Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Do I trade the Evo for an FRS?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I trade the Evo for an FRS?

the Evo is loud, rough, no power anything, expensive to maintain.

FRS is cheap, RWD and fun.

Do I trade the EVO for an FRS? I know the FRS will be a lot slower, but more fun?

or do I spend like $5k and get the Evo to be quiet, smoother, etc. (like add sound deadening, change bushings, clutch will need changed soon, etc.) probably a Turbo rebuild soon.

111,xxx miles on Evo.

I really dont want to to get rid of the Evo....but a newer car....or maybe a used X MR.

What would you do?

Last edited by Lancerguy'03; Dec 23, 2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
the Evo is loud, rough, no power anything, expensive to maintain.

FRS is cheap, RWD and fun.

Do I trade the EVO for an FRS? I know the FRS will be a lot slower, but more fun?

or do I spend like $5k and get the Evo to be quiet, smoother, etc. (like add sound deadening, change bushings, clutch will need changed soon, etc.) probably a Turbo rebuild soon.

111,xxx miles on Evo.

I really dont want to to get rid of the Evo....but a newer car....or maybe a used X MR.

What would you do?

You mentioned a X... Why not go that route. GSR or MR? I have zero experience with the FRS, but you said you dont want to get rid of the Evo. So just get a new or newer one!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

i think a X would be a little more than I want to spend right now. plus I am looking at the Automatic FRS, something to be an easier DD but still be fun for spirited driving.

ive had my Evo for 7 years now.

Last edited by Lancerguy'03; Dec 23, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I've driven one BRZ/FRS and loved everything about it...except the engine. Great chassis, suspension, steering, handling, interior...but the engine was so boring I was tempted to start checking work emails during a WOT pull. If you get one, budget for a supercharger kit right away.

I actually have a buddy up in MN looking to sell his FRS A/T: http://www.mitsustyle.com/forums/sho...2013+FRS+Scion

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 23, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
I've driven one BRZ/FRS and loved everything about it...except the engine. Great chassis, suspension, steering, handling, interior...but the engine was so boring I was tempted to start checking work emails during a WOT pull. If you get one, budget for a supercharger kit right away.
I have to agree. I had a buddy who was given one as a loaner while his Subie was in the shop, I got to drive it a few times. Loved the car, but it was definitely lacking in power.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:03 AM

If you were going to go that route, why not find a low mileage s2000, lol.

It is about as practical, the motor is much more fun, the gearbox is one of the best.

Must I add if you wanted a car like that, wouldnt the genesis coupe be a great option as well?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I'd do a pro's and con's list for each car. That always seems to help me. In addition, focus on what you dislike the most about the evo and see how much that one item would be to fix/change. It may just make you fall back in love with the car.

Speaking as someone who has sold three prior evo's to get more family friendly, luxury replacement vehicles- I've always regretted it.

But like the others have said, I'd be weary on the power of he FRS without some form of forced induction. Good luck!

Travis
Old Dec 23, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

What I dont like about the Evo RS

no sound deadening, no power locks, no power windows, the stereo, and the loud exhaust, the rough ride. in addition to the paint being ****ty and no cruise control.

Things I can change I guess. after thinking more about it...probably just dump more $$$ in the Evo and "fix it up".

Get all new bushings, rebuild the suspension or get stock Bilsteins, get a quieter exhaust, upgrade the audio system and get some Dynomat installed in the doors and floor.

or save all this money and get something newer. first world problems.

Last edited by Lancerguy'03; Dec 23, 2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my IX RS for 5 years and also driven a good number of modded and stock S2000/FRS. I used to feel my Evo was a drag for daily too - loud interior, unforgiving clutch, harsh NVH, turbo lag, cheap interior etc.

my vote is to get a cheap daily and save the Evo for the weekends, that way you'll enjoy the power, handling and the rawness when it counts. having a dedicated DD also means you'll keep the Evo in better shape - lower mileage, less susceptible to damage etc. - the savings in gas and maintenance from not driving the Evo will pay for the DD in a few years.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would trade you my power everything for your non-power rs in a heartbeat! roll up windows would be annoying but everything else can go!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

well running some numbers and such...

I only drive 6 miles to work. so that will save me a lot from when I was going to college and driving a lot more. i need to get used to that.

and now understanding Credit Cards and having an income to be able to pay CC debt, my Credit interest rate is 6.9% instead of an auto loan just spend some $$$ at EvoD.

so maybe it makes more sense to invest a little into the Evo to get it more of what I want. like high mileage maintenance stuff, change out the suspension, all new bushings, motor mounts, new radio/sub, quiet exhaust, etc.

Last edited by Lancerguy'03; Dec 23, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
I would trade you my power everything for your non-power rs in a heartbeat! roll up windows would be annoying but everything else can go!
trade cars or just trade out the window and door lock stuff?

I wouldnt mind just having the front be powered.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by turbotboz
I'd do a pro's and con's list for each car. That always seems to help me. In addition, focus on what you dislike the most about the evo and see how much that one item would be to fix/change. It may just make you fall back in love with the car.

Speaking as someone who has sold three prior evo's to get more family friendly, luxury replacement vehicles- I've always regretted it.

But like the others have said, I'd be weary on the power of he FRS without some form of forced induction. Good luck!

Travis
this guy Travis, seems like a really smart guy, for an Evo owner
I wish you were in NTEC, which is my only additional advice-
We need to see more of lancerguy03 !
I used to to know a guy w/an Evo8rs
The club isn't the same as it was when you were around, but it can be what you make it; you can set up meets and make meets what you like them to be.
It seems to me, you need to come out to play more often-
you'll fall in love w/it all over again- i do!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 05:54 PM

I've thought about trading in for an FR-S but just the lack of power is what stops me. And this last ice storm we had made me thankful for having awd.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I considered and FRS when I wanted to trade in my truck, far too little power. I bought an infiniti G37S coupe 6MT and love it! It is as quick as an X, but much nicer inside. Very quiet, and a great audio system.

Quick Reply: Do I trade the Evo for an FRS?