the three cylinder manifold. It also has an emmisions port off the back. I chopped the manifold off. It was of no use for the project I plan. Internally the passages are tiny.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; May 17, 2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old May 18, 2007, 12:19 AM

That would be a big cloud of smoke... from the tire
Old May 18, 2007, 05:34 AM
EvoM Guru

You have to think, power to weight is everything, on a small bike, either this Kikker or my other project bike a 69 CB350 chopper, are both around 200-300 pounds, a pretty typical motor for these small light bikes made between 15-25hp, the Kikker comes with a 10hp motor. Certainly not a very fast bike, but its not supposed to be. My experiment was to take a smaller more fuel efficient motor (200cc) and improve the power it can make by about 50%, probably more utilizing EFI since it has a huge impact on the ability to tune. So your talking about power ranging from 30-50hp, 60-70hp is pretty average for a cruiser, 100hp is on the high side, and those bikes weigh between 450-750 pounds. So you can see that with the right gearing, you should get performance similar. Honestly a small light bike is terrible for highway driving where the roads aren't perfectly smooth, or your prone to getting passed by trucks. But its an engineering excercise as ultimately the turbocharged EFI setup is intended to run E85 and the configuration and technology will be transferred over to my much larger cruiser, then packaged for other large cruisers. My honda VLX600 is a much better platform for these turbos because its already water cooled, and has a pressurized lubrication system with an external oil cooler, so the hardest part would be the location of the turbo and fabrication of a header for a V-Twin motor and finding a location for all of the EFI hardware

Last edited by MalibuJack; May 18, 2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old May 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
EvoM Guru

I did have a change of plans on the Kikker though, The engine I will be using instead of the 200cc vertical is a 140cc horizontal making 17hp, its a bolt-on swap for the 10hp 110cc horizintal motor, and has a pressurized lubrication system and oil cooler which should work well enough to keep the turbo alive. In this case I might not use any water cooling of the center section initially as there is some documentation that water cooling on these center sections is "optional", not so sure that gives me the warm and fuzzy, but packaging is pretty difficult and I was originally hoping to find a manual transmissioned twin engine from an ATV to use which is already water cooled. But that never panned out. Plus the Kikker itself is a bit small for me to ride and enjoy, so it has to remain a local hopper and test-bed, which means it probably won't get hot enough to roast the turbo anyway.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Turns out with a set of custom engine mounts, the 200cc engine fits without much difficulty, even the wiring is compatible. I mocked up a set of motor mounts to get the engine lined up so I could trace some templates to cut the plates out of. The only hard part is I'll need a new chain, and a tensioner to get everything drivable.

Once I get the motor running and rest of the Kikker together, I will start fabricating the turbo components needed. Unfortunately I now need a plasma cutter and tig welder to continue, so I have one on the way.
Old May 25, 2007, 08:25 AM
Account Disabled

how u gonna run extra fuel
Old May 25, 2007, 09:01 AM
EvoM Guru

EFI and and of course an electric fuel pump.
Old May 26, 2007, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

dang thats soo sick! must be a blast to drive. will it be automatic or a 3-4speed tranny?
Old May 26, 2007, 07:48 AM
EvoM Guru

5 speed manual, the extra gear should give it a top speed of over 70mph, but there's no way I would go that fast on it.

Quick Reply: I can turbocharge ANYTHING!